What does the tiny rectangle mean? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on What does the tiny rectangle mean? - Mozilla ; Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that all about?...

  1. What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my Inbox,
    a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that all about?

  2. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    On 05.10.2008 13:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Restorm to
    generate the following:? :
    > Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my Inbox,
    > a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that all about?

    are you using a "non-default" theme?? Maybe that has something to do
    with the display (perhaps "unread mail" or similar)

    reg

  3. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my Inbox,
    > a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that all about?

    Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be displayed, so
    the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 05.10.2008 13:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Restorm to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    >> all about?
    >>

    > are you using a "non-default" theme?? Maybe that has something to do
    > with the display (perhaps "unread mail" or similar)
    >
    > reg

    I get that using SkyPilot Classic. No big deal to me.

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org
    G4-500 Mac 1.5 GB RAM OSX.3.9 G4-1.67 GB PowerBook 17" 2GB RAM OSX.4.11

  5. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T on 10/6/2008 11:41 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 05.10.2008 13:51, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Restorm to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >>> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    >>> all about?
    >>>

    >> are you using a "non-default" theme?? Maybe that has something to do
    >> with the display (perhaps "unread mail" or similar)
    >>
    >> reg

    > I get that using SkyPilot Classic. No big deal to me.

    Right, SPC tends to sow a thin sliver when the tooltips have now content.

    --
    Ron K.

  6. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    >> all about?

    > Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be displayed,
    > so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    Thanks, Ron.

  7. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    >> all about?

    > Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be displayed,
    > so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    Actually, it just occurred to me that it might make more sense not to
    display anything--not even an empty box--if there's no tooltip to
    display...but I'm sure I must be missing an important rationale.

  8. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Restorm on 10/7/2008 5:38 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >>> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >>> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    >>> all about?

    >> Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be
    >> displayed, so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.
    >>

    > Actually, it just occurred to me that it might make more sense not to
    > display anything--not even an empty box--if there's no tooltip to
    > display...but I'm sure I must be missing an important rationale.

    Some times it's a sign of a flaw in either the default theme, or a custom
    theme. Within the crome DOM (Document Object Model) each node can hade a
    text element. Some have the display set to "none" and no tooltip will be
    displayed. The empty sliver of a box can be a bug in the theme. If this is
    the default theme, a bug report at Bugzilla, with a screen shot showing the
    chrome element generating the oddity, is recommended. For third party
    themes, a report to it's developer is in order.

    --
    Ron K.

  9. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    *-* On Sun, 05 Oct 2008, at 16:50:48 -0400,
    *-* In Article zo-dnbvlLqoGtXTVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Ron K. wrote
    *-* About Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    > Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    >> Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's
    >> that all about?

    > Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be
    > displayed, so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    I've seen that on occasion and wondered what it meant. Thanks to
    Restorm for asking and Ron for knowing the answer. :-D

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  10. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Restorm on 10/7/2008 5:38 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Restorm on 10/5/2008 7:51 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >>>
    >>> Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be
    >>> displayed, so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.
    >>>

    >> Actually, it just occurred to me that it might make more sense not to
    >> display anything--not even an empty box--if there's no tooltip to
    >> display...but I'm sure I must be missing an important rationale.

    > Some times it's a sign of a flaw in either the default theme, or a
    > custom theme. Within the crome DOM (Document Object Model) each node can
    > hade a text element. Some have the display set to "none" and no tooltip
    > will be displayed. The empty sliver of a box can be a bug in the theme.
    > If this is the default theme, a bug report at Bugzilla, with a screen
    > shot showing the chrome element generating the oddity, is recommended.
    > For third party themes, a report to it's developer is in order.

    I'm using the default theme. It doesn't cause me any problems, so I'm
    not going to bother reporting it. Thanks.

  11. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be displayed,
    > so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    I've recently also seen a similar tiny rectangle where a completely
    empty table appeared.

    In the case of the empty table, the tiny rectangle warned me of a bug in
    my CGI script (which shouldn't have generated the table around a lack of
    content), so generally I prefer the tiny rectangle upon no content.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

  12. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Restorm on 10/9/2008 7:26 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Restorm on 10/7/2008 5:38 PM, keyboarded a reply:

    >>> Actually, it just occurred to me that it might make more sense not to
    >>> display anything--not even an empty box--if there's no tooltip to
    >>> display...but I'm sure I must be missing an important rationale.

    >> Some times it's a sign of a flaw in either the default theme, or a
    >> custom theme. Within the crome DOM (Document Object Model) each node
    >> can hade a text element. Some have the display set to "none" and no
    >> tooltip will be displayed. The empty sliver of a box can be a bug in
    >> the theme. If this is the default theme, a bug report at Bugzilla,
    >> with a screen shot showing the chrome element generating the oddity,
    >> is recommended. For third party themes, a report to it's developer is
    >> in order.
    >>

    > I'm using the default theme. It doesn't cause me any problems, so I'm
    > not going to bother reporting it. Thanks.

    For the record, can You identify which chrome elements cause this sliver to
    display. It will be something I will look for when a new theme for Tb 3 is
    being designed and tested.

    --
    Ron K.

  13. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    Swifty on 10/9/2008 10:50 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Its indicating a Tooltip, but there is no text assigned to be
    >> displayed, so the tooltip box collapsed to it's minimum size.

    > I've recently also seen a similar tiny rectangle where a completely
    > empty table appeared.
    >
    > In the case of the empty table, the tiny rectangle warned me of a bug in
    > my CGI script (which shouldn't have generated the table around a lack of
    > content), so generally I prefer the tiny rectangle upon no content.

    I tink we are talking about two different cases. The chrome Theme should
    not have the artifact. Existence in displayed content in the message pane
    can have value as You have indicated.

    --
    Ron K.

  14. Re: What does the tiny rectangle mean?

    ---On 2008.Oct.05 05:51 AM, Restorm wrote:
    > Sometimes, when I put the cursor on one of the folders within my
    > Inbox, a tiny little rectangle appears near the cursor. What's that
    > all about?

    this happens because the tooltip has no data. a tooltip appears over
    the folder if it 1)has new arrivals (a poor attempt to show
    subjects/first line) or 2)a folder name is truncated and the tooltip
    shows the entire name. this is undoubtedly happening for the second
    case, and that is because the index file has not been built or is
    corrupted. if you select the folder, the index file will be auto built
    and the problem should go away.

    note this index file corruption will also prevent new rss messages until
    the folder is selected/index is rebuilt (there's a very brief message in
    statusbar when rebuilding depending on number of messages in the folder).

    it has nothing to do with themes..

+ Reply to Thread