bookmark not remembering placement - Mozilla

This is a discussion on bookmark not remembering placement - Mozilla ; This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox 2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked differently (and for me better). It used to be that during the same session if I ...

  1. bookmark not remembering placement

    This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox
    2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked
    differently (and for me better). It used to be that during the same
    session if I clicked the bookmark button up top it would open a long
    pulldown menu. There I have more folders. I slide to a folder that has
    100 entries. Obviously they don't all fit in the screen so I have to
    slide/scroll down to get to entry 90... which I clicked and went to
    the webpage. The next time that I clicked bookmarks and scrolled to
    the same folder it would open right there at entry 90 so i could
    quickly click on entry 91, and so on. I liked this feature. Now in
    Firefox 2.0.0.13 (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet) when I scroll to the
    folder it always opens right at the top at entry number 1. I have to
    scroll all the way down every time. Is there any way I can get this
    feature back?

    Thanks
    yks.

  2. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    yksmir wrote:
    > This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox
    > 2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked
    > differently (and for me better). It used to be that during the same
    > session if I clicked the bookmark button up top it would open a long
    > pulldown menu. There I have more folders. I slide to a folder that has
    > 100 entries. Obviously they don't all fit in the screen so I have to
    > slide/scroll down to get to entry 90... which I clicked and went to
    > the webpage. The next time that I clicked bookmarks and scrolled to
    > the same folder it would open right there at entry 90 so i could
    > quickly click on entry 91, and so on. I liked this feature. Now in
    > Firefox 2.0.0.13 (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet) when I scroll to the
    > folder it always opens right at the top at entry number 1. I have to
    > scroll all the way down every time. Is there any way I can get this
    > feature back?
    >
    > Thanks
    > yks.

    If you use Firefox 3, you can make your folders auto sort in 'use
    count'.. so they're listed most-used to least, or even date.

  3. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    "yksmir" ...
    > This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox
    > 2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked
    > differently Now in
    > Firefox 2.0.0.13 (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet) when I scroll to the
    > folder it always opens right at the top at entry number 1. I have to
    > scroll all the way down every time. Is there any way I can get this
    > feature back?

    Yes, someone complained about that, and it got changed, so update to
    2.0.0.16 or to 3.0.1 and will be as you want. I can see the difference
    quickly because my personal bookmarks toolbar shows folders, so if I click
    on a folder I instantly see from top or from where I was before. I think it
    always starts at top per session; otherwise it would be a real nuisance, but
    allows you to get to where you were recently (in session). I think 2.0.0.8 and
    2.0.0.16 are okay and anything in between, I'd stay away from, if I had to do it over again.
    I lost use of a lot of extensions about 20 (20%) during that period.

    You can can test with multiple versions of Firefox, each with it's own
    profile.

    Suggest you put real scrollbars on your bookmark menus, either with the style
    change through "Stylish" extension , or adding the code to your userChrome.css
    Scrollbar Bookmarks Menu | userstyles.org
    http://userstyles.org/styles/56

    --
    HTH,

  4. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    Also suggest install scrollbars for context menu by the same author as for 56
    http://userstyles.org/style/show/54

  5. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    yksmir wrote:
    > (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet)

    Drag & Drop bookmark adding is bad in FF3, much better in FF2.

    I did not use FF before FF2, I was content with Mozilla Suite back then.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  6. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    On 12.08.2008 19:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Lueck
    to generate the following:? :
    > yksmir wrote:
    >
    >> (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet)
    >>

    > Drag & Drop bookmark adding is bad in FF3, much better in FF2.
    >
    > I did not use FF before FF2, I was content with Mozilla Suite back then.

    I would advise you to use the Bookmarks Sidebar - it is *much easier* to
    move BM's around there. Toggle the sidebar on/off with the Bookmarks
    Icon in the toolbar.

