Firefox/TB getting unstable - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox/TB getting unstable - Mozilla ; Q wrote: > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:35:31 -0700 > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo > wrote: > >> I'm infavor of cross-posting without followups. Here's >> why: >> >> Lets say you post it to the TB, FF, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56

  1. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    Q wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:35:31 -0700
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm infavor of cross-posting without followups. Here's
    >> why:
    >>
    >> Lets say you post it to the TB, FF, and SM group, with
    >> a followup to the SM group. So, you're forcing me to
    >> go to the SM group to find out the replies.

    > Not forcing -- you can go read the replies or not, as you wish. If
    > followup is not set, you have to read *all three* groups if you want
    > to be sure to see all replies, since mailing list users cannot
    > crosspost their replies; with followup set, at least you know where
    > to expect the rest of the thread to be.

    PLONK

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    On 01.10.2008 18:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Q to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:35:31 -0700
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I'm infavor of cross-posting without followups. Here's
    >> why:
    >>
    >> Lets say you post it to the TB, FF, and SM group, with
    >> a followup to the SM group. So, you're forcing me to
    >> go to the SM group to find out the replies.
    >>

    > Not forcing -- you can go read the replies or not, as you wish. If
    > followup is not set, you have to read *all three* groups if you want
    > to be sure to see all replies, since mailing list users cannot
    > crosspost their replies; with followup set, at least you know where
    > to expect the rest of the thread to be.

    shoot all mail-listers ??

    reg

  3. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Q wrote:

    >>> So anyone hoping to see all replies has to
    >>> read both groups/lists anyway.

    >>> I've set the followup to mozilla.general.

    >> If the TB/SM developers could re-instigate the old NN function where,
    >> if you read a message thats cross/multi-posted to several groups, the
    >> message is marked as read in ALL the groups, that would be great.
    >>
    >> See bugzilla id=43278
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > how can you "re-instigate" it when it was never there in SM/TB in the
    > first place? :-)

    I'll give you this one, Peter!

    Daniel

  4. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 5:24 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 4:28 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
    >> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> did you click on "click here" to see what the report says?
    >>>

    >> I have in the past. I rarely find anything useful in them.
    >>

    > then try Dr Watson and see if that reports anything
    > better.

    My guess was partially correct. I've stopped loading cnbc.com in FF for
    the last couple days. Now FF has only been crashing at the end of the day.

    The tabs I have open are refreshing constantly throughout the day. I
    don't know whether this is causing problems or not. The cnbc.com site
    refreshes on it's own, but I use TMP for setting the refresh of the
    other sites.

    I know Chrome isolates tabs and that might be a better solution, but I
    wasn't rushing out to try it because it's still young.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3 has
    > crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once per day
    > for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't changed in
    > months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I have been
    > doing lately, restarting FF.
    >
    > Having the same issue with TB.
    >
    > I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that many.
    >
    > Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...

    Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...

    I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or start
    looking for alternatives.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3 has
    > crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once per day
    > for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't changed in
    > months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I have been
    > doing lately, restarting FF.
    >
    > Having the same issue with TB.
    >
    > I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that many.
    >
    > Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...

    Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...

    I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or start
    looking for alternatives.

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    Terry R. wrote:
    > The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >> It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3
    >> has crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once per
    >> day for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't
    >> changed in months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I
    >> have been doing lately, restarting FF.
    >>
    >> Having the same issue with TB.
    >>
    >> I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that
    >> many.
    >>
    >> Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...

    > Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >
    > I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or start
    > looking for alternatives.

    crosspost snipped

    If it works in safe mode, then try to see if it is one of your
    extensions - as you say, you don't have very many (how many is many? )
    I would look first at an extension that is common between the two
    programs - that might narrow it down even further

  8. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    Terry R. wrote:

    > The tabs I have open are refreshing constantly throughout the day. I
    > don't know whether this is causing problems or not. The cnbc.com site
    > refreshes on it's own, but I use TMP for setting the refresh of the
    > other sites.

    maybe there's a conflict -- their refresh and your
    refresh. Disable tmp and see what happens. Anything
    in the error console?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 10/2/2008 3:31 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >
    >> The tabs I have open are refreshing constantly throughout the day. I
    >> don't know whether this is causing problems or not. The cnbc.com site
    >> refreshes on it's own, but I use TMP for setting the refresh of the
    >> other sites.

    > maybe there's a conflict -- their refresh and your
    > refresh. Disable tmp and see what happens. Anything
    > in the error console?

    You have to set the refresh on each tab. So I don't enable refresh on
    CNBC since it's not needed.

    No, nothing in the error console.

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3 has
    >> crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once per day
    >> for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't changed in
    >> months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I have been
    >> doing lately, restarting FF.
    >>
    >> Having the same issue with TB.
    >>
    >> I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that many.
    >>
    >> Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...
    >>

    > Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >
    > I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or start
    > looking for alternatives.

    did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.

    weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*

    reg

  11. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3 has
    >> crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once per day
    >> for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't changed in
    >> months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I have been
    >> doing lately, restarting FF.
    >>
    >> Having the same issue with TB.
    >>
    >> I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that many.
    >>
    >> Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...
    >>

    > Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >
    > I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or start
    > looking for alternatives.

    did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.

    weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*

    reg

  12. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    On 10/3/2008 6:49 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3
    >>> has crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once
    >>> per day for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't
    >>> changed in months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I
    >>> have been doing lately, restarting FF.
    >>>
    >>> Having the same issue with TB.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that
    >>> many.
    >>>
    >>> Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...

