can I go back? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on can I go back? - Mozilla ; running FF3 and it has it's problems, can I delete it and reinstall FF2.0.6??? I still have the FF2.0.6 in my download file......

  1. can I go back?

    running FF3 and it has it's problems, can I delete it and reinstall FF2.0.6???

    I still have the FF2.0.6 in my download file...

  2. Re: can I go back?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 9:02 AM, and on a whim, Grybeard pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > running FF3 and it has it's problems, can I delete it and reinstall FF2.0.6???
    >
    > I still have the FF2.0.6 in my download file...

    Remove it using Add/Remove Programs and then install your v2, then have
    it check for updates to get to the latest version of 2, which I believe
    is 2.0.0.17.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: can I go back?

    If you have added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    those once you're back in 2. There are more or less automatic ways
    around this, but maybe you'll have just a few that you can save in some
    manual way while you're still in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back.

    Sebastian Lisken

  4. Re: can I go back?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 9:02 AM, and on a whim, Grybeard pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > running FF3 and it has it's problems, can I delete it and reinstall FF2.0.6???
    >
    > I still have the FF2.0.6 in my download file...

    Or you can get the latest v2 here (English version, for others, back up
    one level by removing en-US/):
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...7/win32/en-US/

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: can I go back?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 9:15 AM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > If you have added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    > those once you're back in 2. There are more or less automatic ways
    > around this, but maybe you'll have just a few that you can save in some
    > manual way while you're still in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back.
    >
    > Sebastian Lisken

    Hi Sebastian,

    Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, Import and Backup, Export HTML. That
    will give you what you need to move back to version 2.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: can I go back?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > Hi Sebastian,
    >
    > Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, Import and Backup, Export HTML. That
    > will give you what you need to move back to version 2.

    You don't have to tell me, I was trying to help the OP. And anyway, the
    more difficult part is to reimport in FF 2 and deal with the duplicates.
    I know the solution - export as bookmarks.html and replace the old
    bookmarks.html in the profile - but I don't want to explain the details
    to a possibly inexperienced user.

    Sebastian

  7. Re: can I go back?

    The date and time was 9/30/2008 2:29 PM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> Hi Sebastian,
    >>
    >> Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks, Import and Backup, Export HTML. That
    >> will give you what you need to move back to version 2.

    > You don't have to tell me, I was trying to help the OP. And anyway, the
    > more difficult part is to reimport in FF 2 and deal with the duplicates.
    > I know the solution - export as bookmarks.html and replace the old
    > bookmarks.html in the profile - but I don't want to explain the details
    > to a possibly inexperienced user.
    >
    > Sebastian

    Well, you gave incorrect info so I was making it correct. "If you have
    added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    those once you're back in 2." That is not correct.

    "There are more or less automatic ways around this, but maybe you'll
    have just a few that you can save in some manual way while you're still
    in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back." That too is incorrect.

    It's not difficult at all to re-import. You just remove the existing
    bookmarks.html in the profile and then import the one from FF3.

    You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.

    follow-up set to mozilla.general

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: can I go back?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.

    You're right, Terry, I should have put more care into my reply or not
    have responded at all. Sorry and thanks for pointing it out.

    Sebastian

  9. Re: can I go back?

    On 01.10.2008 18:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Doue to
    generate the following:? :
    > Terry R. wrote:
    >
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 2:29 PM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> You don't have to tell me, I was trying to help the OP. And anyway, the
    >>> more difficult part is to reimport in FF 2 and deal with the duplicates.
    >>> I know the solution - export as bookmarks.html and replace the old
    >>> bookmarks.html in the profile - but I don't want to explain the details
    >>> to a possibly inexperienced user.
    >>>
    >>> Sebastian
    >>>

    >> Well, you gave incorrect info so I was making it correct. "If you have
    >> added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    >> those once you're back in 2." That is not correct.
    >>
    >> "There are more or less automatic ways around this, but maybe you'll
    >> have just a few that you can save in some manual way while you're still
    >> in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back." That too is incorrect.
    >>
    >> It's not difficult at all to re-import. You just remove the existing
    >> bookmarks.html in the profile and then import the one from FF3.
    >>
    >> You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.
    >>
    >> follow-up set to mozilla.general
    >>

    > I just moved back to FF2, after discovering FF3 handles the bookmarks in
    > what I consider an unacceptable way. I am glad I always make backups of
    > important files, so I did not have to go through those steps.
    >
    > I hope someone will have a convincing explanation of the advantages of
    > this new approach and will spell out the way it works. The bottom line
    > for me is to understand which files do what so that I can have the upper
    > hand on my machine and not just be a spectator of mecanisms I do not
    > understand.
    >
    > Best regards ... and back them up!

    in my opinion, the *ONLY* advantage that bookmarks in FF3.*
    (places.sqlite) have over the old method (bookmarks.html) is stability.
    As to date, there have been very few complaints about "lost my
    bookmarks", whereas upto and including FF2.*, this was a daily chore here!

