external protocol - Mozilla

This is a discussion on external protocol - Mozilla ; hi everybody, I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by imagemap. I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I could ...

  1. external protocol

    hi everybody,

    I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the
    graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by
    imagemap.

    I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I
    could open that dir in konqueror (or mc, or whatever).
    I found out that I could do it by registering a new protocol: the key
    network.protocol-handler.app.konq should have the string value "/usr/
    bin/konqueror".

    Doing this, when clicking on a konq:// I in fact
    obtain: 1) a warning ("An external app must be launched to handle konq
    links..."), 2) an error ("Protocol not supported: konq"), and,
    contradictorily, the konqueror window itself, BUT not opened at the
    correct dir, as if firefox did not pass to it the path as argument.

    Firefox v.2.0.0.16

    Any suggestions?

    alessandro

  2. Re: external protocol

    alexxx.magni@gmail.com on 10/3/2008 11:01 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the
    > graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by
    > imagemap.
    >
    > I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I
    > could open that dir in konqueror (or mc, or whatever).
    > I found out that I could do it by registering a new protocol: the key
    > network.protocol-handler.app.konq should have the string value "/usr/
    > bin/konqueror".
    >
    > Doing this, when clicking on a konq:// I in fact
    > obtain: 1) a warning ("An external app must be launched to handle konq
    > links..."), 2) an error ("Protocol not supported: konq"), and,
    > contradictorily, the konqueror window itself, BUT not opened at the
    > correct dir, as if firefox did not pass to it the path as argument.
    >
    > Firefox v.2.0.0.16
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > alessandro

    Why not use the ability to write a custom CAPS policy to use the existing
    file:// protocol which is supported.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: external protocol

    On Oct 3, 9:29 pm, "Ron K." wrote:
    > alexxx.ma...@gmail.com on 10/3/2008 11:01 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >

    > > hi everybody,

    > > I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the
    > > graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by
    > > imagemap.

    > > I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I
    > > could open that dir in konqueror (or mc, or whatever).
    > > I found out that I could do it by registering a new protocol: the key
    > > network.protocol-handler.app.konq should have the string value "/usr/
    > > bin/konqueror".

    > > Doing this, when clicking on a konq:// I in fact
    > > obtain: 1) a warning ("An external app must be launched to handle konq
    > > links..."), 2) an error ("Protocol not supported: konq"), and,
    > > contradictorily, the konqueror window itself, BUT not opened at the
    > > correct dir, as if firefox did not pass to it the path as argument.

    > > Firefox v.2.0.0.16

    > > Any suggestions?

    > > alessandro

    > Why not use the ability to write a custom CAPS policy to use the existing
    > file:// protocol which is supported.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    > Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

    ooops, I fear not to know what you're talking about ... any intro
    available?

    P.S. my way - if it's possible to make it work - would be immediate,
    no coding to do... you sure it cannot work?

    alessandro

  4. Re: external protocol

    On Oct 3, 9:29 pm, "Ron K." wrote:
    > alexxx.ma...@gmail.com on 10/3/2008 11:01 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >

    > > hi everybody,

    > > I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the
    > > graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by
    > > imagemap.

    > > I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I
    > > could open that dir in konqueror (or mc, or whatever).
    > > I found out that I could do it by registering a new protocol: the key
    > > network.protocol-handler.app.konq should have the string value "/usr/
    > > bin/konqueror".

    > > Doing this, when clicking on a konq:// I in fact
    > > obtain: 1) a warning ("An external app must be launched to handle konq
    > > links..."), 2) an error ("Protocol not supported: konq"), and,
    > > contradictorily, the konqueror window itself, BUT not opened at the
    > > correct dir, as if firefox did not pass to it the path as argument.

    > > Firefox v.2.0.0.16

    > > Any suggestions?

    > > alessandro

    > Why not use the ability to write a custom CAPS policy to use the existing
    > file:// protocol which is supported.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    > Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

    mmmm.... after a brief check, it seems to me that CAPS should use
    allow some kind of security override in the handling of file:// URLs,
    but not really the launching of a predefined external app (e.g.
    konqueror) with that URL as argument...

    alessandro

  5. Re: external protocol

    alexxx.magni@gmail.com on 10/3/2008 6:09 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > On Oct 3, 9:29 pm, "Ron K." wrote:
    >> alexxx.ma...@gmail.com on 10/3/2008 11:01 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >>

    >>> hi everybody,
    >>> I'm writing a program that generates html pages containing the
    >>> graphical structure of a subdirectory, with each node clickable by
    >>> imagemap.
    >>> I wanted to make it so that by clicking on a node ( == directory) I
    >>> could open that dir in konqueror (or mc, or whatever).
    >>> I found out that I could do it by registering a new protocol: the key
    >>> network.protocol-handler.app.konq should have the string value "/usr/
    >>> bin/konqueror".
    >>> Doing this, when clicking on a konq:// I in fact
    >>> obtain: 1) a warning ("An external app must be launched to handle konq
    >>> links..."), 2) an error ("Protocol not supported: konq"), and,
    >>> contradictorily, the konqueror window itself, BUT not opened at the
    >>> correct dir, as if firefox did not pass to it the path as argument.
    >>> Firefox v.2.0.0.16
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>> alessandro

    >> Why not use the ability to write a custom CAPS policy to use the existing
    >> file:// protocol which is supported.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ron K.
    >> Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    >> Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

    > mmmm.... after a brief check, it seems to me that CAPS should use
    > allow some kind of security override in the handling of file:// URLs,
    > but not really the launching of a predefined external app (e.g.
    > konqueror) with that URL as argument...
    >
    > alessandro

    Your asking some questions that are best asked in mozilla.dev.aps.firefox
    While pointing out the CAPS is in the province of User-2-User support, core
    programing issues are not.

    --
    Ron K.