FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail - Mozilla ; I use gmail. With Firefox, going back several versions well back into the 2's, if I receive a gmail message with an attached pdf, clicking on the pdf (except "view as html") will force a save to my computer. I ...

  1. FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    I use gmail.

    With Firefox, going back several versions well back into the 2's, if I
    receive a gmail message with an attached pdf, clicking on the pdf
    (except "view as html") will force a save to my computer. I don't get
    an option to open it in the browser.

    My gmail will open all other file types - Word documents, photos,
    etc., in the browser (or of course give me the option to save).

    Firefox will open pdfs from all other sites in the browser by
    default. My tools > options > applications settings appear correct,
    with none of the many types set up to "save file" without asking.

    In internet explorer 7, gmail pdf attachments give me a choice to open
    or save, then they open in acrobat reader outside the browser.

    So how do I configure FF to do the same thing (that is, not force me
    to save the file)?

  2. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    usenetdg@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I use gmail.
    >
    > With Firefox, going back several versions well back into the 2's, if I
    > receive a gmail message with an attached pdf, clicking on the pdf
    > (except "view as html") will force a save to my computer. I don't get
    > an option to open it in the browser.
    >
    > My gmail will open all other file types - Word documents, photos,
    > etc., in the browser (or of course give me the option to save).
    >
    > Firefox will open pdfs from all other sites in the browser by
    > default. My tools > options > applications settings appear correct,
    > with none of the many types set up to "save file" without asking.
    >
    > In internet explorer 7, gmail pdf attachments give me a choice to open
    > or save, then they open in acrobat reader outside the browser.
    >
    > So how do I configure FF to do the same thing (that is, not force me
    > to save the file)?

    I have a problem very much like this with ScrapBook and Firefox which
    also started some versions back.

    When I try to save a RTF format file to my scrapbook I only get the
    alternative of saving to disk (well actually ScrapBook tries to save but
    hangs and when I cancel I get the save option).

    I thought this was a ScrapBook problem but it sounds like it might be a
    Firefox one.

  3. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    On 10/12/2008 10:29 AM, Andrew Giles-Peters wrote:
    > usenetdg@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I use gmail.
    >>
    >> With Firefox, going back several versions well back into the 2's, if I
    >> receive a gmail message with an attached pdf, clicking on the pdf
    >> (except "view as html") will force a save to my computer. I don't get
    >> an option to open it in the browser.
    >>
    >> My gmail will open all other file types - Word documents, photos,
    >> etc., in the browser (or of course give me the option to save).
    >>
    >> Firefox will open pdfs from all other sites in the browser by
    >> default. My tools > options > applications settings appear correct,
    >> with none of the many types set up to "save file" without asking.
    >>
    >> In internet explorer 7, gmail pdf attachments give me a choice to open
    >> or save, then they open in acrobat reader outside the browser.
    >>
    >> So how do I configure FF to do the same thing (that is, not force me
    >> to save the file)?

    > I have a problem very much like this with ScrapBook and Firefox which
    > also started some versions back.
    >
    > When I try to save a RTF format file to my scrapbook I only get the
    > alternative of saving to disk (well actually ScrapBook tries to save but
    > hangs and when I cancel I get the save option).
    >
    > I thought this was a ScrapBook problem but it sounds like it might be a
    > Firefox one.

    To the OP in this thread, try the PDF Download extension from
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/ It will give you options for saving the
    PDF, opening in your PDF reader outside or inside Firefox, as well as
    some options for saving web pages as PDF or converting PDF to html.

    Dave Pyles

  4. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    On Oct 12, 11:53*am, David Pyles wrote:

    > To the OP in this thread, try the PDF Download extension fromhttp://www.pdfdownload.org/*It will give you options for saving the
    > PDF, opening in your PDF reader outside or inside Firefox, as well as
    > some options for saving web pages as PDF or converting PDF to html.
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    Thanks. The download did not help me though.

    The issue is that attached pdfs in webmail (gmail, yahoo, hotmail) are
    force-saved from FF (currently still 3.0.3) instead of giving an
    option to just read the document or open it in the browser.

    IE 7 gives this choice for attached pdfs in webmail.

    FF gives a choice when opening other types of attachments (.doc, .xls,
    for example) from webmail. Just not pdfs.

  5. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    usenetdg@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 11:53 am, David Pyles wrote:
    >> To the OP in this thread, try the PDF Download extension fromhttp://www.pdfdownload.org/ It will give you options for saving the
    >> PDF, opening in your PDF reader outside or inside Firefox, as well as
    >> some options for saving web pages as PDF or converting PDF to html.
    >>
    >> Dave Pyles

    > Thanks. The download did not help me though.
    >
    > The issue is that attached pdfs in webmail (gmail, yahoo, hotmail) are
    > force-saved from FF (currently still 3.0.3) instead of giving an
    > option to just read the document or open it in the browser.
    >
    > IE 7 gives this choice for attached pdfs in webmail.
    >
    > FF gives a choice when opening other types of attachments (.doc, .xls,
    > for example) from webmail. Just not pdfs.

