Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible - Mozilla ; My dial up takes a while to connect. Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect to...." and the Browser gives a similar message. Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and ...

  1. Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    My dial up takes a while to connect.

    Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect
    to...." and the Browser gives a similar message.

    Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and
    E-Mail don't poll the service for connection until after that preset delay?

    DoctorBill

  2. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > My dial up takes a while to connect.
    >
    > Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect
    > to...." and the Browser gives a similar message.
    >
    > Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and
    > E-Mail don't poll the service for connection until after that preset delay?
    >
    > DoctorBill

    in the address bar, type in about:config and filter for
    timout.

    Double click on these and increase the time period:

    mailnews.tcptimeout
    network.http.keep-alive.timeout

    did this work?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> My dial up takes a while to connect.
    >>
    >> Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect
    >> to...." and the Browser gives a similar message.
    >>
    >> Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and
    >> E-Mail don't poll the service for connection until after that preset
    >> delay?
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > in the address bar, type in about:config and filter for timout.
    >
    > Double click on these and increase the time period:
    >
    > mailnews.tcptimeout
    > network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >
    > did this work?

    When you say "...filter for..." do you mean 'search' using ctrl-F ?

    If not, then I don't know what "filter for" means.....

    I set (manually scrolled for them)

    mailnews.tcptimeout to 300
    and
    network.http.keep-alive.timeout to 2000

    killed SM and disconnected

    Started up - took 30 seconds for the dial up to get back on.

    No error message in mail, but got a timeout in Browser for Google.

    How high can I go in the numbers? Any limit?

    DoctorBill

  4. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> My dial up takes a while to connect.
    >>
    >> Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect
    >> to...." and the Browser gives a similar message.
    >>
    >> Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and
    >> E-Mail don't poll the service for connection until after that preset
    >> delay?
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > in the address bar, type in about:config and filter for timout.
    >
    > Double click on these and increase the time period:
    >
    > mailnews.tcptimeout
    > network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >
    > did this work?

    Sorry for being stupid - never used "About:Config' much - just saw the
    filter line....dumb.

    DB

  5. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> My dial up takes a while to connect.
    >>>
    >>> Meantime, the E-Mail part of SM give a message "Failed to connect
    >>> to...." and the Browser gives a similar message.
    >>>
    >>> Can I insert some "delay" somewhere such that both the Browser and
    >>> E-Mail don't poll the service for connection until after that preset
    >>> delay?
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> in the address bar, type in about:config and filter for timout.
    >>
    >> Double click on these and increase the time period:
    >>
    >> mailnews.tcptimeout
    >> network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >>
    >> did this work?
    >>

    > Sorry for being stupid - never used "About:Config' much - just saw the
    > filter line....dumb.
    >
    > DB

    Tried 10000 and 30000.

    Mail working w/o error but Browser still getting "address not found" -
    page loading error - I have to "try again" (reload).

    Timed dial up - 30 seconds AGAIN.

    DB

  6. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> in the address bar, type in about:config and filter for timout.
    >>>
    >>> Double click on these and increase the time period:
    >>>
    >>> mailnews.tcptimeout
    >>> network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >>>
    >>> did this work?
    >>>

    >> Sorry for being stupid - never used "About:Config' much - just saw the
    >> filter line....dumb.
    >>
    >> DB

    > Tried 10000 and 30000.
    >
    > Mail working w/o error but Browser still getting "address not found" -
    > page loading error - I have to "try again" (reload).
    >
    > Timed dial up - 30 seconds AGAIN.
    >
    > DB

    Even at 100000, the network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    still gives 'address not found - try again' message.

    Going for 300000.....

    DB

  7. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> Sorry for being stupid - never used "About:Config' much - just saw
    >>> the filter line....dumb.
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> Tried 10000 and 30000.
    >>
    >> Mail working w/o error but Browser still getting "address not found" -
    >> page loading error - I have to "try again" (reload).
    >>
    >> Timed dial up - 30 seconds AGAIN.
    >>
    >> DB

    > Even at 100000, the network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    > still gives 'address not found - try again' message.
    >
    > Going for 300000.....
    >
    > DB

    network..etc at 300000 doesn't do it....

    Keep going up?

