add-ons for firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on add-ons for firefox - Mozilla ; * s|b wrote, On 8/13/2008 11:39: > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:42:06 -0400, JM wrote: > >> I have these add-ons installed: > > And I have these: > > Adblock Filterset.G Updater > Adblock Plus > Adblock Plus: ...

  1. Re: add-ons for firefox

    * s|b wrote, On 8/13/2008 11:39:
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:42:06 -0400, JM wrote:
    >
    >> I have these add-ons installed:

    > And I have these:
    >
    > Adblock Filterset.G Updater
    > Adblock Plus
    > Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper
    > BBCode
    > Flashgot
    > Live IP Address
    > Noscript
    > Woordenboek Nederlands

    The author of Adblock Plus does not recommend Filterset G. Instead
    recommends his own 3 at

    Look at easy list, easy elements & tracking filter.

    http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project#filterset.g

    Miles

  2. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Miles keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 4:47 PM :
    > * Ron K. wrote, On 8/12/2008 16:27:
    >> JM keyboarded, On 8/12/2008 5:44 PM :

    >>> I just downloaded and installed MR Tech Toolkit. I love it. I can't
    >>> think of running Firefox without it now. I especially liked the
    >>> feature that allows you to disable the delay before installing and
    >>> extension. Thanks a lot.

    >> This is an edited list containing differences from your list and the
    >> ones you dropped.
    >>

    >> Generated: Tue Aug 12 2008 19:17:10 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
    >> User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US;
    >> rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16
    >>
    >> Enabled Extensions:
    >>
    >> - Menu Editor 1.2.6 - Customize application menus
    >>
    >> From this list the Exit button is a must. Nice to have are Menu
    >> Editor (Fx 1.5 & 2 only) and MIME Edit. Reuse Home Page reduces
    >> existence of empty tabs. Inspector Widget is useful if your doing user
    >> chrome mods.
    >>

    > Ron, Menu Editor 1.2.6 works for 3.01, but will not yet do bookmarks &
    > history -- and I thought it was needed for bookmarks the other day, but
    > found duplicate items could be deleted.
    > Miles

    My experience indicates the Menu Editor add-on is not working for Tb. It
    looks like someone other than the original author is interested in the
    extension. I am more interested in it's use for Tb than Fx, since I have
    more extensions that get appended to the Tools menu of Tb than for Fx. It
    is nice to hear that this one will work if and when I decide to install an
    Fx3 version.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: add-ons for firefox

    * JM wrote, On 8/12/2008 13:42:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have these add-ons installed:
    >
    > Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
    > Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.5
    > ColorfulTabs 3.3
    > Console 0.3.9.1
    > DOM Inspector 2.0.0
    > Video DownloadHelper 3.2
    > Fission 1.0
    > Flagfox 3.2.8
    > Link Alert 0.8.2.1
    > Noscript 1.7.8 (disabled)
    > PDF Download 2.0.0.0
    > Show Go! 1.0.3
    > Undo Closed Tabs Button 3.0.3 (disabled)
    > United States English Dictionary 3.0.3
    > Web Developer 1.1.6
    >
    > I would just like to get everyone's personal recommendation on add-ons I
    > might want to install and if there are any that I have installed that
    > should be removed because they could cause a problem. I know Mozilla has
    > a list of recommended add-ons but I have heard some of them can cause
    > problems (like the Undo Closed Tabs Button add-on, that's why it is
    > disabled). Anyway, just tell me what you think.
    > Thanks,
    > JM

    A couple of extensions I'm using and haven't yet seen mention here:

    Show Parent Folder 1.3
    used with
    Go Parent Folder 1.5
    Those 2 are a necessity for bookmark search.

    Quick Preference Button 1.8.1
    Apparently does the same as Preferences Toolbar, but this is only 1 button.

    AI Roboform 6.9.90
    Invaluable for filling forms & passwords.

    Dictionary Search 3.0.0
    Once upon a time I thought I knew it all.

