Problem with USPS website - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problem with USPS website - Mozilla ; Hi, I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has given all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card payment, and that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping label in pdf format. However, recently ...

  1. Problem with USPS website

    Hi,

    I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has given
    all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card payment, and
    that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping label in pdf format.
    However, recently a new behavior has started.

    Whereas previously the website generated a pdf and FF launched the pdf
    for printing, now the website seems to be generating a munged file.

    It is now sending a file called:
    "com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"

    My workaround has been to save the file as "com.usps.cns.web.pdf" and
    open it manually and print it. Clunky, but it works.

    I can't imagine that the USPS website is sending out a munged file to
    its thousands of users for the past several months, so I reckon FF is
    getting confused.

    I have NoScript running, but it's been told to run all scripts on these
    pages. Java and Javascript are enabled.

    FF3.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

  2. Re: Problem with USPS website

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel keyboarded, On 9/5/2008 6:08 PM :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has given
    > all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card payment, and
    > that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping label in pdf format.
    > However, recently a new behavior has started.
    >
    > Whereas previously the website generated a pdf and FF launched the pdf
    > for printing, now the website seems to be generating a munged file.
    >
    > It is now sending a file called:
    > "com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"
    >
    > My workaround has been to save the file as "com.usps.cns.web.pdf" and
    > open it manually and print it. Clunky, but it works.
    >
    > I can't imagine that the USPS website is sending out a munged file to
    > its thousands of users for the past several months, so I reckon FF is
    > getting confused.
    >
    > I have NoScript running, but it's been told to run all scripts on these
    > pages. Java and Javascript are enabled.
    >
    > FF3.

    My guess is a server configuration error where the name of the server side
    program,"LabelGenerationServlet", is being appended to the file generated
    by the 'Servlet'. Often processes at large firms use server farms, so this
    could happen to random users while the majority are not effected.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Problem with USPS website

    On 9/5/2008 6:01 PM Ron K. wrote:

    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel keyboarded, On 9/5/2008 6:08 PM :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has given
    >> all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card payment, and
    >> that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping label in pdf format.
    >> However, recently a new behavior has started.
    >>
    >> Whereas previously the website generated a pdf and FF launched the pdf
    >> for printing, now the website seems to be generating a munged file.
    >>
    >> It is now sending a file called:
    >> "com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"
    >>
    >> My workaround has been to save the file as "com.usps.cns.web.pdf" and
    >> open it manually and print it. Clunky, but it works.
    >>
    >> I can't imagine that the USPS website is sending out a munged file to
    >> its thousands of users for the past several months, so I reckon FF is
    >> getting confused.
    >>
    >> I have NoScript running, but it's been told to run all scripts on these
    >> pages. Java and Javascript are enabled.
    >>
    >> FF3.
    >>

    > My guess is a server configuration error where the name of the server side
    > program,"LabelGenerationServlet", is being appended to the file generated
    > by the 'Servlet'. Often processes at large firms use server farms, so this
    > could happen to random users while the majority are not effected.

    So this working theory is that it is something that only affect small
    non-server-farmed (whatever a "server farm" is) users? Have you been to
    usps.com? It certainly doesn't seem to be set up to favor large firms, and
    there is nothing there to warn off some guy with a single computer and no
    farms, server or otherwise.

    The site worked just peachy for my tiny firm until about two months or so
    ago.

    My counter theory is that it is an FF issue -- I could be wrong! -- and to
    test this theory of mine I will use IE the next time I need to print
    shipping labels. It /that/ works then I will turn off all extensions and
    stuff and try again in FF.

    --
    Mike RJS

  4. Re: Problem with USPS website

    On 05.09.2008 20:43, mike elliott wrote:

    >> Mike Rocket J Squirrel keyboarded, On 9/5/2008 6:08 PM :
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has given
    >>> all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card payment, and
    >>> that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping label in pdf format.
    >>> However, recently a new behavior has started.
    >>>
    >>> Whereas previously the website generated a pdf and FF launched the pdf
    >>> for printing, now the website seems to be generating a munged file.
    >>>
    >>> It is now sending a file called:
    >>> "com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"
    >>>
    >>> My workaround has been to save the file as "com.usps.cns.web.pdf" and
    >>> open it manually and print it. Clunky, but it works.
    >>>
    >>> I can't imagine that the USPS website is sending out a munged file to
    >>> its thousands of users for the past several months, so I reckon FF is
    >>> getting confused.
    >>>
    >>> I have NoScript running, but it's been told to run all scripts on these
    >>> pages. Java and Javascript are enabled.
    >>>
    >>> FF3.
    >>>

    >> My guess is a server configuration error where the name of the server side
    >> program,"LabelGenerationServlet", is being appended to the file generated
    >> by the 'Servlet'. Often processes at large firms use server farms, so this
    >> could happen to random users while the majority are not effected.
    >>

    > So this working theory is that it is something that only affect small
    > non-server-farmed (whatever a "server farm" is) users? Have you been to
    > usps.com? It certainly doesn't seem to be set up to favor large firms, and
    > there is nothing there to warn off some guy with a single computer and no
    > farms, server or otherwise.
    >
    > The site worked just peachy for my tiny firm until about two months or so
    > ago.
    >
    > My counter theory is that it is an FF issue -- I could be wrong! -- and to
    > test this theory of mine I will use IE the next time I need to print
    > shipping labels. It /that/ works then I will turn off all extensions and
    > stuff and try again in FF.

    I've been doing shipping labels online for a very long time. FF 3.01
    works just fine here. Have you updated to the latest Adobe ?

