Search Engine Bar won't complete search. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Search Engine Bar won't complete search. - Mozilla ; Silly question, but annoying "feature"/promblem. Using the search engine bar in 3.03 (and the previous ones for a few weeks now) - it doesn't matter which search engine.. if i type anything in the bar and hit [return/enter] the search ...

  1. Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    Silly question, but annoying "feature"/promblem.
    Using the search engine bar in 3.03 (and the previous ones for a few weeks
    now) - it doesn't matter which search engine.. if i type anything in the bar
    and hit [return/enter] the search results do not fill in the current
    window... or anywhere else for that matter.. any ideas? switches? etc

    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    "Sad User" wrote in message news:OvqdnXhElInjfn7VnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Silly question, but annoying "feature"/promblem.
    > Using the search engine bar in 3.03 (and the previous ones for a few weeks
    > now) - it doesn't matter which search engine.. if i type anything in the bar
    > and hit [return/enter] the search results do not fill in the current
    > window... or anywhere else for that matter.. any ideas? switches? etc
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    Hi "Sad User",
    I think you are saying that absolutely nothing happens if you use
    any of the search engines in the search bar. If that is not true
    than what does it generate into the location bar.

    Are you using the search bar that came with Firefox, or did you
    install an extension that installed a search toolbar -- my guess is
    that you installed some software that installed something like
    the Ask Toolbar, the Yahoo Toolbar, or the Google Toolbar.
    See if you have a strange toolbar in your View menu, Toolbars.
    Also check your View, Toolbars, Customize.

    Zone Alarm, is installing one of the search bars. You must
    opt out of the toolbar when installing, such things are difficult
    to remove afterwards, but first you have to find out what toolbar
    was installed. (If that is the problem)

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    On 3 Okt., 01:34, "David McRitchie" wrote:

    Sorry, that I have no solution to this problem, but nearly the same
    problem.

    When I type anything into the search bar and hit enter, an empty
    google page opens. What I have detected so far is that there is an
    error in the log, like this:

    <<
    Fehler: invalid XML attribute value
    Quelldatei: http://www.google.de/search?q=test&i...ient=firefox-a
    Zeile: 22, Spalte: 14
    Quelltext:

    ----------------------^

    The funny thing is, as I didn't know, what to do, I installed FF 3.0.3
    on my wife's computer, just to see if it works. And it does with
    exactly the same address comming up in the location:
    http://www.google.de/search?q=test&i...ient=firefox-a
    and the results page filled wiht some million results, or so.

    By the way, entering the address in the location bar does the same, as
    well as entering the search in there. But when I enter the address
    that is done by Internet Explorer, when I enter text in it's search
    bar (http://www.google.com/search?q=test&...crosoft:de:IE-
    SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG) works again in
    FF.

    Shall I say, that I have uninstalled every Firefox from the system,
    removed anything from the registry and from %APPDATA%, deactivated all
    AddOns, ...

    If anyone knows anything, I would like to here from you ... :-)

    Martin

  4. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    Sadly,
    I don't even get a new window... just sits there.
    No Zone Alarm, no additional tools...

  5. > ----------------------^

    > The funny thing is, as I didn't know, what to do, I installed FF 3.0.3
    > on my wife's computer, just to see if it works. And it does with
    > exactly the same address comming up in the location:
    > http://www.google.de/search?q=test&i...ient=firefox-a
    > and the results page filled wiht some million results, or so.
    >
    > By the way, entering the address in the location bar does the same, as
    > well as entering the search in there. But when I enter the address
    > that is done by Internet Explorer, when I enter text in it's search
    > bar (http://www.google.com/search?q=test&...crosoft:de:IE-
    > SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG) works again in
    > FF.
    >
    > Shall I say, that I have uninstalled every Firefox from the system,
    > removed anything from the registry and from %APPDATA%, deactivated all
    > AddOns, ...
    >
    > If anyone knows anything, I would like to here from you ... :-)
    >
    > Martin

  6. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

  7. > > ----------------------^

    > > The funny thing is, as I didn't know, what to do, I installed FF 3.0.3
    > > on my wife's computer, just to see if it works. And it does with
    > > exactly the same address comming up in the location:
    > >http://www.google.de/search?q=test&i...=t&rls=org.moz...
    > > and the results page filled wiht some million results, or so.

