How do the Mail-List work?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How do the Mail-List work?? - Mozilla ; I subscribe to various Mozilla newsgroups on the news.mozilla.org server. I understand, if I wanted to or was at another computer that didn't have a n.m.o news account set-up, I could read the messages posted to these groups using Google-Groups. ...

  1. How do the Mail-List work??

    I subscribe to various Mozilla newsgroups on the news.mozilla.org server.

    I understand, if I wanted to or was at another computer that didn't have
    a n.m.o news account set-up, I could read the messages posted to these
    groups using Google-Groups.

    What I don't know about is the mail-lists which are another way of
    reading the stuff posted to n.m.o. Wikipedia doesn't give much of an
    explanation. Would I be right in thinking that, for each and every
    message posted to the groups on n.m.o., if I were subscribed to the
    equivalent mail-list, I would receive an e-mail, or is it a case of,
    when I come on-line I, effectively, send out a message to the list and I
    then receive an e-mail containing all the posts since I last logged in?
    Or do I just get all the subjects and can select those messages that I
    want to receive?? Or......??

    Can someone please explain how mail-lists work and what their advantage
    might be to me if I am on dial-up (i.e. not on-line 24/7) and have a
    daily mail limit (above which it costs me more)??

    Thanks.

    Daniel

  2. Re: How do the Mail-List work??

    In ,
    Daniel wrote:

    > What I don't know about is the mail-lists which are another way of
    > reading the stuff posted to n.m.o. Wikipedia doesn't give much of an
    > explanation. Would I be right in thinking that, for each and every
    > message posted to the groups on n.m.o., if I were subscribed to the
    > equivalent mail-list, I would receive an e-mail, or is it a case of,
    > when I come on-line I, effectively, send out a message to the list
    > and I then receive an e-mail containing all the posts since I last
    > logged in? Or do I just get all the subjects and can select those
    > messages that I want to receive?? Or......??

    You can either receive each post as a separate e-mail or each day's
    posts in a single e-mail. You don't get to select which posts you want
    mailed to you -- you get them all.

    Kleeneness is next to Gdelness.

  3. Re: How do the Mail-List work??

    Q wrote:
    > In ,
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> What I don't know about is the mail-lists which are another way of
    >> reading the stuff posted to n.m.o. Wikipedia doesn't give much of an
    >> explanation. Would I be right in thinking that, for each and every
    >> message posted to the groups on n.m.o., if I were subscribed to the
    >> equivalent mail-list, I would receive an e-mail, or is it a case of,
    >> when I come on-line I, effectively, send out a message to the list
    >> and I then receive an e-mail containing all the posts since I last
    >> logged in? Or do I just get all the subjects and can select those
    >> messages that I want to receive?? Or......??

    > You can either receive each post as a separate e-mail or each day's
    > posts in a single e-mail. You don't get to select which posts you want
    > mailed to you -- you get them all.

    Thanks for that, Q.

    One would then have to ask what is the advantage of mail-lists then,
    when I could (and have) subscribed to news groups and downloaded all the
    messages for off-line reading, rather than having them all sent to me
    via mail??

    Which prompts me to ask, if I were still downloading things for off-line
    reading, before initiating the download, could I read the headers, then
    decide which threads I was interested in, mark the un-interested thread
    as read, then just download the "interesting sounding" threads??

    Daniel

  4. Re: How do the Mail-List work??

    Daniel wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    >> In ,
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>
    >>> What I don't know about is the mail-lists which are another way of
    >>> reading the stuff posted to n.m.o. Wikipedia doesn't give much of an
    >>> explanation. Would I be right in thinking that, for each and every
    >>> message posted to the groups on n.m.o., if I were subscribed to the
    >>> equivalent mail-list, I would receive an e-mail, or is it a case of,
    >>> when I come on-line I, effectively, send out a message to the list
    >>> and I then receive an e-mail containing all the posts since I last
    >>> logged in? Or do I just get all the subjects and can select those
    >>> messages that I want to receive?? Or......??

    >> You can either receive each post as a separate e-mail or each day's
    >> posts in a single e-mail. You don't get to select which posts you want
    >> mailed to you -- you get them all.
    >>

    > Thanks for that, Q.
    >
    > One would then have to ask what is the advantage of mail-lists then,
    > when I could (and have) subscribed to news groups and downloaded all the
    > messages for off-line reading, rather than having them all sent to me
    > via mail??
    >
    > Which prompts me to ask, if I were still downloading things for off-line
    > reading, before initiating the download, could I read the headers, then
    > decide which threads I was interested in, mark the un-interested thread
    > as read, then just download the "interesting sounding" threads??
    >
    > Daniel

    and, of course, in the second para, where I have "could I read the
    headers", I meant "could I read the message subjects"!!

    Daniel

  5. Re: How do the Mail-List work??

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:38:49 +1000
    Daniel wrote:

    > »Q« wrote:
    > > In ,
    > > Daniel wrote:
    > >
    > >> What I don't know about is the mail-lists which are another way of
    > >> reading the stuff posted to n.m.o. Wikipedia doesn't give much of
    > >> an explanation. Would I be right in thinking that, for each and
    > >> every message posted to the groups on n.m.o., if I were subscribed
    > >> to the equivalent mail-list, I would receive an e-mail, or is it a
    > >> case of, when I come on-line I, effectively, send out a message to
    > >> the list and I then receive an e-mail containing all the posts
    > >> since I last logged in? Or do I just get all the subjects and can
    > >> select those messages that I want to receive?? Or......??

    > > You can either receive each post as a separate e-mail or each day's
    > > posts in a single e-mail. You don't get to select which posts you
    > > want mailed to you -- you get them all.

    > Thanks for that, Q.
    >
    > One would then have to ask what is the advantage of mail-lists then,
    > when I could (and have) subscribed to news groups and downloaded all
    > the messages for off-line reading, rather than having them all sent
    > to me via mail??
    >
    > Which prompts me to ask, if I were still downloading things for
    > off-line reading, before initiating the download, could I read the
    > headers, then decide which threads I was interested in, mark the
    > un-interested thread as read, then just download the "interesting
    > sounding" threads??

    It's e-mail. You can do anything with the list e-mails you could do
    with any other e-mails.

+ Reply to Thread