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org

  5. Re: Problem with USPS website

    Jay Garcia scribbled the following,on 05-Sep-08 21:42:
    > On 05.09.2008 20:43, mike elliott wrote:

    Just googled this:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05052713194641

    --
    There are three kinds of people -- those that can count and those that
    can't.

  6. Re: Problem with USPS website

    mike elliott keyboarded, On 9/5/2008 9:43 PM :
    > On 9/5/2008 6:01 PM Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Rocket J Squirrel keyboarded, On 9/5/2008 6:08 PM :
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I print shipping labels from the USPS.com website. After one has
    >>> given all the particulars to the website, it asks for credit card
    >>> payment, and that having been satisfied, it generates a shipping
    >>> label in pdf format. However, recently a new behavior has started.
    >>>
    >>> Whereas previously the website generated a pdf and FF launched the
    >>> pdf for printing, now the website seems to be generating a munged file.
    >>>
    >>> It is now sending a file called:
    >>> "com.usps.cns.web.pdf.LabelGenerationServlet"
    >>>
    >>> My workaround has been to save the file as "com.usps.cns.web.pdf" and
    >>> open it manually and print it. Clunky, but it works.
    >>>
    >>> I can't imagine that the USPS website is sending out a munged file to
    >>> its thousands of users for the past several months, so I reckon FF is
    >>> getting confused.
    >>>
    >>> I have NoScript running, but it's been told to run all scripts on
    >>> these pages. Java and Javascript are enabled.
    >>>
    >>> FF3.
    >>>

    >> My guess is a server configuration error where the name of the server
    >> side program,"LabelGenerationServlet", is being appended to the file
    >> generated by the 'Servlet'. Often processes at large firms use server
    >> farms, so this could happen to random users while the majority are not
    >> effected.
    >>

    > So this working theory is that it is something that only affect small
    > non-server-farmed (whatever a "server farm" is) users? Have you been to
    > usps.com? It certainly doesn't seem to be set up to favor large firms,
    > and there is nothing there to warn off some guy with a single computer
    > and no farms, server or otherwise.
    >
    > The site worked just peachy for my tiny firm until about two months or
    > so ago.
    >
    > My counter theory is that it is an FF issue -- I could be wrong! -- and
    > to test this theory of mine I will use IE the next time I need to print
    > shipping labels. It /that/ works then I will turn off all extensions and
    > stuff and try again in FF.

    A "Server Farm" is a collection of servers used for load balancing by a
    site with high traffic demands. The collection shares one IP address or
    domain name.

    In the past, support issues that were hard to trace turned out to be caused
    by an admin error in setting up one of the servers, which were using Active
    Server Page (ASP) technology. ASP uses script programs on the server to
    generate HTML content on the fly. I interpreted some of your provided info
    as indicating an error on a server.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Problem with USPS website

    On 05.09.2008 22:51, John Spence wrote:

    >> I've been doing shipping labels online for a very long time. FF 3.01
    >> works just fine here. Have you updated to the latest Adobe ?
    >>

    > Just googled this:
    > http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05052713194641

    Like I said, it works here, no problem. I guess it does because I have
    Adobe set to open in the reader rather than in the browser window as always.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org
    Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

  8. Re: Problem with USPS website

    On 9/5/2008 8:51 PM John Spence wrote:

    > Jay Garcia scribbled the following,on 05-Sep-08 21:42:
    >> On 05.09.2008 20:43, mike elliott wrote:

    Interesting. I've got (and always have had) FF set to open pdfs in browser
    windows, although I think that before The Troubles began, the usps labels
    may have opened in Acrobat Reader (v. 9.0 right now).

    I'm using the latest version of PDFdownload, but I don't know if it
    recognizes "com.usps.cns.web.pdf-2.LabelGenerationServlet" as a pdf file.
    FF just tries to save it to disk.

    Is there a way to tell FF to send files with the extension
    ".LabelGenerationServlet" to Reader? And will Reader not choke on them?

    --
    Mike RJS

  9. Re: Problem with USPS website

    On Sep 6, 7:43*pm, mike elliott wrote:
    > On 9/5/2008 8:51 PM John Spence wrote:
    >

    > > Jay Garcia scribbled the following,on 05-Sep-08 21:42:
    > >> On 05.09.2008 20:43, mike elliott wrote:

    A SOLUTION!!
    I have managed to solve the issue in Firefox 3. Go to "Tools/Options"
    then hit "Applications" and then type "pdf" in the search bar. In the
    "Applications" column, select "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document" then in the
    "Actions" column (to the immediate right), deselect "open file" and
    instead choose "Use [an appropriate viewer, e.g., Foxit], click all
    the OKs, and return to normal Firefox operation. If you now go to
    USPS.com and print a test label, you will find it now works normally
    as it used to, opening the label in the viewer and sending a command
    to the printer. Good luck!

    Andrew

  10. Re: Problem with USPS website

    andrewflet@gmail.com has written on 9/23/2008 6:55 PM:
    > I have managed to solve the issue in Firefox 3. Go to "Tools/Options"
    > then hit "Applications" and then type "pdf" in the search bar. In the
    > "Applications" column, select "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document" then in the
    > "Actions" column (to the immediate right), deselect "open file" and
    > instead choose "Use [an appropriate viewer, e.g., Foxit], click all
    > the OKs, and return to normal Firefox operation. If you now go to
    > USPS.com and print a test label, you will find it now works normally
    > as it used to, opening the label in the viewer and sending a command
    > to the printer.

    Bravo!

+ Reply to Thread