Downloading news headers in Thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Downloading news headers in Thunderbird - Mozilla ; Hello I recently started using Thunderbird for U3 v2.0.0.14. I'm having a bit of trouble downloading newsgroup headers. When I click on a newsgroup I just subscribed to, there are naturally a lot of headers available. For example, let's say ...

  1. Downloading news headers in Thunderbird

    Hello

    I recently started using Thunderbird for U3 v2.0.0.14. I'm having a bit
    of trouble downloading newsgroup headers.

    When I click on a newsgroup I just subscribed to, there are naturally a
    lot of headers available. For example, let's say on newsgroup A there
    are 10,000 message headers - this will appear in parentheses to the
    right of the newsgroup name in the folder panel on the left. When I
    click on this newsgroup, I will get a dialog box asking me if I want to
    download all headers or just 500. If I choose the former option, I will
    NOT get all of the headers but only some of them - and those I got will
    not be the most recent messages (e.g. out of the 10,000 headers in
    newsgroup A it will only download 800, and they may be from a year ago).

    How can I get the program to download all of the headers in a newsgroup?
    And if I already chose to "download 500", is there a way to download the
    rest?

    Thx

  2. Re: Downloading news headers in Thunderbird

    Eyal Fleminger on 10/3/2008 10:38 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Hello
    >
    > I recently started using Thunderbird for U3 v2.0.0.14. I'm having a bit
    > of trouble downloading newsgroup headers.
    >
    > When I click on a newsgroup I just subscribed to, there are naturally a
    > lot of headers available. For example, let's say on newsgroup A there
    > are 10,000 message headers - this will appear in parentheses to the
    > right of the newsgroup name in the folder panel on the left. When I
    > click on this newsgroup, I will get a dialog box asking me if I want to
    > download all headers or just 500. If I choose the former option, I will
    > NOT get all of the headers but only some of them - and those I got will
    > not be the most recent messages (e.g. out of the 10,000 headers in
    > newsgroup A it will only download 800, and they may be from a year ago).
    >
    > How can I get the program to download all of the headers in a newsgroup?
    > And if I already chose to "download 500", is there a way to download the
    > rest?
    >
    > Thx

    One factor of news is the server begins it's header count index from 1 and
    the newest is #Hx. Servers will have a retention policy that results in
    what is actually present is less than the highest number.

    For Your first question it seems odd, but with out knowing who the ISP
    owner of the server is only some guesses can be made.

    To the second issue, Yes, you can fetch additional headers in blocks of 500
    if your nusing the default block size. The feature is in the File Menu "Get
    Next xxx News Messages". In fact this feature may help resolve the first issue.

    --
    Ron K.