    Miles

  4. Re: add-ons for firefox

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > On 8/13/2008 3:14 AM India Time, _JM_ wrote:
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> JM keyboarded, On 8/12/2008 4:42 PM :

    >>> One I consider is must is MR Tech Toolkit, formarly named Local
    >>> Install. This is a Swiss Army Knife sort of toolkit for both Fx and
    >>> Tbird to ease cut & paste of extension lists, access to userChrome
    >>> and userContent style sheets, and many other features.
    >>>

    >> I just downloaded and installed MR Tech Toolkit. I love it. I can't
    >> think of running Firefox without it now. I especially liked the
    >> feature that allows you to disable the delay before installing and
    >> extension. Thanks a lot.

    > Hmm. I think ff/ TB should provide that thing in Tools-Option for us to
    > select how much delay we want there.

    Yeah, that would be nice.

  5. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > news:ubudnca7E6zZ0T7VnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >>> "JM" <1@2.3> wrote in message
    >>> news:bridna16xNmdgD_VnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> That's rather large.
    >>>

    >> Hummm. This laptop has 512meg, so 300k is less than o.06% of my ram..
    >> Yeah, MUCH too big. Grin.
    >> And, yes, I started with only 48k on my first computer, too.

    > Actually I have 2 G ram on my laptop, but I tend to run several apps
    > simultaneously.
    >
    > Jeff

    You should be glad. I've got 260 MB of RAM. With an antivirus program,
    and running firefox and thunderbird at the same time, things can be
    really slow.

  6. Re: add-ons for firefox

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "JM" <1@2.3>
    >> I have these add-ons installed:

    > Well I think "ColorfulTabs", "Show Go","Fission" are definitely
    > not on my wave length.
    >
    > You can use a userstyle.org to accomplish
    > "Link Alert" then you can turn it on/off. You don't need "PDF Download"
    > because you would be better looking at PDF files directly (not in the browser).

    Why? I find having PDF in a window to be quite convenient.

> [...]
    > the sidebar, allowing rapid navigation between sections keyconfig,
    > Rebind your keys. (means add/change/remove keyboard shortcuts)
    > Launchy, Open links and mailto's with external applications like
    > Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Outlook etc
    > Linky, Open/download/validate links and pictures in tabs or windows
    > Open Profile Folder, Open current profile folder from the "Tools" menu.
    > PermaTabs Mod, Create non-closable tabs that stick around between
    > sessions - modified for Fx3
    > QuickRestart, adds Ctrl+Alt+R and a "Restart Firefox" item to the "File" menu. **important**
    > Split Browser, Splits browser window as you like.
    > Stylish, Customize the look of websites and of the user interface, quickly
    > test changes you might make to userChrome.css
    >
    > These extensions would be demonstrated from my main profile
    > Adblock, Filters ads from web-pages
    > McAfee Site Advisor, enhances Google search results with safety/risk symbols and links
    > PageDiff , A simple page diff application. works with source code by line.
    > Customize Google, Enhance Google search results and remove
    > ads and spam from search results.
    > Menu Editor, Customize application menus: main context, tabs context,
    > other context menus, each of the menus, particularly the Tools menu,
    > (oldbar, there should be a style available again), URL bar uses Firefox 2
    > style results (at least it is small extension)
    > Mouse Zoom, Zoom with the mouse.
    > Image Zoom Adds zoom functionality for images
    >
    > and possibly
    > (Nightly Tester Tools), Useful tools for the nightly tester. Unfortunately casual
    > users may have to use this, if preferences fail to install old/reliable extensions.
    >
    > also use of keyword shortcuts, and bookmarklets.
    >
    > Listing of Extensions in my Main Profile (85 extensions enabled)
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#extensions
    >

    > Preferences settings: about:config True/False are Boolean, rest are strings
    > * browser.link.open_external, 3, Opens external links in a new tab
    > * browser.link.open_newwindow, 3 (default)
    > * browser.search.openintab , True, When performing a search from the
    > Search Bar, open the results in a new tab.
    > * browser.tabs.closeButtons, 3, Put close at right of tabs bar
    > * browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace, False, Existing tabs will be
    > preserved when loading a folder of bookmarks.
    >

    > Styles (userstyles.org) used with "Stylish" extension
    > * Keyword addition for Add/Change Bookmark (Fx3) | userstyles.org
    > * Tab Color Underscoring active/read/unread | userstyles.org, along with Tabs Bar Mimimal Size | userstyles.org
    > * Bookmarks Toolbar Blue/Folders, Red/Bookmarks
    > * Menu and SearchBar Minimal Height and it's companion Navigation/Location Bar Minimal Height
    >
    > and for the link symbols, and other interests you might want these styles
    > * Link Warning, or
    > * Link Warning (cusor hover) - various filetypes
    > * Red hand cursor for .pdf links
    >
    > Everything above is documented and linked on my webpages.

