Free SMTP servers - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Free SMTP servers - Mozilla ; In another thread, Kevin P wrote > Peter Lawson wrote: >> On 06/09/2008 Kevin P wrote: >>> Try another smtp. There are free ones out there and her is a list: >>> >>> http://www.brightcity.co.uk/free_lis...il_servers.htm >>> >> A very interesting list. ...

  1. Free SMTP servers

    In another thread, Kevin P wrote
    > Peter Lawson wrote:
    >> On 06/09/2008 Kevin P wrote:
    >>> Try another smtp. There are free ones out there and her is a list:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.brightcity.co.uk/free_lis...il_servers.htm
    >>>

    >> A very interesting list. I looked at several sites but could not find
    >> one with a clear (if any) explanation of how to obtain such a facility.
    >> Do you know of a specific one?
    >>

    > You are with google mail so you could use the google free smtp server I
    > found this site which discusses it:
    >
    > http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...ems-again.html
    >
    > Good luck

    and
    > One way is to register a yahoo email if you do not have one already - go
    > to the www.yahoo.co.uk site get email. If you do that, you will have to
    > set up that yahoo account so that you can fetch your mail using POP3 via
    > an email client such as outlook express (thunderbird).
    >
    > Once that is done, in the UK you can then connect to the yahoo severs
    > with the following:
    >
    > POP3
    > pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    > Your yahoo email: another@yahoo.co.uk
    > password: xxxxxx
    >
    > SMTP
    > smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    > Your yahoo email: another@yahoo.co.uk
    > password: xxxxxx
    >
    > In thunderbird, I have set up this connection for "no security" and it
    > works fine. The same holds for Outlook Express, Outlook and Turnpike
    > although yahoo states you should use SSL.

    Thanks, Kevin.
    Using the relevant extensions, Webmail, Webmail Gmail, and Webmail
    Yahoo, I have tried setting up POP and SMTP accounts. Gmail works fine,
    Yahoo does not. And the Yahoo site says one must pay an additional $20 a
    year just to get POP, with no mention of SMTP :-(
    I have not tried Hotmail.
    Is the Webmail Yahoo extension a miniature SMTP server, using localhost?
    Because I was in France when I tried to set it up, my Yahoo address is
    @yahoo.fr. I can find nowhere to change it. Does it matter?
    Anyway, Gmail works, so Yahoo is not needed. I just don't like to be
    beaten :-)

    --
    Peter Lawson
    Cape Town: 021-797-4493

  2. Re: Free SMTP servers

    Peter Lawson wrote:
    > In another thread, Kevin P wrote
    >> Peter Lawson wrote:

    >> You are with google mail so you could use the google free smtp server I
    >> found this site which discusses it:
    >>
    >> http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...ems-again.html
    >>
    >> Good luck

    > and
    >> One way is to register a yahoo email if you do not have one already - go
    >> to the www.yahoo.co.uk site get email. If you do that, you will have to
    >> set up that yahoo account so that you can fetch your mail using POP3 via
    >> an email client such as outlook express (thunderbird).
    >>
    >> Once that is done, in the UK you can then connect to the yahoo severs
    >> with the following:
    >>
    >> POP3
    >> pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    >> Your yahoo email: another@yahoo.co.uk
    >> password: xxxxxx
    >>
    >> SMTP
    >> smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    >> Your yahoo email: another@yahoo.co.uk
    >> password: xxxxxx
    >>
    >> In thunderbird, I have set up this connection for "no security" and it
    >> works fine. The same holds for Outlook Express, Outlook and Turnpike
    >> although yahoo states you should use SSL.
    >>

    > Thanks, Kevin.
    > Using the relevant extensions, Webmail, Webmail Gmail, and Webmail
    > Yahoo, I have tried setting up POP and SMTP accounts. Gmail works fine,
    > Yahoo does not. And the Yahoo site says one must pay an additional $20 a
    > year just to get POP, with no mention of SMTP :-(
    > I have not tried Hotmail.
    > Is the Webmail Yahoo extension a miniature SMTP server, using localhost?
    > Because I was in France when I tried to set it up, my Yahoo address is
    > @yahoo.fr. I can find nowhere to change it. Does it matter?
    > Anyway, Gmail works, so Yahoo is not needed. I just don't like to be
    > beaten :-)

    There is a difference between webmail and what we can call standard
    mail. Webmail accesses the yahoo or google mail server through a web
    browser. The addons that you mention mimic Webmail in Thunderbird.
    Hotmail (and Live) is the only one - as far as I understand - which does
    not allow an email client to fetch and send mail from and to its servers
    using POP and SMTP respectively.

    On the other hand, an "email client" like thunderbird, pegasus, outlook
    etc ... talks to the yahoo or google mail server using POP3 and SMTP
    directly - hence the settings given above.

    But to come back to your original problem:

    If you set up outlook express to fetch/send mail from one of your
    accounts, making sure that it leaves the mail on the server, you can at
    least find out if it is a thunderbird problem or not.

    After that, you can then set up OE to fetch and send mail via a
    yahoo/google mail account to see if it is a problem with your ISP
    POP/SMTP server.

    As for google mail, I have not used this at all so I cannot really help.
    As for yahoo, it works most of the time without problem. As I said, set
    up a dummy yahoo account, change its options to allow the email to be
    collected by an email client and then set up OE (so your thunderbird
    setting remain untouched) to fetch mail from that dummy yahoo account
    and not via the webmail add-ons.
    --
    Kevin Pugh

  3. Re: Free SMTP servers

    NewsGroup wrote:
> [...]

    > etc ... talks to the yahoo or google mail server using POP3 and SMTP
    > directly - hence the settings given above.
    >
    > But to come back to your original problem:
    >
    > If you set up outlook express to fetch/send mail from one of your
    > accounts, making sure that it leaves the mail on the server, you can at
    > least find out if it is a thunderbird problem or not.
    >
    > After that, you can then set up OE to fetch and send mail via a
    > yahoo/google mail account to see if it is a problem with your ISP
    > POP/SMTP server.
    >
    > As for google mail, I have not used this at all so I cannot really help.
    > As for yahoo, it works most of the time without problem. As I said, set
    > up a dummy yahoo account, change its options to allow the email to be
    > collected by an email client and then set up OE (so your thunderbird
    > setting remain untouched) to fetch mail from that dummy yahoo account

    FOr your french Yahoo server addresses, I think SMTP is smtp.yahoo.fr
    (or smtp.yahoo.com) and for POP3 it is pop.yahoo.fr.

    --
    Kevin Pugh

+ Reply to Thread