Forwarding with 'munged' email address - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Forwarding with 'munged' email address - Mozilla ; Strange..... If I try to forward a post from a newsgroup using a 'munged' address it won't send, I get an error about using a 'STARTTLS command'. Is this normal policy (to stop spam perhaps)? Cheers Kol...

  1. Forwarding with 'munged' email address

    Strange.....

    If I try to forward a post from a newsgroup using a 'munged' address it
    won't send, I get an error about using a 'STARTTLS command'.

    Is this normal policy (to stop spam perhaps)?

    Cheers

    Kol

  2. Re: Forwarding with 'munged' email address

    On 10/3/2008 10:57 AM, Raskolnikoff wrote:
    > Strange.....
    >
    > If I try to forward a post from a newsgroup using a 'munged' address it
    > won't send, I get an error about using a 'STARTTLS command'.
    >
    > Is this normal policy (to stop spam perhaps)?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Kol

    I'm not sure why you would munge your address in an E-mail message.
    This is quite different from munging an address in a newsgroup message,
    which many of us (including me) do.

    When you forward a post from a newsgroup, you are sending an E-mail
    message to someone whose address you know. In your case, however, you
    don't want the recipient to know your address?

    Yes, most ISPs have their mail servers check to ensure that outgoing
    messages are from individuals who have accounts with them. If they
    don't make such checks, they have what might be called an "open relay",
    which is something that spammers attempt to use. Other ISPs will then
    block messages from ISPs with open relays.

    If you really want to send E-mail anonymously, use an anonymous
    remailer. See, for example, under "Remailers" at
    .

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  3. Re: Forwarding with 'munged' email address

    David E. Ross wrote:

    > I'm not sure why you would munge your address in an E-mail message.
    > This is quite different from munging an address in a newsgroup message,
    > which many of us (including me) do.
    >
    > When you forward a post from a newsgroup, you are sending an E-mail
    > message to someone whose address you know. In your case, however, you
    > don't want the recipient to know your address?
    >
    > Yes, most ISPs have their mail servers check to ensure that outgoing
    > messages are from individuals who have accounts with them. If they
    > don't make such checks, they have what might be called an "open relay",
    > which is something that spammers attempt to use. Other ISPs will then
    > block messages from ISPs with open relays.
    >
    > If you really want to send E-mail anonymously, use an anonymous
    > remailer. See, for example, under "Remailers" at
    > .

    Hi David,

    Thanx for the response.

    I just hit forward the other day and it was the first time I noticed it
    happen. Thanx for explaining what it could be, I thought it may be some
    kind of anti-spam measure.

    Guess that in all my years of using newsgroups I have either never sent
    a forwarded message from a ng or in my innocence I used an 'unmunged'
    address!

    Cheers

    Kol

    btw - it was some crappy jokes I wanted to share with my work colleagues
    )

+ Reply to Thread