access to Firefox search plugins - Mozilla

This is a discussion on access to Firefox search plugins - Mozilla ; Ciao all, is there any interface/service I can use to access the list of search plugins currently installed in Firefox, and their data? In particular I'm interested in the one currently selected by the user. I know I have: 1) ...

  1. access to Firefox search plugins

    Ciao all,

    is there any interface/service I can use to access the
    list of search plugins currently installed in Firefox,
    and their data? In particular I'm interested in the
    one currently selected by the user.

    I know I have:

    1) the "browser.search.defaultenginename" preference

    2) the XML's associated with the plugins,
    either in the firefox installation "searchplugins"
    subdirectory (for the ones coming with firefox by
    default - google, yahoo, ebay, etc.), or in the
    profile "searchplugins" subdirectory (for the
    additional ones user added)

    and in theory I can develop something using
    1 and 2, but is there a better simpler way?

    Apologizes in advance if I missed some previous
    post anwering this, or a tutorial somewhere..

  2. Re: access to Firefox search plugins

    marco.donizelli@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ciao all,
    >
    > is there any interface/service I can use to access the
    > list of search plugins currently installed in Firefox,
    > and their data? In particular I'm interested in the
    > one currently selected by the user.
    >
    > I know I have:
    >
    > 1) the "browser.search.defaultenginename" preference
    >
    > 2) the XML's associated with the plugins,
    > either in the firefox installation "searchplugins"
    > subdirectory (for the ones coming with firefox by
    > default - google, yahoo, ebay, etc.), or in the
    > profile "searchplugins" subdirectory (for the
    > additional ones user added)
    >
    > and in theory I can develop something using
    > 1 and 2, but is there a better simpler way?
    >
    > Apologizes in advance if I missed some previous
    > post anwering this, or a tutorial somewhere..

    There has to be. And then mxr is your friend to find out where exactly
    it is:
    http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/sou...rchService.idl
    And then mxr is a great tool to find out how mozilla devs already use
    that interface:
    http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ide...rSearchService

    Cheers
    Nils

  3. Re: access to Firefox search plugins

    On Aug 21, 9:31*am, Nils Maier wrote:
    > marco.donize...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Ciao all,

    > > is there any interface/service I can use to access the
    > > list of search plugins currently installed in Firefox,
    > > and their data? In particular I'm interested in the
    > > one currently selected by the user.

    > > I know I have:

    > > 1) the "browser.search.defaultenginename" preference

    > > 2) the XML's associated with the plugins,
    > > either in the firefox installation "searchplugins"
    > > subdirectory (for the ones coming with firefox by
    > > default - google, yahoo, ebay, etc.), or in the
    > > profile "searchplugins" subdirectory (for the
    > > additional ones user added)

    > > and in theory I can develop something using
    > > 1 and 2, but is there a better simpler way?

    > > Apologizes in advance if I missed some previous
    > > post anwering this, or a tutorial somewhere..

    > There has to be. And then mxr is your friend to find out where exactly
    > it is:http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/sou...nts/search/nsI...
    > And then mxr is a great tool to find out how mozilla devs already use
    > that interface:http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ide...rSearchService
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nils

    Manymanymany thanks Nils, really appreciate prompt help