  7. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > news:ubudnca7E6zZ0T7VnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >>> "JM" <1@2.3> wrote in message
    >>> news:bridna16xNmdgD_VnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> That's rather large.
    >>>

    >> Hummm. This laptop has 512meg, so 300k is less than o.06% of my ram..
    >> Yeah, MUCH too big. Grin.
    >> And, yes, I started with only 48k on my first computer, too.

    > Actually I have 2 G ram on my laptop, but I tend to run several apps
    > simultaneously.
    >
    > Jeff

    Well, on my 512 meg machine, I have a file manager, text editor with
    1.3MB file open, and Mozilla TB with 3 windows open. I don't normally
    have FF open unless I am using it and seldom with anything else but the
    file manager, and text editor. I only have ram concerns if I need to
    open something big like GoogleEarth, or MS Streets and Trips.
    Unless you see paging, don't worry about how much ram you are using.

  8. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Miles wrote:
    > * s|b wrote, On 8/13/2008 11:39:
    >> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:42:06 -0400, JM wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have these add-ons installed:

    >> And I have these:
    >>
    >> Adblock Filterset.G Updater
    >> Adblock Plus
    >> Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper
    >> BBCode
    >> Flashgot
    >> Live IP Address
    >> Noscript
    >> Woordenboek Nederlands
    >>

    > The author of Adblock Plus does not recommend Filterset G. Instead
    > recommends his own 3 at

    > Look at easy list, easy elements & tracking filter.
    >
    > http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project#filterset.g
    >
    > Miles

    I switched, and have noticed no difference. At least it isn't worse.

  9. Re: add-ons for firefox

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:53:54 -0400
    JM <1@2.3> wrote:

    > Do you know why Mozilla put the three second delay in for the
    > installation of an extension?

  10. Re: add-ons for firefox

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:17:12 +0530
    V S Rawat wrote:

    > There should be some limit on the size of extension. How much so they
    > are good, still the developers would be then forced to reduce the
    > size of it or include only those minimum features which are really
    > useful.

    If you don't like the size of an extension, don't use it; there's no
    reason to have the Firefox developers prevent everyone from using it.

  11. Re: add-ons for firefox

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:29:59 -0400
    JM <1@2.3> wrote:

    > I tried the Live IP Address one. My Flagfox add-on also displays an
    > IP address. The IP addresses are different. Is there a difference
    > between them, or is one of the add-ons displaying the wrong ip
    > address?

    Live IP Address displays your IP.

    Flagfox displays the IP of the site you're connected to.

  12. Re: add-ons for firefox

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:57:43 -0400
    JM <1@2.3> wrote:

    > V S Rawat wrote:
    > > On 8/13/2008 3:14 AM India Time, _JM_ wrote:

    > >> I especially liked the feature that allows you to disable the
    > >> delay before installing and extension. Thanks a lot.

    > > Hmm. I think ff/ TB should provide that thing in Tools-Option for
    > > us to select how much delay we want there.

    > Yeah, that would be nice.

    It's just a pref, which you can get to via about:config, but there's
    no way they'll add UI for it. It's a very bad idea to turn it off or set
    it very low, IMO. I posted the link in another branch of the thread, but
    here's an explanation again.

  13. Re: add-ons for firefox

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "JM" <1@2.3>
    >> I have these add-ons installed:

    > Well I think "ColorfulTabs", "Show Go","Fission" are definitely
    > not on my wave length.
    > You can use a userstyle.org to accomplish
    > "Link Alert" then you can turn it on/off. You don't need "PDF
    > Download"
    > because you would be better looking at PDF files directly (not in the
    > browser).