    >> Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >>
    >> I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or
    >> start looking for alternatives.
    >>

    > did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    > maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.
    >
    > weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*
    >
    > reg

    Terry,
    Looking at the forums (mozillazine) I'm not seeing any stability issues in Gecko 1.8.1
    For Thunderbird, virtually nothing has changed in 2.0.0.17 except for a few security checkins.

    I think looking closer at your system, might be a good idea.

    --
    Joe

  13. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    On 10/3/2008 6:49 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> It used to be FF/TB NEVER crashed (this was the case with v2x). FF3
    >>> has crashed three times today, and has been doing so at least once
    >>> per day for a while now. My daily routine of web pages open hasn't
    >>> changed in months. It wasn't until today that it dawned on me what I
    >>> have been doing lately, restarting FF.
    >>>
    >>> Having the same issue with TB.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose it could be attributed to Add-ons, but I don't use all that
    >>> many.
    >>>
    >>> Starting to lose my faith in Mozilla here...

    >> Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >>
    >> I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or
    >> start looking for alternatives.
    >>

    > did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    > maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.
    >
    > weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*
    >
    > reg

    Terry,
    Looking at the forums (mozillazine) I'm not seeing any stability issues in Gecko 1.8.1
    For Thunderbird, virtually nothing has changed in 2.0.0.17 except for a few security checkins.

    I think looking closer at your system, might be a good idea.

    --
    Joe

  14. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 10/4/2008 8:36 AM, and on a whim, JoeS pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > On 10/3/2008 6:49 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >>>
    >>> I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or
    >>> start looking for alternatives.
    >>>

    >> did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    >> maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.
    >>
    >> weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*
    >>
    >> reg

    > Terry,
    > Looking at the forums (mozillazine) I'm not seeing any stability issues in Gecko 1.8.1
    > For Thunderbird, virtually nothing has changed in 2.0.0.17 except for a few security checkins.
    >
    > I think looking closer at your system, might be a good idea.

    Hi Joe,

    Nothing else has been crashing. It could be an add-on, but I haven't
    had time to start clean and begin the t-shooting process, I just put up
    with it for now.

    --
    Terry R.

  15. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    The date and time was 10/4/2008 8:36 AM, and on a whim, JoeS pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > On 10/3/2008 6:49 AM, squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 02.10.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> The date and time was 9/30/2008 12:51 PM, and on a whim, Terry R.
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Clicking on a newsgroup post and crash...
    >>>
    >>> I guess I could start running both apps in Safe Mode every day, or
    >>> start looking for alternatives.
    >>>

    >> did you take time out to run a *complete, deep* AV scan??
    >> maybe look at other protection software as well - Rootkits, for example.
    >>
    >> weekend is coming up - time to do things you /always/ wanted to do *lol*
    >>
    >> reg

    > Terry,
    > Looking at the forums (mozillazine) I'm not seeing any stability issues in Gecko 1.8.1
    > For Thunderbird, virtually nothing has changed in 2.0.0.17 except for a few security checkins.
    >
    > I think looking closer at your system, might be a good idea.

    Hi Joe,

    Nothing else has been crashing. It could be an add-on, but I haven't
    had time to start clean and begin the t-shooting process, I just put up
    with it for now.

    --
    Terry R.

  16. Re: Firefox/TB getting unstable

    on 9/30/08 8:33 PM Moz Champion (Dan) said the following:
    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 4:41 PM, and on a whim, Moz Champion
    >> (Dan) pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> crosspost snipped, please do no crosspost

    >> Please do NOT remove the crosspost. You are NOT a moderator here. I
    >> referenced both groups because the issue is on both. I do not want to
    >> have to reply twice to any comments.
    >>
    >> But here's a question for you. Why do you use "Moz Champion" when
    >> Mozilla does not recognize the "Champions" as such? Sure there's
    >> reference on ufaq, for obvious reasons when secnews was hosting
    >> mozilla groups. And even Chris I.'s site is clearly talking about
    >> secnews. But since Mozilla no longer uses secnews, your identifier is
    >> confusing at best. You do not have the power you had in secnews
    >> (except what has been possibly given to you in the screenshots group),
    >> and clearly only Chris, Nir & Q are overseeing these groups.
    >>
    >> And when you try to impose authority like you've done here, others may
    >> think you are directly connected with Mozilla, which you're not. I
    >> seriously doubt any users except those who've been in secnews even
    >> know what a Champion reference is all about.
    >>
    >> follow up set to mozilla.general
    >>

    > Mozilla org has recognized the Mozilla Champions
    > quoted from
    >
    > https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/n...03/000007.html
    >
    > The Mozilla Champions is a group of volunteers with the self assumed
    > mission of providing support for Mozilla products to end users. It is
    > a spin-off of the Netscape Champions group, founded in 1995 by Chuck
    > Simmons, Howard Beckerman, John Oliver and a handful of others.
    >
    > After the creation of the Mozilla Foundation, earlier this year,
    > Netscape Champions were warmly welcome to champion for Mozilla.
    > As stated in the Mozilla Champiosns website
    > (http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org), membership in the Champions
    > program is for those who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to aid
    > others using Mozilla products and get to be invited to the program.
    >
    > Mozilla Champions attend as much as 1000 questions a month, from basic
    > to very advanced ones. Much of them within minutes and hardly within
    > more than 24 hours.
    >
    > On
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/other-forums.html
    >
    > We are listed alongside Mozillazine, Mozilla Lab and other forums
    >

    > I will continue to remove crossposts from messages I reply to.
    > Simply because you feel it is your best interest to ignore guidelines
    > does not mean I can ignore them as well.
    >
    > Regardlesss if users 'know' what a champion is all about or not is not
    > important to the task.

    TB is stagnating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3