View/edit HTML? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on View/edit HTML? - Mozilla ; Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how. Is there a ...

  1. View/edit HTML?

    Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if I
    could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how. Is
    there a way?
    --
    Mike RJS

  2. Re: View/edit HTML?

    mike elliott wrote:
    > Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    > HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if
    > I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how.
    > Is there a way?

    On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've used
    this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I seem to
    recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.

    I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone know
    if this is possible?

  3. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 2:20 PM John Chambers wrote:

    > mike elliott wrote:
    >> Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    >> HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes
    >> if I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing
    >> how. Is there a way?

    > On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    > do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've used
    > this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I seem to
    > recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >
    > I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    > away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone know
    > if this is possible?

    I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    message. (WinXP)

    --
    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
    Bend, Oregon

  4. Re: View/edit HTML?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 1:20 PM, and on a whim, mike elliott
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    > HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if I
    > could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how. Is
    > there a way?

    Hi Mike,

    Try the Edit HTML extension:
    https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/index-en.html

    I've used it for a long time.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 4:20 PM, mike elliott wrote:
    > Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    > HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if
    > I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how.
    > Is there a way?

    Edit->Select all Then insert-> html will show the source in an editable window.

    Possibly a better method for some circumstances is to "select" the html element that you want to edit.
    (by select, I mean just as you would select regular text... left mouse, then drag.
    Then only that portion of the html is visible in the insert html window.

    There's also the Edithtml extension here:https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/index-en.htm
    But he seems to have an expred cert at the moment.

    --
    Joe

  6. Re: View/edit HTML?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > On 9/30/2008 2:20 PM John Chambers wrote:
    >
    >> mike elliott wrote:
    >>> Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    >>> HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes
    >>> if I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing
    >>> how. Is there a way?

    >> On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    >> do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've used
    >> this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I seem to
    >> recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >>
    >> I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    >> away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone
    >> know if this is possible?

    > I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    > not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    > message. (WinXP)

    In order to view the source of an HTML Mail item being composed, use:
    Insert/HTML
    which will show only what you will be entering to the source at the
    point that you're sitting at.

    In order to view all of the BODY's source, you will have to first do:
    Edit/Select All or Ctrl+a

    The window is rather small, so you may wish to pull the right and bottom
    to make it workable. It is now ready for editing.

    --
    Gus

  7. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 2:42 PM Gus Richter wrote:

    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

    >>> On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    >>> do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've
    >>> used this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I
    >>> seem to recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >>>
    >>> I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    >>> away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone
    >>> know if this is possible?

    >> I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    >> not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    >> message. (WinXP)

    > In order to view the source of an HTML Mail item being composed, use:
    > Insert/HTML
    > which will show only what you will be entering to the source at the
    > point that you're sitting at.
    >
    > In order to view all of the BODY's source, you will have to first do:
    > Edit/Select All or Ctrl+a
    >
    > The window is rather small, so you may wish to pull the right and bottom
    > to make it workable. It is now ready for editing.

    Perfect. Who'd have known it worked like that? Many thanks.

    --
    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
    Bend, Oregon

  8. Re: View/edit HTML?

    Terry R. wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Try the Edit HTML extension:
    > https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/index-en.html
    >
    > I've used it for a long time.

    Hey, thanks for the link! I could use something like that.

  9. Re: View/edit HTML?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 3:46 PM, and on a whim, John Chambers
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >> Try the Edit HTML extension:
    >> https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/index-en.html
    >>
    >> I've used it for a long time.

    > Hey, thanks for the link! I could use something like that.

    You're welcome John! IMO it's much better than using Insert HTML.

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 2:28 PM, Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > On 9/30/2008 2:20 PM John Chambers wrote:
    >
    >> mike elliott wrote:
    >>> Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    >>> HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes
    >>> if I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing
    >>> how. Is there a way?

    >> On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    >> do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've used
    >> this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I seem to
    >> recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >>
    >> I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    >> away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone
    >> know if this is possible?

    > I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    > not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    > message. (WinXP)

    When composing messages in Plain Text or HTML you can use Tools>>Edit
    ...in External Editor to select an editor of your choice (e.g. Notepad).
    After editing, hit save & exit to go back to Compose. Th editor to
    use is be used is specified in the:
    exteditor.default.editor preference using the config editor. In the
    String entry specify - inside quotes - the full path to the exe file of
    the desired editor.

    --
    Irwin

  11. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 5:25 PM Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 9/30/2008 2:28 PM, Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

    >>> On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    >>> do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've
    >>> used this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I
    >>> seem to recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >>>
    >>> I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    >>> away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone
    >>> know if this is possible?

    >> I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    >> not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    >> message. (WinXP)
    >>

    > When composing messages in Plain Text or HTML you can use Tools>>Edit
    > ..in External Editor to select an editor of your choice (e.g. Notepad).
    > After editing, hit save & exit to go back to Compose. Th editor to use
    > is be used is specified in the:
    > exteditor.default.editor preference using the config editor. In the
    > String entry specify - inside quotes - the full path to the exe file of
    > the desired editor.

    Ooh--now you're getting fancy!

    --
    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
    Bend, Oregon

  12. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 8:25 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 9/30/2008 2:28 PM, Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

    >>> On this Mac, TB has a View menu with a Message Source item that seems to
    >>> do the job. CMD-U also works, probably CTRL-U on non-Macs. I've used
    >>> this occasionally, usually to look at the full headers, and I seem to
    >>> recall that it also shows the source of HTML messages.
    >>>
    >>> I've at times wanted to edit messages in my Inbox before filing them
    >>> away somewhere, but I don't know of a way to do that in TB. Anyone
    >>> know if this is possible?

