Google Chrome - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Google Chrome - Mozilla ; Blinky the Shark wrote: > Bill wrote: >> "Old Gringo" wrote in message >> news:beOdnY3mJtPeFSPVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. .. >>> FireFox has me spoiled. >>> -- >>> Old Gringo >>> Just West Of Nowhere >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest ...

  1. Re: Google Chrome

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> "Old Gringo" wrote in message
    >> news:beOdnY3mJtPeFSPVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> FireFox has me spoiled.
    >>> --
    >>> Old Gringo
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    >> For a beat , I like Chrome so far. Much faster than FF and the rest.
    >>
    >> although it has a few quirks I don't like one good feature is that the
    >> tabs start a new process (see task manager) so when a web site causes
    >> a crash it takes out the tab and not the entire browser

    > How is it at killing ads? Blocking scripts?

    The one review I read stated that it had some good features. Then it
    went on to describe them and for everyone it stated it said- but you can
    already do that in FF3 with this or that extension.
    Soooooooooooo.........
    caver1

  2. Re: Google Chrome [OT]

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 04.09.2008 00:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused s|b to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> [follow-up set to mozilla.general]

    >>> ummmm - doesn't your newsreader render HTML ?? oh, how primitive
    >>>

    >> You should have made your home work, because for some reason, Forté made
    >> it possible to render HTML with Agent. That doesn't mean everybody
    >> should go posting crap, sorry, HTML, on Usenet.
    >>

    > Forté - istn't that an ice-cream factory??
    >
    > anyway - this here is a MOZILLA group - use moz-products such as
    > Thunderbird to read posts!

    This is not even a TB group. You think every user of a moz product is
    automatically a TB user? You don't want FF users to post to a moz
    server unless they also use TB?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  3. Re: Google Chrome

    On Or About This Date In History squaredancer Stumbled Over To The
    Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On 04.09.2008 00:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Old Gringo to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> On Or About This Date In History s|b Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And
    >> Pecked Out The Following::

    >> When one has the whole world working on a project it seems like
    >> it would be the best. Hats off to Mozilla.
    >>

    > now - who is going to ask "the whole world - can you prove that
    > statement ?"
    > Me ? I stopped working 10 years ago, decided it was for nutters!
    >
    > reg

    I wish you would have been able to enjoy your retirement.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

  4. Re: Google Chrome

    On Or About This Date In History Stephen Fox Stumbled Over To The
    Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> FireFox has me spoiled.

    > Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've seen.

    I have a 3.2 GHz computer and a 6 Mb connection and I am not seeing
    the speed everyone is talking about. Even IE8 is faster.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

  5. Re: Google Chrome

    caver1 wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> "Old Gringo" wrote in message
    >>> news:beOdnY3mJtPeFSPVnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> For a beat , I like Chrome so far. Much faster than FF and the rest.
    >>>
    >>> although it has a few quirks I don't like one good feature is that the
    >>> tabs start a new process (see task manager) so when a web site causes
    >>> a crash it takes out the tab and not the entire browser

    >> How is it at killing ads? Blocking scripts?
    >>

    > The one review I read stated that it had some good features. Then it
    > went on to describe them and for everyone it stated it said- but you can
    > already do that in FF3 with this or that extension.
    > Soooooooooooo.........
    > caver1

    Well, it has a good task manager feature that will tell you just what
    resources are being used by the program, and what subtask. Also the
    display of thumbnails of pages which is displayed on the 'new tab' is a
    feature FF would do well to copy. There is some original thinking in
    the program, and it hasn't crashed on me yet, but their Java/Javascript
    operation has some problems. Won't render Zigzone puzzles on my laptop.
    The UI is pretty good, if a bit plain, and not at all customizable.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: Google Chrome

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:43:44 -0700, Stephen Fox wrote:

    > Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've seen.

    Do you like the carpet-bombing flaw as well?

    --
    s|b

  7. Re: Google Chrome

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> How is it at killing ads? Blocking scripts?
    >>>

    >> The one review I read stated that it had some good features. Then it
    >> went on to describe them and for everyone it stated it said- but you
    >> can already do that in FF3 with this or that extension.
    >> Soooooooooooo.........
    >> caver1

    > Well, it has a good task manager feature that will tell you just what
    > resources are being used by the program, and what subtask. Also the
    > display of thumbnails of pages which is displayed on the 'new tab' is a
    > feature FF would do well to copy. There is some original thinking in
    > the program, and it hasn't crashed on me yet, but their Java/Javascript
    > operation has some problems. Won't render Zigzone puzzles on my laptop.
    > The UI is pretty good, if a bit plain, and not at all customizable.

