can't contact snmp server - Mozilla

This is a discussion on can't contact snmp server - Mozilla ; This isn't a TB specific question, but it's email related so I'm hoping someone here will have the expertise to solve this. I've been running TB on my Vista machine for about a year now, and was on XP for ...

  1. can't contact snmp server

    This isn't a TB specific question, but it's email related so I'm
    hoping someone here will have the expertise to solve this.

    I've been running TB on my Vista machine for about a year now, and was
    on XP for quite some time before that. My ISP is Comcast. At home I
    run a Lynksis wireless router. No problems there.

    This week I traveled to another city where I have been staying with a
    friend who is on Cox. When fire up TB it downloads email just fine,
    but when I try to send, it times out. I tried to ping
    'mail.comcast.net', and the server name got converted to
    'mail.g.comcast.net' and timed out.

    Later I was on a public wifi network in the same city, and initiated
    an online chat with Comcast support. We went through the usual -
    check server names, check ports, etc. then tested sending an email.
    From that public net, it went just fine, but back at my friend's, we
    can't seem to reach the snmp server, though the pop server is no
    problem.

    This won't be an on-going problem as I will soon return home, but I'd
    like to learn more about what's going on here. I'm an IT professional
    (database admin) but networking, esp. email, is a bit outside my area
    of expertise.

  2. Re: can't contact snmp server

    EdStevens wrote:
    > This isn't a TB specific question, but it's email related so I'm
    > hoping someone here will have the expertise to solve this.
    >
    > I've been running TB on my Vista machine for about a year now, and was
    > on XP for quite some time before that. My ISP is Comcast. At home I
    > run a Lynksis wireless router. No problems there.
    >
    > This week I traveled to another city where I have been staying with a
    > friend who is on Cox. When fire up TB it downloads email just fine,
    > but when I try to send, it times out. I tried to ping
    > 'mail.comcast.net', and the server name got converted to
    > 'mail.g.comcast.net' and timed out.
    >
    > Later I was on a public wifi network in the same city, and initiated
    > an online chat with Comcast support. We went through the usual -
    > check server names, check ports, etc. then tested sending an email.
    > From that public net, it went just fine, but back at my friend's, we
    > can't seem to reach the snmp server, though the pop server is no
    > problem.
    >
    > This won't be an on-going problem as I will soon return home, but I'd
    > like to learn more about what's going on here. I'm an IT professional
    > (database admin) but networking, esp. email, is a bit outside my area
    > of expertise.

    Sounds like Comcast doesnt allow 'relaying' of email, it is a common
    anti-spam device.

    What that means is that since you are not on a comcast IP when you dial
    in (your friend is on Cox - and a public wifi is not Comcast) than any
    attempt to contact the Comcast mail server is seen as 'relaying' and not
    allowed.

    Some ISPs will allow 'relaying' for customers who request it (after they
    have been on so long), I know AT&T did this. You may wish to speak with
    them about it. It may be that they are blocking port 25 (mail relay)
    port from certain or all locations, again ask them about it.

    And yes, it only affects the smtp server, not the pop one.

    For example, I have two ISPs. One allows relaying, while the other does
    not. I can log in from the one that doesn't allow it and relay through
    the other, but I cant do it in reverse.

  3. Re: can't contact snmp server

    On Aug 13, 5:06 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    wrote:
    > EdStevens wrote:
    > > This isn't a TB specific question, but it's email related so I'm
    > > hoping someone here will have the expertise to solve this.

    > > I've been running TB on my Vista machine for about a year now, and was
    > > on XP for quite some time before that. My ISP is Comcast. At home I
    > > run a Lynksis wireless router. No problems there.

    > > This week I traveled to another city where I have been staying with a
    > > friend who is on Cox. When fire up TB it downloads email just fine,
    > > but when I try to send, it times out. I tried to ping
    > > 'mail.comcast.net', and the server name got converted to
    > > 'mail.g.comcast.net' and timed out.

    > > Later I was on a public wifi network in the same city, and initiated
    > > an online chat with Comcast support. We went through the usual -
    > > check server names, check ports, etc. then tested sending an email.
    > > From that public net, it went just fine, but back at my friend's, we
    > > can't seem to reach the snmp server, though the pop server is no
    > > problem.

    > > This won't be an on-going problem as I will soon return home, but I'd
    > > like to learn more about what's going on here. I'm an IT professional
    > > (database admin) but networking, esp. email, is a bit outside my area
    > > of expertise.

    > Sounds like Comcast doesnt allow 'relaying' of email, it is a common
    > anti-spam device.
    >
    > What that means is that since you are not on a comcast IP when you dial
    > in (your friend is on Cox - and a public wifi is not Comcast) than any
    > attempt to contact the Comcast mail server is seen as 'relaying' and not
    > allowed.
    >
    > Some ISPs will allow 'relaying' for customers who request it (after they
    > have been on so long), I know AT&T did this. You may wish to speak with
    > them about it. It may be that they are blocking port 25 (mail relay)
    > port from certain or all locations, again ask them about it.
    >
    > And yes, it only affects the smtp server, not the pop one.
    >
    > For example, I have two ISPs. One allows relaying, while the other does
    > not. I can log in from the one that doesn't allow it and relay through
    > the other, but I cant do it in reverse.

    OK, that makes sense. fWIW, I changed the smtp server port from 25
    to 587, and now the mail is going through. I'll see if I have to
    change it back to 25 when I return home.

+ Reply to Thread