    Can you read PDFs from other websites without saving them? If you are
    getting the same behaviour from all websites, the check
    Tools>Options>Applications to see what your current settings are for
    handling PDFs. If it is set to "Save file" you should be able to change
    to your PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit or whatever you are using)
    HTH
    Dave

  6. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    On Oct 13, 4:55*pm, Traveller wrote:
    > Can you read PDFs from other websites without saving them? If you are
    > getting the same behaviour from all websites, the check
    > Tools>Options>Applications to see what your current settings are for
    > handling PDFs. If it is set to "Save file" you should be able to change
    > to your PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit or whatever you are using)
    > * * * * HTH
    > * * * * * * * * Dave- Hide quoted text -

    I can and do, automatically, read pdf content right in my browser. No
    problems.

    In tools>options>applications there are five "flavors" of Adobe
    Acrobat documents.

    For Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (text/html), the setting is "always
    ask"

    For the other four, the setting is "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)."
    These other four are:

    * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.adobe.xfdf)
    * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.fdf)

    I don't know if it means anything, but I have Adobe Reader 9 on my
    computer, not 7.0 as three of the above five indicate.

  7. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    On 10/13/2008 6:54 PM, usenetdg@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 4:55 pm, Traveller wrote:
    >> Can you read PDFs from other websites without saving them? If you are
    >> getting the same behaviour from all websites, the check
    >> Tools>Options>Applications to see what your current settings are for
    >> handling PDFs. If it is set to "Save file" you should be able to change
    >> to your PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit or whatever you are using)
    >> HTH
    >> Dave- Hide quoted text -
    >>

    > I can and do, automatically, read pdf content right in my browser. No
    > problems.
    >
    > In tools>options>applications there are five "flavors" of Adobe
    > Acrobat documents.
    >
    > For Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (text/html), the setting is "always
    > ask"
    >
    > For the other four, the setting is "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)."
    > These other four are:
    >
    > * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    > * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    > * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.adobe.xfdf)
    > * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.fdf)
    >
    > I don't know if it means anything, but I have Adobe Reader 9 on my
    > computer, not 7.0 as three of the above five indicate.

    Try this. Open Adobe Reader. Under the help menu click "Repair Adobe
    Reader installation." I had a problem with Adobe Reader 8 not working
    correctly with Firefox and that solved the problem for me.
    Dave Pyles

  8. Re: FF 3.0.3 (and earlier) forces saving pdfs in gmail

    On Oct 13, 7:16*pm, David Pyles wrote:
    > On 10/13/2008 6:54 PM, usene...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 13, 4:55 pm, Traveller wrote:
    > >> Can you read PDFs from other websites without saving them? If you are
    > >> getting the same behaviour from all websites, the check
    > >> Tools>Options>Applications to see what your current settings are for
    > >> handling PDFs. If it is set to "Save file" you should be able to change
    > >> to your PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit or whatever you are using)
    > >> * * * * HTH
    > >> * * * * * * * * Dave- Hide quoted text -

    > > I can and do, automatically, read pdf content right in my browser. *No
    > > problems.

    > > In tools>options>applications there are five "flavors" of Adobe
    > > Acrobat documents.

    > > For Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (text/html), the setting is "always
    > > ask"

    > > For the other four, the setting is "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)."
    > > These other four are:

    > > * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    > > * Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf)
    > > * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.adobe.xfdf)
    > > * Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (application/vnd.fdf)

    > > I don't know if it means anything, but I have Adobe Reader 9 on my
    > > computer, not 7.0 as three of the above five indicate.

    > Try this. *Open Adobe Reader. *Under the help menu click "Repair Adobe
    > Reader installation." *I had a problem with Adobe Reader 8 not working
    > correctly with Firefox and that solved the problem for me.
    > Dave Pyles- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Dave.

    Your suggestion did not seem to work. I did the "repair
    installation" (again, I'm using 9) and then the repair forced me to
    restart my computer.

    Upon the restart, I still had the problem with attached pdfs not
    opening in gmail.

    So then I figured I'd jigger with the tools>options>applications.

    I picked the Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document (application/pdf) choice and
    from the pulldown menu, I changed "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)" to
    "Use Adobe Reader 9.0 (default)." That fixed the problem of gmail
    forcing me to save pdf attachments!

    BUT... it also made it so that pdfs linked to from other web pages
    would open in Acrobat Reader, rather than in the browser. So then I
    changed it back (that is, I changed "Use Adobe Reader 9.0 (default)"
    back to "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)"

    For some wacky reason, now it works! FF/gmail asks me how to handle
    pdf attachments (save to disk or open with Adobe 9), but FF just opens
    pdf web content in the browser.

    Very weird.

    Thanks for the help. And I'm going to bet that, even for me, this
    isn't 100% over yet, even though it appears to be now.

+ Reply to Thread