    DB

  8. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> Tried 10000 and 30000.
    >>>
    >>> Mail working w/o error but Browser still getting "address not found"
    >>> - page loading error - I have to "try again" (reload).
    >>>
    >>> Timed dial up - 30 seconds AGAIN.
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> Even at 100000, the network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >> still gives 'address not found - try again' message.
    >>
    >> Going for 300000.....
    >>
    >> DB

    > network..etc at 300000 doesn't do it....
    >
    > Keep going up?
    >
    > DB

    try this. Close SM. Shut off the computer. Open the
    nearest window, and toss the computer out.

    Did that work? :-P :-D

    If not, then 300000 is far too high. I believe those
    are seconds you're entering.

    Try this as a test. Close SM, then click on the
    windows start button, then run and enter:

    seamonkey.exe -p

    this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a
    test profile. Start SM in that profile. Does the
    problem continue?

    If so, then contact your isp. It might be a problem at
    their end and not yours.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> Even at 100000, the network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    >>> still gives 'address not found - try again' message.
    >>>
    >>> Going for 300000.....
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> network..etc at 300000 doesn't do it....
    >>
    >> Keep going up?
    >>
    >> DB

    > try this. Close SM. Shut off the computer. Open the nearest window,
    > and toss the computer out.
    >
    > Did that work? :-P :-D
    >
    > If not, then 300000 is far too high. I believe those are seconds you're
    > entering.
    >
    > Try this as a test. Close SM, then click on the windows start button,
    > then run and enter:
    >
    > seamonkey.exe -p
    >
    > this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a test profile.
    > Start SM in that profile. Does the problem continue?
    >
    > If so, then contact your isp. It might be a problem at their end and
    > not yours.

    another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a
    firewall issue, or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of
    those is doing the timeout.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> network..etc at 300000 doesn't do it....
    >>>
    >>> Keep going up?
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> try this. Close SM. Shut off the computer. Open the nearest window,
    >> and toss the computer out.
    >>
    >> Did that work? :-P :-D
    >>
    >> If not, then 300000 is far too high. I believe those are seconds
    >> you're entering.
    >>
    >> Try this as a test. Close SM, then click on the windows start button,
    >> then run and enter:
    >>
    >> seamonkey.exe -p
    >>
    >> this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a test profile.
    >> Start SM in that profile. Does the problem continue?
    >>
    >> If so, then contact your isp. It might be a problem at their end and
    >> not yours.
    >>

    > another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a firewall issue,
    > or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of those is doing the timeout.

    Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.

    Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.

    I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.

    I guess I should just have "Blank Page" as my opening page.

    Could it be Google - my opening page?

    Maybe if I put Barack Obama's web site as my opening page, it would go
    faster...OH! No - would be too busy.

    No firewall - just AVG Free.

    How high can I set the timeout? This is SM 1.1, BTW....

    DB

  11. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> try this. Close SM. Shut off the computer. Open the nearest
    >>> window, and toss the computer out.
    >>>
    >>> Did that work? :-P :-D
    >>>
    >>> If not, then 300000 is far too high. I believe those are seconds
    >>> you're entering.
    >>>
    >>> Try this as a test. Close SM, then click on the windows start
    >>> button, then run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> seamonkey.exe -p
    >>>
    >>> this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a test profile.
    >>> Start SM in that profile. Does the problem continue?
    >>>
    >>> If so, then contact your isp. It might be a problem at their end and
    >>> not yours.
    >>>

    >> another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a firewall issue,
    >> or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of those is doing the timeout.
    >>

    > Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.
    >
    > Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.
    >
    > I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    > I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.

    So, you have a solution to the problem but you aren't willing to pay for
    it? Did I get that right?

    Hey, I'm all about choices. But complaining about the choice you make is
    .... well ... not credible.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  12. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a firewall
    >>> issue, or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of those is doing the timeout.
    >>>

    >> Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.
    >>
    >> Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.
    >>
    >> I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    >> I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.

    > So, you have a solution to the problem but you aren't willing to pay for
    > it? Did I get that right?
    >
    > Hey, I'm all about choices. But complaining about the choice you make is
    > ... well ... not credible.

    Yes, you got that right! - I am not willing to pay $75 a month for it.

    If you have that much disposable income....go ahead.

    If I said it costs $150 a month, would you have said that same thing?

    Who are you...?

    Strange reply..........do you drive a Mercedes Benz? Live in Hollywood?