    >> I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    >> not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    >> message. (WinXP)
    >>

    > When composing messages in Plain Text or HTML you can use Tools>>Edit
    > ..in External Editor to select an editor of your choice (e.g. Notepad).
    > After editing, hit save & exit to go back to Compose. Th editor to use
    > is be used is specified in the:
    > exteditor.default.editor preference using the config editor. In the
    > String entry specify - inside quotes - the full path to the exe file of
    > the desired editor.

    No such option in the Tools>>Edit dropdown here.
    Maybe it becomes available if that pref is set?
    Or, you have an extension that enables that.

  13. Re: View/edit HTML?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > On 9/30/2008 2:42 PM Gus Richter wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

    >>> I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But
    >>> that's not the question -- View Source isn't available when
    >>> /composing/ a message. (WinXP)

    >> In order to view the source of an HTML Mail item being composed, use:
    >> Insert/HTML
    >> which will show only what you will be entering to the source at the
    >> point that you're sitting at.
    >>
    >> In order to view all of the BODY's source, you will have to first do:
    >> Edit/Select All or Ctrl+a
    >>
    >> The window is rather small, so you may wish to pull the right and
    >> bottom to make it workable. It is now ready for editing.
    >>

    > Perfect. Who'd have known it worked like that? Many thanks.

    Many people already know. Now you do too.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    He who laughs last thinks slowest!

  14. Re: View/edit HTML?

    mike elliott pisze:
    > Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    > HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes if
    > I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing how.
    > Is there a way?

    You may try my extension, called "Stationery".
    It is intended to work like "Outlook Express "stationery" feature, but
    it also contain easy to use HTML source editor, with syntax
    highlighting. I made this editor, because sometimes i also have problem
    with limited composer edit capabilities.

    HTML Editor preview:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbi...677/1203421926

    URL to extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/4394

    --
    Arivald

  15. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 10:39 PM Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

    >>> In order to view the source of an HTML Mail item being composed, use:
    >>> Insert/HTML
    >>> which will show only what you will be entering to the source at the
    >>> point that you're sitting at.
    >>>
    >>> In order to view all of the BODY's source, you will have to first do:
    >>> Edit/Select All or Ctrl+a
    >>>
    >>> The window is rather small, so you may wish to pull the right and
    >>> bottom to make it workable. It is now ready for editing.
    >>>

    >> Perfect. Who'd have known it worked like that? Many thanks.

    > Many people already know. Now you do too.

    The web of knowledge expands.

    --
    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
    Bend, Oregon

  16. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 9/30/2008 6:49 PM, JoeS wrote:
    > On 9/30/2008 8:25 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> I've used it to view the source of incoming messages also. But that's
    >>> not the question -- View Source isn't available when /composing/ a
    >>> message. (WinXP)
    >>>

    >> When composing messages in Plain Text or HTML you can use Tools>>Edit
    >> ..in External Editor to select an editor of your choice (e.g. Notepad).
    >> After editing, hit save & exit to go back to Compose. Th editor to use
    >> is be used is specified in the:
    >> exteditor.default.editor preference using the config editor. In the
    >> String entry specify - inside quotes - the full path to the exe file of
    >> the desired editor.
    >>

    > No such option in the Tools>>Edit dropdown here.
    > Maybe it becomes available if that pref is set?
    > Or, you have an extension that enables that.

    :-[ Hard to keep track of what functions are built in vs being supplied
    by extensions :-!
    The extension is "External Editor" and may be found at
    http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8
    Note that this was programmed in 2006. I have been unable to find a
    later version.

    --
    Irwin

  17. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 10/1/2008 Irwin Greenwald said
    > I have been unable to find a later version.

    Found a version 0.8.0 at http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8
    but it runs only on TB 3

    --
    Irwin

  18. Re: View/edit HTML?

    On 10/1/2008 9:11 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 10/1/2008 Irwin Greenwald said
    >> I have been unable to find a later version.

    > Found a version 0.8.0 at http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8
    > but it runs only on TB 3

    Version 0.7.4 on the download page says it works with Thunderbird 2. I
    haven't tried it, though.
    Dave Pyles

  19. Re: View/edit HTML?

    Arivald wrote:
    > mike elliott pisze:
    >> Sometimes I manage to get formatting all messed up when editing an
    >> HTML-formatted email. It would be easy to correct some of the messes
    >> if I could view/edit the underlying HTML directly but I'm not seeing
    >> how. Is there a way?

    > You may try my extension, called "Stationery".
    > It is intended to work like "Outlook Express "stationery" feature, but
    > it also contain easy to use HTML source editor, with syntax
    > highlighting. I made this editor, because sometimes i also have problem
    > with limited composer edit capabilities.
    >
    > HTML Editor preview:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbi...677/1203421926
    >
    > URL to extension:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/4394

    Tried it, and it works perfectly for HTML editing. The "stationery"
    part is superfluous for those of us that just want an HTML editor.
    Since it's named "Stationery", it may not show up as an HTML editor
    extension if you do a search on the Mozilla KB, or it may be way down
    the list of hits.

    In any case, this is an EXCELLENT HTML editor. It gives you a full
    screen display of the underlying HTML source code. And unlike the
    "Insert>HTML" native command in TB, this extension shows the HTML tags
    in different colors than text, so the tags are easy to find and edit,
    plus, as I said, it gives a full display not an insert small window.

    And it works not only for composing from scratch, but for replies.

    This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. My compliments to the author.

    (BTW, for former OE users, like myself, the "Edit (HTML Source)" tab
    that shows when you use this extension is pretty much like it was in OE
    .. . . except it's at the top of the text body instead of on the bottom
    like in OE)

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

+ Reply to Thread