FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache - Mozilla ; Hi all, Short version: I'm using FF3 on Windows XP. Is there a way to set the directory to use for the browser cache? Long version: My FF3 profile doesn't reside in the default location (i.e. under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application ...

  1. FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache

    Hi all,

    Short version: I'm using FF3 on Windows XP. Is there a way to set the
    directory to use for the browser cache?

    Long version: My FF3 profile doesn't reside in the default location
    (i.e. under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla
    \Firefox). Rather I specify a different directory via C:\Documents
    and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini.

    In FF2, the browser cache was written to the proper place - under C:
    \Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data
    \Mozilla\Firefox.

    (That's the proper place because it's not part of the roaming profile,
    and in FF2 there was no sense in roaming the browser cache. FF didn't
    always do the "right thing" here, but I forget what version it was
    fixed in.)

    However, in FF3 the browser cache is written to my user profile
    directory. To me, this is a regression from FF2.[1] Is there a way
    to set the directory to use for the browser cache?

    Thanks,

    Walter

    [1] Though I acknowledge that FF3 supports some kind of website
    offline storage.

  2. Re: FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache

    WalterGR wrote:
    > However, in FF3 the browser cache is written to my user profile
    > directory. To me, this is a regression from FF2.[1] Is there a way
    > to set the directory to use for the browser cache?

    The Firefox 3 cache saves to the local part of the user profile by
    default. I don't know why you're seeing otherwise. We use roaming
    profiles where I work, and I haven't had to worry about the size of the
    cache since Firefox 1.

    Try making a new Firefox profile and see where it goes. Remember that
    some parts of the Firefox profile go into the roaming profile
    (bookmarks, chrome, extensions, etc.), while the cache goes into the
    local settings folder.

    And if you really get stuck, consider creating a Group Policy on your
    domain (or on individual computers) that blocks certain folders from
    roaming. The policy is in User Configuration/Administrative
    Templates/System/User Profiles. But you really shouldn't need to do this.

    I'm not aware of any way to independently redirect the browser cache
    (but I'm no Firefox developer).

    --
    David
    Stardate 8758.5

  3. Re: FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache

    On Oct 3, 6:30*pm, David Trimboli wrote:

    > WalterGR wrote:
    > > However, in FF3 the browser cache is written to my user profile
    > > directory. *To me, this is a regression from FF2.[1] *Is there a way
    > > to set the directory to use for the browser cache?

    > The Firefox 3 cache saves to the local part of the user profile by
    > default. I don't know why you're seeing otherwise.

    I read on some FF knowledge base page (that I can't find now) that in
    FF3 the cache lives in the local part of the user profile _only_ if
    the profile is in the normal place. Presumably because I override
    where my profile lives via profiles.ini, that doesn't hold for my
    configuration.

    After further googling I found an about:config setting for changing
    where the cache lives:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.ca...rent_directory

    So I'm satisfied. Until FF4...

    Walter

  4. Re: FF3, Windows XP and the browser cache

    On Oct 7, 4:32*pm, WalterGR wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 6:30*pm, David Trimboli wrote:
    >
    > > WalterGR wrote:
    > > > However, in FF3 the browser cache is written to my user profile
    > > > directory. *To me, this is a regression from FF2.[1] *Is there a way
    > > > to set the directory to use for the browser cache?

    > > The Firefox 3 cache saves to the local part of the user profile by
    > > default. I don't know why you're seeing otherwise.

    > I read on some FF knowledge base page (that I can't find now) that in
    > FF3 the cache lives in the local part of the user profile _only_ if
    > the profile is in the normal place. *Presumably because I override
    > where my profile lives via profiles.ini, that doesn't hold for my
    > configuration.
    >
    > After further googling I found an about:config setting for changing
    > where the cache lives:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.ca...rent_directory
    >
    > So I'm satisfied. *Until FF4...
    >
    > Walter

    I am seeing this as well, on a profile i copied from another computer
    which didn't have the problem.

    It seems it occurs on fresh installs of Firefox 3, as my other
    computer on which i upgraded from 2 to 3 stores the cache in the local
    settings folder.

+ Reply to Thread