    > > By the way, entering the address in the location bar does the same, as
    > > well as entering the search in there. But when I enter the address
    > > that is done by Internet Explorer, when I enter text in it's search
    > > bar (http://www.google.com/search?q=test&...crosoft:de:IE-
    > > SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG) works again in
    > > FF.

    > > Shall I say, that I have uninstalled every Firefox from the system,
    > > removed anything from the registry and from %APPDATA%, deactivated all
    > > AddOns, ...

    > > If anyone knows anything, I would like to here from you ... :-)

    > > Martin

    In about:config, what do you have for the preference
    keyword.URL

    Mine has http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ient&gfns=1&q=
    which is what precedes my search term when I type something random in
    the URL.

    You can right click on that preference and choose RESET to reset it to
    the above value if it's something else.

    Have you tried safe mode, or creating another profile to see if the
    behaviour persists?

    JB

  8. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

  9. > > > ----------------------^

    > > > The funny thing is, as I didn't know, what to do, I installed FF 3.0.3
    > > > on my wife's computer, just to see if it works. And it does with
    > > > exactly the same address comming up in the location:
    > > >http://www.google.de/search?q=test&i...=t&rls=org.moz...
    > > > and the results page filled wiht some million results, or so.

    > > > By the way, entering the address in the locationbardoes the same, as
    > > > well as entering thesearchin there. But when I enter the address
    > > > that is done by Internet Explorer, when I enter text in it'ssearch
    > > >bar(http://www.google.com/search?q=test&...crosoft:de:IE-
    > > > SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG) works again in
    > > > FF.

    > > > Shall I say, that I have uninstalled every Firefox from the system,
    > > > removed anything from the registry and from %APPDATA%, deactivated all
    > > > AddOns, ...

    > > > If anyone knows anything, I would like to here from you ... :-)

    > > > Martin

    > In about:config, what do you have for the preference
    > keyword.URL
    >
    > Mine hashttp://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfn...
    > which is what precedes mysearchterm when I type something random in
    > the URL.
    >
    > You can right click on that preference and choose RESET to reset it to
    > the above value if it's something else.
    >
    > Have you tried safe mode, or creating another profile to see if the
    > behaviour persists?
    >
    > JB

    Doesn't help.

    I changed the URL to yours - mine was
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ient&gfns=1&q=
    - but the result is the same.
    Neither safe mode nor another profile helps.

    What I don't understand is that I thought I had deleted everything of
    firefox from the PC, %APPDATA%, programfiles and registry but it still
    behaves the same,
    hm, when I think of it, there's still things from thunderbird...

    thanks for help so far,

    Martin

  10. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

  11. > > > > ----------------------^

    > > In about:config, what do you have for the preference
    > > keyword.URL

    > > Mine hashttp://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfn...
    > > which is what precedes mysearchterm when I type something random in
    > > the URL.

    > > You can right click on that preference and choose RESET to reset it to
    > > the above value if it's something else.

    > > Have you tried safe mode, or creating another profile to see if the
    > > behaviour persists?

    > > JB

    > Doesn't help.
    >
    > I changed the URL to yours - mine washttp://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfn...
    > - but the result is the same.
    > Neither safe mode nor another profile helps.
    >
    > What I don't understand is that I thought I had deleted everything of
    > firefox from the PC, %APPDATA%, programfiles and registry but it still
    > behaves the same,
    > hm, when I think of it, there's still things from thunderbird...
    >
    > thanks for help so far,
    >
    > Martin

    .... and now, der kleine is besaupen ...
    I really don't understand anything now. I have changed the search
    engine and everything works as expected. It works with Yahoo, Amazon,
    ebay, leo and wiki but not with google...

    Another thing is, the URL that is inserted into the location bar seems
    not have to do anything with keyword.URL?
    Now I set mine to empty string, but when I search for "test23", I
    still get the location "http://www.google.de/search?
    q=test23&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:defficial&client=firefox-
    a".

    And the URL for Yahoo is sometheing I can't find in about:config resp.
    prefs.js (http://de.search.yahoo.com/search?p=...=UTF-8&fr=moz2)

    So, what does firefox really do, when you enter a string into the
    search box???

