Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts - Mozilla ; I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that come out garbled. So I want to switch the display option to plain text ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    come out garbled.

    So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?

    Thanks,

    --Aran

  2. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Arancaytar wrote:
    > I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    > subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    > come out garbled.
    >
    > So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    > set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    > find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Aran

    View-->message body as--> and switch to original HTML when you get
    the two newsletters

    then go back to plain text.

  3. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Arancaytar wrote:
    >> I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    >> subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    >> come out garbled.
    >>
    >> So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    >> set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    >> find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> --Aran

    > View-->message body as--> and switch to original HTML when you get
    > the two newsletters
    >
    > then go back to plain text.

    Also add the address of the mail to address book and tick allow remote
    images in HTML and in button that shows unknown click and change to
    html. That way it also that address to send and receive HTML

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org
    G4-500 Mac 1.5 GB RAM OSX.3.9 G4-1.67 GB PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

  4. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On Oct 6, 5:11*pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    wrote:
    > Arancaytar wrote:
    > > I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    > > subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    > > come out garbled.

    > > So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    > > set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    > > find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?

    > > Thanks,

    > > --Aran

    > View-->message body as--> * *and switch to original HTML when you get
    > the two newsletters
    >
    > then go back to plain text.

    Yeah, like I'm doing now. This is precisely the inconvenience I would
    like to avoid with an automatic setting, so I don't have to switch
    back and forth every time. Thanks though.

    --
    Aran

  5. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Arancaytar wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 5:11 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    > wrote:
    >> Arancaytar wrote:
    >>> I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    >>> subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    >>> come out garbled.
    >>> So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    >>> set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    >>> find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> --Aran

    >> View-->message body as--> and switch to original HTML when you get
    >> the two newsletters
    >>
    >> then go back to plain text.

    > Yeah, like I'm doing now. This is precisely the inconvenience I would
    > like to avoid with an automatic setting, so I don't have to switch
    > back and forth every time. Thanks though.
    >
    > --
    > Aran

    Well, why switch in the first place. Simply leave it on HTML and be done
    with it.

  6. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 10/6/2008 8:11 AM, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Arancaytar wrote:
    >> I would like to disable HTML view of incoming emails by default, but I
    >> subscribe to two newsletters that do not support plain text, and that
    >> come out garbled.
    >>
    >> So I want to switch the display option to plain text by default, but
    >> set it to full HTML for these two specific addresses. I can't seem to
    >> find an option or even an addon for this. Is it possible?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> --Aran

    > View-->message body as--> and switch to original HTML when you get
    > the two newsletters
    >
    > then go back to plain text.

    The Buttons! extension
    provides a button that toggles between plain text and original HTML.

    --
    Irwin

  7. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On Oct 6, 6:35*pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    wrote:
    > Well, why switch in the first place. Simply leave it on HTML and be done
    > with it.

    Because HTML emails are an abomination and the only reason I read them
    at all is so I don't need to click a link to see the comic strip or
    the newsletter.

    Even worse, many of the HTML emails are spam, and even without
    pictures are simply ugly crap I don't want to see.

    Thanks Irwin - toggling with a button is far nicer than having to
    select it from that drop-down menu.

    --
    Aran

  8. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Arancaytar wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 6:35 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote:
    >> Well, why switch in the first place. Simply leave it on HTML and be
    >> done with it.

    > Because HTML emails are an abomination and the only reason I read them
    > at all is so I don't need to click a link to see the comic strip or
    > the newsletter.

    Yeah that's a real abomination fer sure!
    > Even worse, many of the HTML emails are spam, and even without
    > pictures are simply ugly crap I don't want to see.

    If you are getting spam you're getting spam. This is regardless of
    whether you have HTML rendering on or not - you're still getting spam.
    As for pictures... well you are indeed behind the times now aren't you?
    IIRC TB does not render any images until or unless you tell it it's OK
    to do so, of if the sender is in your addressbook already and you have
    said that it's OK to render pictures from this sender. And if your
    friends are spamming you... well then you have problems that TB cannot
    resolve and I highly recommend you talk to your friends WRT spamming!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Think "honk" if you're telepathic.

