Default browser - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Default browser - Mozilla ; I am running SM and FF side by side to compare them. Both claim to be my default browser, but in reality if I start a link from somewhere outside SM, it always opens in FF. Why, and how can ...

  1. Default browser

    I am running SM and FF side by side to compare them.
    Both claim to be my default browser, but in reality if I start a link from
    somewhere outside SM, it always opens in FF.
    Why, and how can I change this?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  2. Re: Default browser

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:52:13 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I am running SM and FF side by side to compare them.
    >> Both claim to be my default browser, but in reality if I start a link from
    >> somewhere outside SM, it always opens in FF.
    >> Why, and how can I change this?

    > what OS are you using?

    WindowsXP SP3
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  3. Re: Default browser

    Jim S wrote:
    > I am running SM and FF side by side to compare them.
    > Both claim to be my default browser, but in reality if I start a link from
    > somewhere outside SM, it always opens in FF.
    > Why, and how can I change this?

    what OS are you using?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Default browser

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:52:13 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> I am running SM and FF side by side to compare them.
    >>> Both claim to be my default browser, but in reality if I start a link from
    >>> somewhere outside SM, it always opens in FF.
    >>> Why, and how can I change this?

    >> what OS are you using?

    > WindowsXP SP3

    open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, the the
    programs tab, and near the bottom is a box for making
    IE the default browser. Check it. Close IE, reopen
    it, close it, then open SM. SM will now ask if you
    want to make it the default.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Default browser

    On 08/12/08 13:59, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> what OS are you using?

    >> WindowsXP SP3

    > open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, the the
    > programs tab, and near the bottom is a box for making
    > IE the default browser. Check it. Close IE, reopen
    > it, close it, then open SM. SM will now ask if you
    > want to make it the default.

    Wow. Can't you just use the SM browser and go to
    Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator, then click on the
    "Set Default Browser" button?

  6. Re: Default browser

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:01:29 -0700, Mark Hansen wrote:

    > On 08/12/08 13:59, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> WindowsXP SP3

    >> open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, the the
    >> programs tab, and near the bottom is a box for making
    >> IE the default browser. Check it. Close IE, reopen
    >> it, close it, then open SM. SM will now ask if you
    >> want to make it the default.
    >>

    > Wow. Can't you just use the SM browser and go to
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator, then click on the
    > "Set Default Browser" button?

    No. It said it WAS the default browser.
    However Peter's solution worked.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  7. Re: Default browser

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 08/12/08 13:59, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> WindowsXP SP3

    >> open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, the the
    >> programs tab, and near the bottom is a box for making
    >> IE the default browser. Check it. Close IE, reopen
    >> it, close it, then open SM. SM will now ask if you
    >> want to make it the default.
    >>

    > Wow. Can't you just use the SM browser and go to
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator, then click on the
    > "Set Default Browser" button?

    the OP did say that both SM and FF are set as default.
    To me, that sounds like that button has been pushed,
    and its grayed out. Thats why I suggested he make
    another program as the default, then make SM the default.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Default browser

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 08/12/08 13:59, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> WindowsXP SP3

    >> open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, the the
    >> programs tab, and near the bottom is a box for making
    >> IE the default browser. Check it. Close IE, reopen
    >> it, close it, then open SM. SM will now ask if you
    >> want to make it the default.
    >>

    > Wow. Can't you just use the SM browser and go to
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator, then click on the
    > "Set Default Browser" button?

    You have to remember windows goes by its own rules.

    Now on the mac if you choose SM as default within SM the Mac would honor
    it.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11