    Martin

  12. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

  13. >> > > ----------------------^

    >> In about:config, what do you have for the preference
    >> keyword.URL
    >>
    >> Mine hashttp://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfn...
    >> which is what precedes mysearchterm when I type something random in
    >> the URL.
    >>
    >> You can right click on that preference and choose RESET to reset it to
    >> the above value if it's something else.
    >>
    >> Have you tried safe mode, or creating another profile to see if the
    >> behaviour persists?
    >>
    >> JB

    > Doesn't help.
    >
    > I changed the URL to yours - mine was
    > http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ient&gfns=1&q=
    > - but the result is the same.
    > Neither safe mode nor another profile helps.
    >
    > What I don't understand is that I thought I had deleted everything of
    > firefox from the PC, %APPDATA%, programfiles and registry but it still
    > behaves the same,
    > hm, when I think of it, there's still things from thunderbird...

    Martin,
    You user profile is not stored where the Firefox application program files are.
    My profile is at
    C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.

    Suggest you install "Open Profile Folder" extension, should become more clear
    why reinstalling Firefox seldom changes anything. If you go up one level, you will
    see your other profile as well.

    Unfortunately for both of you I was giving out instructions for the location bar
    not from the search bar, the following explains from location bar
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef....htm#nodefault

    Martin and Sad User,

    Try this first, to see what happens,
    enter your search into the search bar
    then use Alt+Enter that should put the sort results
    into another tab, similar to using same from the location bar.

    To repair search bar sorting, try this go to
    http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
    and install the Google engine that you want from the list, it will
    probably install at the bottom try that one and see if it works.

    Another way of adding a search engine would be with the
    "Add to Searchbar" extension
    I've added a number (quite a few) with it, and I think even once
    replaced one, but that was a long time ago.

  14. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    "Martin"
    > I really don't understand anything now. I have changed the search
    > engine and everything works as expected. It works with Yahoo, Amazon,
    > ebay, leo and wiki but not with google...

    Sorry for adding to confusion, see my last reply that I had not finished
    before you sent yours.

    This might be the actual problem, though

    Unable to search or add new engines - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...dd_new_engines

  15. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

  16. > >> > > ----------------------^

    > >> In about:config, what do you have for the preference
    > >> keyword.URL

    > >> Mine hashttp://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfn...
    > >> which is what precedes mysearchterm when I type something random in
    > >> the URL.

    > >> You can right click on that preference and choose RESET to reset it to
    > >> the above value if it's something else.

    > >> Have you tried safe mode, or creating another profile to see if the
    > >> behaviour persists?

    > >> JB

    > > Doesn't help.

    > > I changed the URL to yours - mine was
    > >http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...=navclient&gfn...
    > > - but the result is the same.
    > > Neither safe mode nor another profile helps.

    > > What I don't understand is that I thought I had deleted everything of
    > > firefox from the PC, %APPDATA%, programfiles and registry but it still
    > > behaves the same,
    > > hm, when I think of it, there's still things from thunderbird...

    > Martin,
    > You user *profile is not stored where the Firefox application program files are.
    > My profile *is at
    > * C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.
    >
    > Suggest you install *"Open Profile Folder" *extension, *should become more clear
    > why reinstalling Firefox seldom changes anything. If you go up one level,you will
    > see your other profile as well.
    >
    > Unfortunately for both of you I was giving out instructions for the locationbar
    > not from thesearchbar, *the following explains from locationbarhttp://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm#nodefault
    >
    > Martin and Sad User,
    >
    > Try *this first, *to see what happens,
    > enter yoursearch*into thesearchbar
    > then *use *Alt+Enter * *that *should put the sort results
    > into another tab, similar to using same from the locationbar.
    >
    > To repairsearchbarsorting, try this go to
    > * *http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
    > and *install the Google engine that you want from the list, *it will
    > probably install at the bottom *try that one and see if it works.
    >
    > Another way of *adding asearchengine would be with the
    > "Add to *Searchbar" *extension
    > *https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682
    > I've added a number (quite a few) *with it, and I think even once
    > replaced one, but that was a long time ago.

    Well, that helps - in a way.