  9. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 07.10.2008 11:13, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    >> On Oct 6, 6:35 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote:
    >>> Well, why switch in the first place. Simply leave it on HTML and be
    >>> done with it.

    >> Because HTML emails are an abomination and the only reason I read them
    >> at all is so I don't need to click a link to see the comic strip or
    >> the newsletter.

    > Yeah that's a real abomination fer sure!
    >> Even worse, many of the HTML emails are spam, and even without
    >> pictures are simply ugly crap I don't want to see.

    > If you are getting spam you're getting spam. This is regardless of
    > whether you have HTML rendering on or not - you're still getting spam.
    > As for pictures... well you are indeed behind the times now aren't you?
    > IIRC TB does not render any images until or unless you tell it it's OK
    > to do so, of if the sender is in your addressbook already and you have
    > said that it's OK to render pictures from this sender. And if your
    > friends are spamming you... well then you have problems that TB cannot
    > resolve and I highly recommend you talk to your friends WRT spamming!

    View => Message Body as => Plain text will allow him to view his spam
    without any html formatting. :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org

  10. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    "Even without pictures" refers to exactly the fact that Thunderbird
    does not show them. The presence of stupid formatting and ugly layout
    is still annoying, though.

    As is the insistence of some non-spamming people that Comic Sans is
    the non-plus-ultra in fonts.

    (Rant over :P )

  11. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Arancaytar wrote:
    > "Even without pictures" refers to exactly the fact that Thunderbird
    > does not show them. The presence of stupid formatting and ugly layout
    > is still annoying, though.
    >
    > As is the insistence of some non-spamming people that Comic Sans is
    > the non-plus-ultra in fonts.

    Right. All HTML formatting has to always, 100% of the time, be stupid.
    In fact it's been proven that there is no other kind of formatting in
    HTML email but stupid - smart formatting just doesn't exist! And the
    same goes for layout. There is just no way in hell that one can produce
    a pleasing layout using HTML email! We all know that plain text
    formatting is extremely beautiful!
    > (Rant over :P )

    Ditto!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Ultimate office automation: networked coffee.

  12. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 07.10.2008 19:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 07.10.2008 11:13, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    and just WHERE is the fun in that??
    He won't know where to order his next dose of Vi-Agra from, without the
    gif inserted into the HTML mail.

    reg

  13. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 08.10.2008 06:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Arancaytar to
    generate the following:? :
    > "Even without pictures" refers to exactly the fact that Thunderbird
    > does not show them. The presence of stupid formatting and ugly layout
    > is still annoying, though.
    >
    > As is the insistence of some non-spamming people that Comic Sans is
    > the non-plus-ultra in fonts.
    >
    > (Rant over :P )

    in *YOUR OPINION ONLY* I might say.
    Comic Sans is one of the (if not the) most relaxing fonts to the eyes.
    Rounded edges and light curves are very "easy-going" - but maybe you
    need to see a..... or someone?? Is there such a position as a "rant
    controller" ?

    reg

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Right. All HTML formatting has to always, 100% of the time, be stupid.
    > In fact it's been proven that there is no other kind of formatting in
    > HTML email but stupid - smart formatting just doesn't exist! And the
    > same goes for layout. There is just no way in hell that one can produce
    > a pleasing layout using HTML email! We all know that plain text
    > formatting is extremely beautiful!

    For people that know about page layout and design (in electronic media),
    sure.

    For people like *MY MOTHER* - who seem to insist upon using the largest,
    most obnoxious font with the gaudiest background images - the answer is
    "they are incapable of producing good HTML formatting".

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  15. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 08.10.2008 06:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Arancaytar to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> "Even without pictures" refers to exactly the fact that Thunderbird
    >> does not show them. The presence of stupid formatting and ugly layout
    >> is still annoying, though.
    >>
    >> As is the insistence of some non-spamming people that Comic Sans is
    >> the non-plus-ultra in fonts.
    >>
    >> (Rant over :P )
    >>

    > in *YOUR OPINION ONLY* I might say.

