Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux - Mozilla ; Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However, with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message on ...

  1. Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on
    my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message
    on missing libraries.

    I did manage to upgrade by using the 'Full installer', but I would
    prefer to use the tarball installation.

    BTW for each upgrade I need to manually copy most of the content of
    /dictionaries from the prior release. I didn't manage to
    find documentation on alternate locations of dictionary stuff outside
    the seamonkey directory tree. Any clues?
    --
    Christian Mondrup, Archive Editor
    WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive

  2. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Christian Mondrup wrote:
    > Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on
    > my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    > downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    > with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message
    > on missing libraries.
    >
    > I did manage to upgrade by using the 'Full installer', but I would
    > prefer to use the tarball installation.
    >
    > BTW for each upgrade I need to manually copy most of the content of
    > /dictionaries from the prior release. I didn't manage to
    > find documentation on alternate locations of dictionary stuff outside
    > the seamonkey directory tree. Any clues?

    Christian, I was going to wait a few more days prior to downloading the
    tar.gz file, but, seems as your having probs, I'll give it a go tonight.

    Daniel

  3. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    On 09/26/2008 08:32 AM, Christian Mondrup wrote:
    > Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on
    > my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    > downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    > with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message
    > on missing libraries.

    What where the errors?

    Was it: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
    open shared object file: No such file or directory ?

    If so:

    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

    (be sure to enable the universe repositories).

  4. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Daniel wrote:
    > Christian Mondrup wrote:
    >> Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on
    >> my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    >> downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    >> with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message
    >> on missing libraries.
    >>
    >> I did manage to upgrade by using the 'Full installer', but I would
    >> prefer to use the tarball installation.
    >>
    >> BTW for each upgrade I need to manually copy most of the content of
    >> /dictionaries from the prior release. I didn't manage
    >> to find documentation on alternate locations of dictionary stuff
    >> outside the seamonkey directory tree. Any clues?

    > Christian, I was going to wait a few more days prior to downloading the
    > tar.gz file, but, seems as your having probs, I'll give it a go tonight.
    >
    > Daniel

    Cristian, here's me using my SM 1.1.12 on MandrivaLinux 2007.

    No more dramas than usual!

    Sorry, cannot be of any further help than to say WFM!!

    Daniel

  5. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 09/26/2008 08:32 AM, Christian Mondrup wrote:
    >> Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey on
    >> my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    >> downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    >> with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error message
    >> on missing libraries.

    > What where the errors?

    error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom.so: cannot open shared
    object file: No such file or directory

    I've done a test installation in order to re-investigate what happened.

    Neither libxpcom.so, libxpcom_core.so nor libxpcom_compat.so are in the
    tarball distribution. Hence I copied these files from seamonkey 1.1.12
    as installed from the installer distribution.

    I retried ./seamonkey-bin from the test seamonkey directory - and got
    the same error.

    Next step was to set 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/test/seamonkey'

    At next attempt to run seamonkey-bin I got a 'Bus error'

    For now I have no more ideas on what to do to get the tarball dist working.
    --
    Christian Mondrup, Archive Editor
    WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive
    http://icking-music-archive.org/

  6. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Christian Mondrup wrote:
    > Neither libxpcom.so, libxpcom_core.so nor libxpcom_compat.so are in the
    > tarball distribution. Hence I copied these files from seamonkey 1.1.12
    > as installed from the installer distribution.

    I see all those in a tarball I downloaded locally, and I also could run
    the SeaMonkey 1.1.12 from that tarball without problems.
    Maybe you have a corrupted download? Does the MD5 sum match?

    Robert Kaiser

  7. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Christian Mondrup wrote:
    >> Neither libxpcom.so, libxpcom_core.so nor libxpcom_compat.so are in the
    >> tarball distribution. Hence I copied these files from seamonkey 1.1.12
    >> as installed from the installer distribution.

    > I see all those in a tarball I downloaded locally, and I also could run
    > the SeaMonkey 1.1.12 from that tarball without problems.
    > Maybe you have a corrupted download?

    That was obviously the case. I downloaded the tarball dist once again,
    unpacked and launched seamonkey with no errors.

