Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet... - Mozilla ; I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11 That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox less and less user friendly. I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm. I ...

  1. Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11

    That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    less and less user friendly.

    I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.

    I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".

    John Kopf

  2. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    On 29.09.2008 17:20 UK Time, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >
    > That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    > less and less user friendly.
    >
    > I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >
    > I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    > new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >
    > John Kopf

    FWIW, FF 3 works perfectly well for me and probably 99.9999% of users.

    You seem to be among the tiny minority of dissatisfied users :-\

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    Herb wrote:
    > On 29.09.2008 17:20 UK Time, John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >>
    >> That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    >> less and less user friendly.
    >>
    >> I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >>
    >> I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    >> new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >>
    >> John Kopf

    > FWIW, FF 3 works perfectly well for me and probably 99.9999% of users.
    >
    > You seem to be among the tiny minority of dissatisfied users :-\

    You should at least go to 2.0,0.17, which is the latest on the version 2
    branch.

  4. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    The date and time was 9/29/2008 2:23 PM, and on a whim, Herb pounded out
    on the keyboard:

    > On 29.09.2008 17:20 UK Time, John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >>
    >> That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    >> less and less user friendly.
    >>
    >> I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >>
    >> I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    >> new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >>
    >> John Kopf

    > FWIW, FF 3 works perfectly well for me and probably 99.9999% of users.
    >
    > You seem to be among the tiny minority of dissatisfied users :-\

    Do you care to validate your numbers? I am surprised to be finding more
    and more users who seem to be switching their default (from what I set
    to FF at one time) to IE. I can't force anything on them as they're
    free to choose. But I would think that if it was working "perfectly",
    no one would be removing it.

    And now that FF3 has constant creating/writing of its SQLite database
    files, I have been removing it from workstations that are being shadowed
    on servers. Who needs to have millisecond backups of these files? It's
    ridiculous, and something that won't be changed.

    Mozilla better be careful or IE8 may start taking back more of its
    market share.

    follow up set to mozilla.general

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >
    > That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    > less and less user friendly.
    >
    > I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >
    > I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    > new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >
    > John Kopf

    What ever floats your boat. Interesting how many people don't want
    things to change.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >
    > That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    > less and less user friendly.
    >
    > I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >
    > I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    > new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >
    > John Kopf

    Chacqu'un a son gout, as the French say. FF 3 works great for me and
    always has.

    Daddy

  7. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    Herb wrote:
    > On 29.09.2008 17:20 UK Time, John O. Kopf wrote:
    >
    >> I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >>
    >> That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    >> less and less user friendly.
    >>
    >> I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >>
    >> I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    >> new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >>
    >> John Kopf
    >>

    > FWIW, FF 3 works perfectly well for me and probably 99.9999% of users.
    >
    > You seem to be among the tiny minority of dissatisfied users :-\

    Your 99.9999 is waaaaaaay off the mark.

    I am using it grudgingly. I find faults with it every week or two. The
    way they changed implementation of the "file" form input just bit me in
    the ass again today, character encoding problems give me more blank
    characters than FF2 ever did .... various other minor annoyances. There
    also seems to have been a change in basic philosophy. A simple, fast.
    extendable browser is becoming bloated, too complicated, and at times
    acting like a nagging mother ("Don't go in there. It's dark!").

    I'd go back to 2.0.0.17, but I know support will eventually stop and
    I'll have to make the switch at some point. I was going to give Chrome a
    try, but .... it's too new ... and I don't want to feed Google's
    marketing database with my browser activity. IE is out of the question
    .... no way. It's like I'm stuck with FF3 ... not for better, and
    slightly for worse.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  8. Re: Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet...

    On 9/29/2008 9:50 PM India Time, _John O. Kopf_ wrote:

    > I have DUMPED Firefox 3.x.x and reverted to Firefox version 2.0.0.11
    >
    > That bypasses many of the recent "improvements" that have made Firefox
    > less and less user friendly.
    >
    > I have ALSO turned off the "tell me of new versions" alarm.
    >
    > I hope someone posts here, if Mozilla gets it's act together and has a
    > new version with "fixes" without the "improvements".
    >
    > John Kopf

    I agree with you.

    I am cursing the day I went to install ff3beta and ever since I am sick
    of it with so many extensions not working, and this or that problem.

    I also want to go back to -- no, not ie. never. -- but to ff2 but can't
    because ff3 has done some changes in bookmarks managements so whatever I
    have added to ff3 in these 6 months would be lost if i revert to ff3,
    that is why I am using it grudingly.

    But, just like you did, I have stopped updating to newer versions
    because they would again make some more extension not work.

    if anyone can suggest me how to get my entire 100% settings from ff3 to
    ff2, I would immediately switch back to ff2.

    I hope members wouldn't really mind because I am devoted ns/ff user for
    10 years and would want to remain with ff.

    Thanks.