    Such statements indicate the rest of your post is rubbish :-) Comic Sans
    is the font for (so called) artistic, but next to unreadable, text.

    > Comic Sans is one of the (if not the) most relaxing fonts to the eyes.
    > Rounded edges and light curves are very "easy-going" - but maybe you
    > need to see a..... or someone?? Is there such a position as a "rant
    > controller" ?

    That may depend on your age. My experience (which can not be refuted, as
    it is *my experience*) is that sans serif fonts are exceedingly
    difficult to read, generally requiring two or more scans to read
    correctly, supported by the *fact* that many (most?) sans fonts have
    characters with serifs. The nonsensical shapes of Comic Sans make that
    even worse.

    --
    PeeGee

    to be removed from a computer easily."

  16. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 11.10.2008 03:39, PeeGee wrote:

    > That may depend on your age. My experience (which can not be refuted, as
    > it is *my experience*) is that sans serif fonts are exceedingly
    > difficult to read, generally requiring two or more scans to read
    > correctly, supported by the *fact* that many (most?) sans fonts have
    > characters with serifs. The nonsensical shapes of Comic Sans make that
    > even worse.

    It's all in the eyes of the beholder, monitor settings, font size, etc.
    Having been in the over 60 crowd for a good while, I find (personally)
    that Comic Sans is quite pleasant and easy on these old eyes.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org
    Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

  17. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    On 11.10.2008 12:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 11.10.2008 03:39, PeeGee wrote:

    ...... and (since August) I reside in the "over 70's" group - and find
    Comic Sans totally pleasurable (but that may have to do with the
    progressive lack of interest in the females of the specis *lol*) at
    screen-size in TB of 16 pix.
    Mind you - I do run on a PC with 17" and 18.1" screens - not a piddly
    little laptop!

    fu set to moz.gen

    reg

  18. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > For people that know about page layout and design (in electronic
    > media), sure.
    >
    > For people like *MY MOTHER* - who seem to insist upon using the
    > largest, most obnoxious font with the gaudiest background images - the
    > answer is "they are incapable of producing good HTML formatting".

    You'll need to speak to your mom about that. By and large I rarely, if
    every, receive email from any of my relatives or friends with totally
    obnoxious font choices and the gaudiest background images! Maybe it's
    your family or people you hang out with. Or maybe (100 times more
    likely) your just exaggerating.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If you're living on the edge, make sure you're wearing your seat belt.

  19. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    PeeGee wrote:
    >> in *YOUR OPINION ONLY* I might say.

    > Such statements indicate the rest of your post is rubbish :-) Comic
    > Sans is the font for (so called) artistic, but next to unreadable, text.

    You are stating your personal opinion as if it were fact. It's not.
    >> Comic Sans is one of the (if not the) most relaxing fonts to the
    >> eyes. Rounded edges and light curves are very "easy-going" - but
    >> maybe you need to see a..... or someone?? Is there such a position as
    >> a "rant controller" ?

    > That may depend on your age. My experience (which can not be refuted,
    > as it is *my experience*) is that sans serif fonts are exceedingly
    > difficult to read, generally requiring two or more scans to read
    > correctly, supported by the *fact* that many (most?) sans fonts have
    > characters with serifs. The nonsensical shapes of Comic Sans make that
    > even worse.

    We don't need to refute your experience - we just need to note that it's
    your opinion and that others can legitimately have differing opinions.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the

  20. Re: Specifically allow HTML emails only from some contacts

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 11.10.2008 12:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> On 11.10.2008 03:39, PeeGee wrote:

    Personally I find serif fonts too busy for my dyslexic eyes - sans serif
    are easier to handle. But I am wondering about the history of this. I
    suspect that in the days of lead print, serif fonts were more expensive
    to make when compared with sans serif fonts and therefore had a snob
    appeal.

    Anyway, if we want to change the font in a message we are free to do so
    if it makes it easier to read.

    --
    Kevin Pugh

+ Reply to Thread