bookmarks toolbar annoyance - Mozilla

This is a discussion on bookmarks toolbar annoyance - Mozilla ; I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little popup window that says "This web site does not supply identity information." That ...

  1. bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little popup
    window that says "This web site does not supply identity information." That
    window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop into, and blocks me
    from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it off?

  2. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    > the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little popup
    > window that says "This web site does not supply identity information." That
    > window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop into, and blocks me
    > from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it off?

    Why not just drag the tab you want to bookmark into the bar, rather than
    the URL text ? I didn't know that worked, thanks for making me look.

  3. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    > the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little popup
    > window that says "This web site does not supply identity information." That
    > window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop into, and blocks me
    > from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it off?

    I don't get that message when doing it with the google home page (which
    according to the button to the left of the URL, doesn't supply ID info).

  4. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    "Yeebok Shu'in" wrote in message
    news:AOqdnUwemO0RwEDVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Paul Pedersen wrote:
    >> I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    >> the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little
    >> popup window that says "This web site does not supply identity
    >> information." That window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop
    >> into, and blocks me from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it
    >> off?
    >>

    > I don't get that message when doing it with the google home page (which
    > according to the button to the left of the URL, doesn't supply ID info).

    It appears when you drag the icon from the address bar.

  5. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    "Yeebok Shu'in" wrote in message
    news:AOqdnU0emO39wEDVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Paul Pedersen wrote:
    >> I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    >> the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little
    >> popup window that says "This web site does not supply identity
    >> information." That window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop
    >> into, and blocks me from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it
    >> off?
    >>

    > Why not just drag the tab you want to bookmark into the bar, rather than
    > the URL text ? I didn't know that worked, thanks for making me look.

    Yes, dragging the tab works. I had been trying to drag the icon from the
    address bar.

  6. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > "Yeebok Shu'in" wrote in message
    > news:AOqdnU0emO39wEDVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Paul Pedersen wrote:
    >>> I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    >>> the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little
    >>> popup window that says "This web site does not supply identity
    >>> information." That window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop
    >>> into, and blocks me from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it
    >>> off?
    >>>

    >> Why not just drag the tab you want to bookmark into the bar, rather than
    >> the URL text ? I didn't know that worked, thanks for making me look.

    > Yes, dragging the tab works. I had been trying to drag the icon from the
    > address bar.

    I always drag the icon from the URL to the toolbar, even several levels
    deep in folders, and it works fine, except that the folder goes to
    'selected' and stays that way until I reload FF. Minor, but annoying,
    cosmetic bug, but I have no problem getting the site bookmarked.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    On 09/28/2008 03:45 AM, Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > "Yeebok Shu'in" wrote in message
    > news:AOqdnUwemO0RwEDVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Paul Pedersen wrote:
    >>> I like to create bookmarks by dragging from the addressbar to a folder on
    >>> the bookmarks toolbar. But often when I try, I get that stupid little
    >>> popup window that says "This web site does not supply identity
    >>> information." That window often covers up the folder I'm trying to drop
    >>> into, and blocks me from doing what I want. Is there a way to turn it
    >>> off?
    >>>

    >> I don't get that message when doing it with the google home page (which
    >> according to the button to the left of the URL, doesn't supply ID info).

    > It appears when you drag the icon from the address bar.

    No, it only appears when you click the icon once, not when you click and
    start to drag. You may need a new mouse.

  8. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    > No, it only appears when you click the icon once, not when you click and
    > start to drag. You may need a new mouse.

    No, that's not true. It appears for me both when I click it once, and
    when I click and drag it. This is on Mac and XP, on different
    computers.

    Just want to keep the record straight that this is a real annoyance.

  9. Re: bookmarks toolbar annoyance

    On Oct 20, 7:19*pm, jbeach wrote:
    > Just want to keep the record straight that this is a real annoyance.

    Completely agree. The message is not useful because it's not plain
    and more importantly, because it gets in the way. I've always dragged
    the icon to save bookmarks; I'm glad to know that dragging the tab
    also works, but this is a workaround, why should we have to change our
    behavior to accommodate a message that adds no value? It seems to me
    that the message should appear only on rollover, not on click-and-
    drag. And anyway it seems to me that almost no site suplies identity
    information.

+ Reply to Thread