Ciao all,

is there a recommended way of benchmarking
the impact of an extension tasks on Firefox
performances? Some sort of extension "health
check"?

Let's say for example an extension responds to normal
browsing events (such as domain changes, page loads,
tab openings, etc) by executing some tasks.

These tasks, no matter how good they are implemented
following the best practices discussed often and thoroughly
on this list (threads, async XHR, timeouts, etc,), will somehow
affect Firefox, since Firefox sooner or later will dedicate some
of its processing time to the execution of these tasks.

Now, how can I quantify the impact of these tasks on Firefox,
in the most proper way? In other words, how can I give objective
answers to questions such as:

1) Is navigating to a new site slower because of my extension
"onLocationChange" event handler? If yes, how much?

2) Is loading a web page slower because of my extension
"load" or "onStateChange" event handler? If yes, how much?

3) Is opening/closing tabs slower because of my extension
TabOpen/TabClose event handler? If yes, how much?

Any help greatly appeciated as usual

thanks