    DB

  13. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a firewall
    >>> issue, or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of those is doing the timeout.
    >>>

    >> Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.
    >>
    >> Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.
    >>
    >> I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    >> I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.
    >>
    >> I guess I should just have "Blank Page" as my opening page.
    >>
    >> Could it be Google - my opening page?
    >>
    >> Maybe if I put Barack Obama's web site as my opening page, it would go
    >> faster...OH! No - would be too busy.
    >>
    >> No firewall - just AVG Free.
    >>
    >> How high can I set the timeout? This is SM 1.1, BTW....
    >>
    >> DB

    > close SM and disable avg. Restart SM. Same problems?
    >
    > Did you try the test profile?

    No - not yet.

    It is late, just got home from work, am tired and going to bed.

    I'll try it tomorrow morning.

    DB

  14. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> try this. Close SM. Shut off the computer. Open the nearest
    >>> window, and toss the computer out.
    >>>
    >>> Did that work? :-P :-D
    >>>
    >>> If not, then 300000 is far too high. I believe those are seconds
    >>> you're entering.
    >>>
    >>> Try this as a test. Close SM, then click on the windows start
    >>> button, then run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> seamonkey.exe -p
    >>>
    >>> this will bring up the SM profile manager. Create a test profile.
    >>> Start SM in that profile. Does the problem continue?
    >>>
    >>> If so, then contact your isp. It might be a problem at their end and
    >>> not yours.
    >>>

    >> another thought came to mind: perhaps the problem is a firewall issue,
    >> or an antivirus one. Perhaps one of those is doing the timeout.
    >>

    > Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.
    >
    > Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.
    >
    > I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    > I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.
    >
    > I guess I should just have "Blank Page" as my opening page.
    >
    > Could it be Google - my opening page?
    >
    > Maybe if I put Barack Obama's web site as my opening page, it would go
    > faster...OH! No - would be too busy.
    >
    > No firewall - just AVG Free.
    >
    > How high can I set the timeout? This is SM 1.1, BTW....
    >
    > DB

    close SM and disable avg. Restart SM. Same problems?

    Did you try the test profile?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> Sorry for being stupid - never used "About:Config' much - just saw
    >>> the filter line....dumb.
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> Tried 10000 and 30000.
    >>
    >> Mail working w/o error but Browser still getting "address not found" -
    >> page loading error - I have to "try again" (reload).
    >>
    >> Timed dial up - 30 seconds AGAIN.
    >>
    >> DB

    > Even at 100000, the network.http.keep-alive.timeout
    > still gives 'address not found - try again' message.
    >
    > Going for 300000.....
    >
    > DB

    The 'address not found' error sounds more like DNS timing out. The
    times for DNS lookups aren't adjustable. And yes, while DNS caches
    lookup info, that cache is cleared once per hour or whenever the PC is
    restarted, whichever comes first.

    To verify whether the DNS lookup is the problem, start the PC cold, open
    SM and let the dial-up connect as normal. Go to a couple of familiar
    pages and verify everything is OK. Shut down SM, close your dial-up,
    then wait about 10 minutes and do it all again, without restarting the
    PC. Since the 1 hour time and PC restart conditions haven't been met,
    your DNS cache already has the IP address for your home page, etc., so
    can't be a variable here. Which means that the dial-up delay, if it
    fails at all, is the culprit.

  16. Re: Dial Up takes forever to connect - delay possible

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Mine is a 3.3 GHz machine.....on dial up.
    >>>
    >>> Like putting a Mercedes Benz behind an old tired horse pulling it.
    >>>
    >>> I live 30 miles into the Wheat Fields and will never get DSL out here.
    >>> I'd have to buy Cable TV to get Cable connection - screw that.
    >>>
    >>> I guess I should just have "Blank Page" as my opening page.
    >>>
    >>> Could it be Google - my opening page?
    >>>
    >>> Maybe if I put Barack Obama's web site as my opening page, it would
    >>> go faster...OH! No - would be too busy.
    >>>
    >>> No firewall - just AVG Free.
    >>>
    >>> How high can I set the timeout? This is SM 1.1, BTW....
    >>>
    >>> DB

    >> close SM and disable avg. Restart SM. Same problems?
    >>
    >> Did you try the test profile?
    >>

    > No - not yet.
    >
    > It is late, just got home from work, am tired and going to bed.
    >
    > I'll try it tomorrow morning.
    >
    > DB

    Why not dialing first ?
    I hope that you did not put SM/Google into your windows startup.

    I was on dial-up before...
    I start my windows/pc (who do nothing at start).
    Then i dial-up - and wait for the connection.
    Afterward i work with SM...

+ Reply to Thread