    I installed a google US search engine, which works, but any of the
    Germans don't.
    There IS an error in the log

    Error: invalid XML attribute value
    Sourcefile: http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=test23
    Line: 22, Column: 14
    Sourcetext:

    ----------------------^

    when I use a German search engine. I would like to understand, what it
    says. And where are the XML files of the installed search engines? Ah,
    ok, I've found them in the profiles' searchplugins folder. I think I
    will try to fix it manually for German search engines this evening,
    when I'm home again...

    Thanks for now,

    Martin

  17. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    "Martin"
    > when I use a German search engine. I would like to understand, what it
    > says. And where are the XML files of the installed search engines? Ah,
    > ok, I've found them [XML files] in the profiles' searchplugins folder. I think I
    > will try to fix it manually for German search engines this evening,
    > when I'm home again...

    Do you have AVG Anti-Virus installed, it's fairly new "Link Scanner"
    component creates a lot of problems mainly with Firefox. If you do
    for directions to uninstall the component see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    That addresses the first item in this article
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...dd_new_engines
    and further down see rename or delete search.sqlite file (when Firefox is down)
    Firefox will simply recreate the missing file and you lose nothing.

    I recommend the "Add to Searchbar" extension
    which you would modify the above link and install using
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3682
    and then you can
    go to http://www.google.de click on the type of search below
    the form then right-click in the search form,
    choose "Add to search bar" and you have your engine.

    --
    HTH,

  18. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    On 9 Okt., 16:56, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Martin"
    >
    > > when I use a Germansearchengine. I would like to understand, what it
    > > says. And where are the XML files of the installedsearchengines? Ah,
    > > ok, I've found them [XML files] in the profiles' searchplugins folder. I think I
    > > will try to fix it manually for Germansearchengines this evening,
    > > when I'm home again...

    > Do you have *AVG Anti-Virus installed, *it's fairly new "Link *Scanner"
    > component creates a lot of *problems mainly with Firefox. * If you do
    > for directions to uninstall the component see
    > * * *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >
    > That addresses the first item in this article
    > *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...dd_new_engines
    > and *further down see rename *or delete *search.sqlite * file *(when Firefox is down)
    > Firefox will simply recreate the missing file and you lose nothing.
    >
    > I recommend the *"Add to Searchbar" *extension
    > * *https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682
    > which you would modify the above link and install using
    > * *https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3682
    > and then you can
    > go to *http://www.google.de* * click on the type ofsearchbelow
    > the form then *right-click in thesearch*form,
    > choose "Add tosearchbar" * and you have your engine.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    "David"

    thanks for your help, esp. the tip with the "Add to Searchbar"
    extension, I really should have listened to that, earlier ;-) With it
    I could install a German Google search engine, which works.

    I really don't know, how or when it came to that behaviour of Firefox.
    As far as I remember it was some months ago with FF 2.x, then some
    days ago I upgraded to FF 3.0.3 - because I thought I could update the
    misbehaviour (now I know better). And I know now, how to fix that,
    thanks again to you.

    When I now compare (see below) the two (german) search engines, the
    one from your tip with "Add to Searchbar" extension (let's call it
    "engine extension") and the other one from your yesterdays tip (I call
    it "engine mycroft" - it's in fackt more than one, it's all the
    german's search engines that don't work), I can see that they are
    nearly equal.

    "engine extension" reads: (I have deleted everything, which is not
    needed)

    and "engine mycroft":

    which looks pretty much the same to me, but, "engine extension" works
    fine and inserts the querystring "http://www.google.com/search?
    hl=de&q=test&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=&sourceid=Mozilla-search" into the
    location bar
    and "engine mycroft" doesn't work, it inserts "http://www.google.de/
    search?hl=de&q=test" into the location bar and two messages into the
    error log:

    Fehler: invalid XML attribute value
    Quelldatei: http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=test
    Zeile: 22, Spalte: 14
    Quelltext:

  19. ----------------------^

    Fehler: hp.isHomePage is not a function
    Quelldatei: http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=test
    Zeile: 55

    Ups, that became a long answer, just for saying thanks,

    Martin

  20. Re: Search Engine Bar won't complete search.

    "Martin"
    > Ups, that became a long answer, just for saying thanks,

    That's good, I like long informative feedback/answers. I hope that the
    Original Poster got his answers as well.