    Of course I ought to have considered a corrupted download myself!

    --
    Christian Mondrup, Archive Editor
    WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive
    http://icking-music-archive.org/

  8. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Christian Mondrup wrote:
    > Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >> Christian Mondrup wrote:
    >>> Neither libxpcom.so, libxpcom_core.so nor libxpcom_compat.so are in the
    >>> tarball distribution. Hence I copied these files from seamonkey 1.1.12
    >>> as installed from the installer distribution.

    >> I see all those in a tarball I downloaded locally, and I also could
    >> run the SeaMonkey 1.1.12 from that tarball without problems.
    >> Maybe you have a corrupted download?

    > That was obviously the case. I downloaded the tarball dist once again,
    > unpacked and launched seamonkey with no errors.
    >
    > Of course I ought to have considered a corrupted download myself!
    >
    >> Does the MD5 sum match?

    Glad to hear you got yourself up and running.

    After I had d/l'ed the file on Saturday and installed it and it worked
    no problems, seeing you were still having probs, I was about to suggest
    you re-download, but you beat me to it!

    Daniel

  9. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    Christian Mondrup wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:
    >> On 09/26/2008 08:32 AM, Christian Mondrup wrote:
    >>> Until Seamonkey release 1.1.11 I've successfully upgraded seamonkey
    >>> on my linux stations (prior Redhat Fedora 9, now Ubuntu 8.04) by
    >>> downloading and installing the binary tarball distribution. However,
    >>> with release 1.1.12 the installed software fails with an error
    >>> message on missing libraries.

    >> What where the errors?

    > error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom.so: cannot open shared
    > object file: No such file or directory
    >
    > I've done a test installation in order to re-investigate what happened.
    >
    > Neither libxpcom.so, libxpcom_core.so nor libxpcom_compat.so are in the
    > tarball distribution. Hence I copied these files from seamonkey 1.1.12
    > as installed from the installer distribution.
    >
    > I retried ./seamonkey-bin from the test seamonkey directory - and got
    > the same error.
    >
    > Next step was to set 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/test/seamonkey'
    >
    > At next attempt to run seamonkey-bin I got a 'Bus error'
    >
    > For now I have no more ideas on what to do to get the tarball dist working.

    The tarball dist uses obsolete libraries not provided by default. In Fedora I
    have to install some "compat" libraries "which provide support for older
    binaries." Why the package is linked with less than current versions is not
    obviously clear.

    --
    Bill Davidsen

  10. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    On 10/01/2008 02:53 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Christian Mondrup wrote:

    >> For now I have no more ideas on what to do to get the tarball dist working.

    > The tarball dist uses obsolete libraries not provided by default. In Fedora I
    > have to install some "compat" libraries "which provide support for older
    > binaries." Why the package is linked with less than current versions is not
    > obviously clear.

    And those would be? It would be more helpful if you listed the libraries
    that you are referring to. [Disclaimer: I don't use Fedora. But others
    might so a little more detail than "uses obsolete libraries not provided
    by default" would be helpful to all]

    Note: Christian had a corrupted download (see his last post).

  11. Re: Seamonkey 1.1.12 tarball distribution for linux

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 10/01/2008 02:53 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >> Christian Mondrup wrote:

    >>> For now I have no more ideas on what to do to get the tarball dist working.

    >> The tarball dist uses obsolete libraries not provided by default. In Fedora I
    >> have to install some "compat" libraries "which provide support for older
    >> binaries." Why the package is linked with less than current versions is not
    >> obviously clear.
    >>

    > And those would be? It would be more helpful if you listed the libraries
    > that you are referring to. [Disclaimer: I don't use Fedora. But others
    > might so a little more detail than "uses obsolete libraries not provided
    > by default" would be helpful to all]

    The RPMs are labeled "compat" in Fedora, and provide old versions of libraries.
    The need for old libraries should be clue enough, I expect distributions will
    have on set for gcc-3 one for gcc-2, etc. The Fedora may include the actual
    compiler as well, I think there's a compile switch to use it, but I haven't used
    it in years. I still have FC-1 in a VM to build old stuff.