    It's everyone to their own wants/needs. That is what is behind FOSS
    unlike MS who only wants their browser. For what I do FF is great. I
    will probably try Chrome later as I have others.
    Enjoy
    caver1

  8. Re: Google Chrome

    s|b wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:43:44 -0700, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >
    >> Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've seen.

    > Do you like the carpet-bombing flaw as well?

    Could you please explain that statement?

  9. Re: Google Chrome

    Tarkus wrote:
    > s|b wrote:
    >> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:43:44 -0700, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've
    >>> seen.

    >> Do you like the carpet-bombing flaw as well?

    > Could you please explain that statement?

    To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    Feeling Lucky?
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Only in America are there handicap parking places in front of a skating

  10. Re: Google Chrome

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org

  11. Re: Google Chrome

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.09.2008 09:52, Tarkus wrote:

    Thanks. Not good, but not surprising for a the first beta of a new
    browser. That's why I'm not even going to test it until it's more
    mature, and starts getting better reviews.

  12. Re: Google Chrome

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> s|b wrote:
    >>> Do you like the carpet-bombing flaw as well?

    >> Could you please explain that statement?

    > To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    > google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    > Feeling Lucky?

    What would happen if everyone in newsgroups did that? It would be a
    pretty boring place, and the newsgroup community would be even more dead
    than it already is. In fact, I'd venture to guess most "support"
    questions could be answered in the same way.

    If you don't feel like answering my question, feel free to move on. I
    don't need a lecture on how to use Google. I'm here to converse, and
    such a vulnerability would be better served being talked about here (as
    long as the program is being discussed here), rather than pointing
    everyone to Google.

  13. Re: Google Chrome

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:09:09 -0700, Tarkus wrote:

    > > To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    > > google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    > > Feeling Lucky?

    > What would happen if everyone in newsgroups did that?

    Lets try and we'll see what happens...

    --
    s|b

  14. Re: Google Chrome

    S|b wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:09:09 -0700, Tarkus wrote:
    >
    >>> To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    >>> google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    >>> Feeling Lucky?

    >> What would happen if everyone in newsgroups did that?

    > Lets try and we'll see what happens...

    You're taken to a May 2008 zdnet blog page on the Safari 'carpet
    bombing' flaw.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  15. Re: Google Chrome

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > S|b wrote:

    >>> What would happen if everyone in newsgroups did that?

    >> Lets try and we'll see what happens...

    > You're taken to a May 2008 zdnet blog page on the Safari 'carpet
    > bombing' flaw.

    It's Sept. 2008. It says -Just hours after release-
    Caver1

  16. Re: Google Chrome

    On 04.09.2008 09:58, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    >>> Do you like the carpet-bombing flaw as well?

    >> Could you please explain that statement?

    > To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    > google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    > Feeling Lucky?

    He'd get the same hit that I got when doing the same:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org
    Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

  17. Re: Google Chrome

    On 04.09.2008 10:09, Tarkus wrote:

    >>> Could you please explain that statement?

    >> To answer a question with a question... What would happen if you went to
    >> google.com and copy and pasted that very question in then click I'm
    >> Feeling Lucky?

    > What would happen if everyone in newsgroups did that? It would be a
    > pretty boring place, and the newsgroup community would be even more dead
    > than it already is. In fact, I'd venture to guess most "support"
    > questions could be answered in the same way.
    >
    > If you don't feel like answering my question, feel free to move on. I
    > don't need a lecture on how to use Google. I'm here to converse, and
    > such a vulnerability would be better served being talked about here (as
    > long as the program is being discussed here), rather than pointing
    > everyone to Google.

    Thing about it is, the question was already answered by ME. Now, here it
    is again:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org
    Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

  18. Re: Google Chrome

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> FireFox has me spoiled.

    > Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've seen.

    I would certainly agree with that.

    --

    Rick
    Fargo, ND

    Remember the USS Liberty
    http://www.ussliberty.org/

  19. Re: Google Chrome

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About This Date In History Stephen Fox Stumbled Over To The
    > Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >> Old Gringo wrote:
    >>> FireFox has me spoiled.

    >> Speed alone makes Chrome worth a look-see. So far, I like what I've
    >> seen.
    >>

    > I have a 3.2 GHz computer and a 6 Mb connection and I am not seeing the
    > speed everyone is talking about. Even IE8 is faster.

    I tried IE and it was by comparison (at least on my system) a total dog.

    --

    Rick
    Fargo, ND

    Remember the USS Liberty
    http://www.ussliberty.org/

  20. Re: Google Chrome

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.09.2008 09:52, Tarkus wrote:

    I would imagine that that issue will be fixed in the next release. Beta
    means not really ready in my book.)

    --

    Rick
    Fargo, ND