Alternative to ActiveX wrapper around a DLL - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Alternative to ActiveX wrapper around a DLL - Mozilla ; The web-deployed enterprise application I'm working on has one page that allows a user to scan and upload a document. The page is written in HTML with some JavaScript that calls an embedded ActiveX control, an OCX developed with Visual ...

  1. Alternative to ActiveX wrapper around a DLL

    The web-deployed enterprise application I'm working on has one page
    that allows a user to scan and upload a document. The page is written
    in HTML with some JavaScript that calls an embedded ActiveX control,
    an OCX developed with Visual BASIC, that wraps around a DLL that
    itself is a wrapper for TWAIN. This all works fine, using Internet
    Explorer, for Users that put our domain into their trusted sites.

    I am trying to get this page to work with FireFox. Now, I know that
    "ActiveX is dangerous," and do not have any plans to put the ActiveX
    control onto the page, when served up to a user with FireFox; that is,
    no plans to go the "IE Tab" route. Instead, I'm looking to write an
    extension (or an add-on, or a plug-in?) to FireFox which would
    duplicate the VB code that call the TWAIN wrapper.

    My question: can you get there from here?

    I'm looking at NPAPI and XPConnect; the latter _sounds_ promising as
    it "...enables simple interoperation between XPCOM and JavaScript..."
    This is very close to what my existing OCX control does, as it enables
    simple interoperation between COM and JavaScript.

    Am I on the right track?

  2. Re: Alternative to ActiveX wrapper around a DLL

    JoNiTiVo@gmail.com keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 4:04 PM :
    > The web-deployed enterprise application I'm working on has one page
    > that allows a user to scan and upload a document. The page is written
    > in HTML with some JavaScript that calls an embedded ActiveX control,
    > an OCX developed with Visual BASIC, that wraps around a DLL that
    > itself is a wrapper for TWAIN. This all works fine, using Internet
    > Explorer, for Users that put our domain into their trusted sites.
    >
    > I am trying to get this page to work with FireFox. Now, I know that
    > "ActiveX is dangerous," and do not have any plans to put the ActiveX
    > control onto the page, when served up to a user with FireFox; that is,
    > no plans to go the "IE Tab" route. Instead, I'm looking to write an
    > extension (or an add-on, or a plug-in?) to FireFox which would
    > duplicate the VB code that call the TWAIN wrapper.
    >
    > My question: can you get there from here?
    >
    > I'm looking at NPAPI and XPConnect; the latter _sounds_ promising as
    > it "...enables simple interoperation between XPCOM and JavaScript..."
    > This is very close to what my existing OCX control does, as it enables
    > simple interoperation between COM and JavaScript.
    >
    > Am I on the right track?

    This is a User-2-User support group for Fx User configuration issues.

    Better choices would be mozilla.dev.apps.firefox or a Web Developmet group
    in the mozilla.dev class of groups.

    --
    Ron K.