    I like ColorfulTabs and Fission. They help add variety into the overall
    interface of the program. I especially like Fission, because my status
    bar can get crowded and its nice to move the loading meter to a
    different spot. I think it's a good idea to know what it is you are
    clicking on before you do - that's why I use link alert. PDF Download -
    well...I could probably get along without it. It just seemed nice when I
    first saw it and I haven't had a reason to stop using it...until maybe now.

> [...]
    > the Search Bar, open the results in a new tab.
    > * browser.tabs.closeButtons, 3, Put close at right of tabs bar
    > * browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace, False, Existing tabs will be
    > preserved when loading a folder of bookmarks.
    >
    > Styles (userstyles.org) used with "Stylish" extension
    > * Keyword addition for Add/Change Bookmark (Fx3) | userstyles.org
    > * Tab Color Underscoring active/read/unread | userstyles.org, along
    > with Tabs Bar Mimimal Size | userstyles.org
    > * Bookmarks Toolbar Blue/Folders, Red/Bookmarks
    > * Menu and SearchBar Minimal Height and it's companion
    > Navigation/Location Bar Minimal Height
    >
    > and for the link symbols, and other interests you might want these styles
    > * Link Warning, or
    > * Link Warning (cusor hover) - various filetypes
    > * Red hand cursor for .pdf links
    >
    > Everything above is documented and linked on my webpages.

    I just went to your firefox webpage. It is huge! You must have worked on
    putting all that together for a while. It is going to take a while for
    me to read it all.

  14. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Q wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:29:59 -0400
    > JM <1@2.3> wrote:
    >
    >> I tried the Live IP Address one. My Flagfox add-on also displays an
    >> IP address. The IP addresses are different. Is there a difference
    >> between them, or is one of the add-ons displaying the wrong ip
    >> address?

    > Live IP Address displays your IP.
    >
    > Flagfox displays the IP of the site you're connected to.

    Thanks, now I got it.

  15. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Q wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:57:43 -0400
    > JM <1@2.3> wrote:
    >
    >> V S Rawat wrote:

    >>> Hmm. I think ff/ TB should provide that thing in Tools-Option for
    >>> us to select how much delay we want there.

    >> Yeah, that would be nice.

    > It's just a pref, which you can get to via about:config, but there's
    > no way they'll add UI for it. It's a very bad idea to turn it off or set
    > it very low, IMO. I posted the link in another branch of the thread, but
    > here's an explanation again.

    What was the preference in about:config? I would like to raise the delay
    to five seconds.

  16. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Q keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 9:17 PM :
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:53:54 -0400
    > JM <1@2.3> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know why Mozilla put the three second delay in for the
    >> installation of an extension?

    I would never have guessed that a security hole was at the root of the
    delay being added. I have MR Tech Toolkit configured to kill the delay.

    --
    Ron K.

  17. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >> It is about 300KB.

    > That's rather large.

    You're joking right? 300kb is *nothing*. That is 1/300,000th of what
    even the most basic of computers have for memory these days (1gb).

    The size of an addon is not a factor in whether or not one should be used.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  18. Re: add-ons for firefox

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > Currently, it is becoming a tail wagging the dog - when the total size
    > of installed extensions becomes more than the basic ff size.

    So?

    I own a tractor that I paid $5000. The cost of all the implements
    together is well over $10,0000. The additional implements make the
    tractor more useful, so I can real work done.

    In fact, without the implements, the tractor is pretty much useless -
    good only for a (slow) joy ride in the pasture.

    So it is w/ FF. Granted, FF has some usefulness on it's own. But it is
    the use of addons that make is REALLY useful.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
    chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  19. Re: add-ons for firefox

    JM wrote:
    > You should be glad. I've got 260 MB of RAM. With an antivirus program,
    > and running firefox and thunderbird at the same time, things can be
    > really slow.

    You need more RAM. WinXP all by itself needs more than what you have.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
    chris@txbarnes.com Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  20. Re: add-ons for firefox

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >>> It is about 300KB.

    >> That's rather large.

    > You're joking right? 300kb is *nothing*. That is 1/300,000th of what
    > even the most basic of computers have for memory these days (1gb).
    >

    > The size of an addon is not a factor in whether or not one should be used.

    I think you need to recheck your math, but you are correct, in principle.

    Size does matter, but most of us have more than adequate ram.