    reg

  10. Re: can I go back?

    The date and time was 10/1/2008 11:05 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 01.10.2008 18:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Doue to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> The date and time was 9/30/2008 2:29 PM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Well, you gave incorrect info so I was making it correct. "If you have
    >>> added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    >>> those once you're back in 2." That is not correct.
    >>>
    >>> "There are more or less automatic ways around this, but maybe you'll
    >>> have just a few that you can save in some manual way while you're still
    >>> in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back." That too is incorrect.
    >>>
    >>> It's not difficult at all to re-import. You just remove the existing
    >>> bookmarks.html in the profile and then import the one from FF3.
    >>>
    >>> You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.
    >>>
    >>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
    >>>

    >> I just moved back to FF2, after discovering FF3 handles the bookmarks in
    >> what I consider an unacceptable way. I am glad I always make backups of
    >> important files, so I did not have to go through those steps.
    >>
    >> I hope someone will have a convincing explanation of the advantages of
    >> this new approach and will spell out the way it works. The bottom line
    >> for me is to understand which files do what so that I can have the upper
    >> hand on my machine and not just be a spectator of mecanisms I do not
    >> understand.
    >>
    >> Best regards ... and back them up!
    >>

    > in my opinion, the *ONLY* advantage that bookmarks in FF3.*
    > (places.sqlite) have over the old method (bookmarks.html) is stability.
    > As to date, there have been very few complaints about "lost my
    > bookmarks", whereas upto and including FF2.*, this was a daily chore here!
    >
    > reg

    I never lost any bookmarks in FF2x, but I know others have. I have
    gotten into the habit of whenever I add a bookmark or address in the AB,
    I export the file immediately so if it fails, I've lost nothing. It
    only takes a couple minutes each time and it time well spent IMO.

    --
    Terry R.

  11. Re: can I go back?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 01.10.2008 18:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John Doue to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> The date and time was 9/30/2008 2:29 PM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> Well, you gave incorrect info so I was making it correct. "If you have
    >>> added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    >>> those once you're back in 2." That is not correct.
    >>>
    >>> "There are more or less automatic ways around this, but maybe you'll
    >>> have just a few that you can save in some manual way while you're still
    >>> in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back." That too is incorrect.
    >>>
    >>> It's not difficult at all to re-import. You just remove the existing
    >>> bookmarks.html in the profile and then import the one from FF3.
    >>>
    >>> You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.
    >>>
    >>> follow-up set to mozilla.general
    >>>

    >> I just moved back to FF2, after discovering FF3 handles the bookmarks in
    >> what I consider an unacceptable way. I am glad I always make backups of
    >> important files, so I did not have to go through those steps.
    >>
    >> I hope someone will have a convincing explanation of the advantages of
    >> this new approach and will spell out the way it works. The bottom line
    >> for me is to understand which files do what so that I can have the upper
    >> hand on my machine and not just be a spectator of mecanisms I do not
    >> understand.
    >>
    >> Best regards ... and back them up!
    >>

    > in my opinion, the *ONLY* advantage that bookmarks in FF3.*
    > (places.sqlite) have over the old method (bookmarks.html) is stability.
    > As to date, there have been very few complaints about "lost my
    > bookmarks", whereas upto and including FF2.*, this was a daily chore here!
    >
    > reg

    Not the only advantage. Having the bookmarks in a form available to an
    open source query language has various advantages which will become
    obvious later. Watch for it.
    There are already a few websites that can explain some of the
    advantages, and the power available, right on your bookmarks toolbar.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  12. Re: can I go back?

    "John Doue" wrote in message news:B9qdnf_EHIlhOX7VnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> The date and time was 9/30/2008 2:29 PM, and on a whim, Sebastian Lisken
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> You don't have to tell me, I was trying to help the OP. And anyway, the
    >>> more difficult part is to reimport in FF 2 and deal with the duplicates.
    >>> I know the solution - export as bookmarks.html and replace the old
    >>> bookmarks.html in the profile - but I don't want to explain the details
    >>> to a possibly inexperienced user.
    >>>
    >>> Sebastian

    >> Well, you gave incorrect info so I was making it correct. "If you have
    >> added any bookmarks while you were using FF 3, you will lose
    >> those once you're back in 2." That is not correct.
    >>
    >> "There are more or less automatic ways around this, but maybe you'll
    >> have just a few that you can save in some manual way while you're still
    >> in 3 and then put into 2 once you're back." That too is incorrect.
    >>
    >> It's not difficult at all to re-import. You just remove the existing
    >> bookmarks.html in the profile and then import the one from FF3.
    >>
    >> You have to explain the details, ESPECIALLY to inexperienced users.
    >>
    >> follow-up set to mozilla.general
    >>

    > I just moved back to FF2, after discovering FF3 handles the bookmarks in
    > what I consider an unacceptable way. I am glad I always make backups of
    > important files, so I did not have to go through those steps.
    >
    > I hope someone will have a convincing explanation of the advantages of
    > this new approach and will spell out the way it works. The bottom line
    > for me is to understand which files do what so that I can have the upper
    > hand on my machine and not just be a spectator of mecanisms I do not
    > understand.
    >
    > Best regards ... and back them up!

    Hi John,
    Well, one advantage of the new bookmarks, is the ability to restore
    from a specific date, without having to take Firefox down using the
    internal .json (Jason) backups, by just selecting the date on the
    Import..
    --
    HTH,