    Also, make sure you do have main menu:
    Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks
    and there... menu:
    View>>Sort - check the Unsorted button, otherwise the moved BM's won't
    "stick" at where you put them (this applied to all other versions of FF
    as well)

    reg

  7. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 12:51:
    > On 12.08.2008 19:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Lueck
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> yksmir wrote:
    >>
    >>> (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet)
    >>>

    >> Drag & Drop bookmark adding is bad in FF3, much better in FF2.
    >>
    >> I did not use FF before FF2, I was content with Mozilla Suite back then.
    >>

    > I would advise you to use the Bookmarks Sidebar - it is *much easier* to
    > move BM's around there. Toggle the sidebar on/off with the Bookmarks
    > Icon in the toolbar.
    >
    > Also, make sure you do have main menu:
    > Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks
    > and there... menu:
    > View>>Sort - check the Unsorted button, otherwise the moved BM's won't
    > "stick" at where you put them (this applied to all other versions of FF
    > as well)
    >
    > reg

    If I had a 30" inch wide screen perhaps I wouldn't mind using the
    sidebar -- other than that, it's an utter waste of space.

  8. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    On 12.08.2008 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Miles to
    generate the following:? :
    > * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 12:51:
    >
    >> On 12.08.2008 19:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Lueck
    >> to generate the following:? :

    >>> Drag & Drop bookmark adding is bad in FF3, much better in FF2.
    >>>
    >>> I did not use FF before FF2, I was content with Mozilla Suite back then.
    >>>

    >> I would advise you to use the Bookmarks Sidebar - it is *much easier* to
    >> move BM's around there. Toggle the sidebar on/off with the Bookmarks
    >> Icon in the toolbar.
    >>
    >> Also, make sure you do have main menu:
    >> Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks
    >> and there... menu:
    >> View>>Sort - check the Unsorted button, otherwise the moved BM's won't
    >> "stick" at where you put them (this applied to all other versions of FF
    >> as well)
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > If I had a 30" inch wide screen perhaps I wouldn't mind using the
    > sidebar -- other than that, it's an utter waste of space.

    TOGGLE - TOGGLE - TOGGLE
    on-off-on-off

    reg

  9. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 13:00:
    > On 12.08.2008 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Miles to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 12:51:
    >>
    >>> On 12.08.2008 19:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Lueck
    >>> to generate the following:? :

    >>> I would advise you to use the Bookmarks Sidebar - it is *much easier* to
    >>> move BM's around there. Toggle the sidebar on/off with the Bookmarks
    >>> Icon in the toolbar.
    >>>
    >>> Also, make sure you do have main menu:
    >>> Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks
    >>> and there... menu:
    >>> View>>Sort - check the Unsorted button, otherwise the moved BM's won't
    >>> "stick" at where you put them (this applied to all other versions of FF
    >>> as well)
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> If I had a 30" inch wide screen perhaps I wouldn't mind using the
    >> sidebar -- other than that, it's an utter waste of space.
    >>

    > TOGGLE - TOGGLE - TOGGLE
    > on-off-on-off
    >
    > reg

    And you still can't see exactly where to put a new BM since it only has
    the Name column.

  10. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    Miles wrote:
    > * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 12:51:
    >> On 12.08.2008 19:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael
    >> Lueck to generate the following:? :

    >>> Drag & Drop bookmark adding is bad in FF3, much better in FF2.
    >>>
    >>> I did not use FF before FF2, I was content with Mozilla Suite back then.
    >>>

    >> I would advise you to use the Bookmarks Sidebar - it is *much easier*
    >> to move BM's around there. Toggle the sidebar on/off with the
    >> Bookmarks Icon in the toolbar.
    >>
    >> Also, make sure you do have main menu:
    >> Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks
    >> and there... menu:
    >> View>>Sort - check the Unsorted button, otherwise the moved BM's won't
    >> "stick" at where you put them (this applied to all other versions of
    >> FF as well)
    >>
    >> reg

    > If I had a 30" inch wide screen perhaps I wouldn't mind using the
    > sidebar -- other than that, it's an utter waste of space.

    It is a feature I probably would use even then, but some users seem not
    to mind using screen space that way. I love options!

  11. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    On 12.08.2008 22:34, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Miles to
    generate the following:? :
    > * squaredancer wrote, On 8/12/2008 13:00:
    >
    >> On 12.08.2008 21:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Miles to
    >> generate the following:? :

    >>> If I had a 30" inch wide screen perhaps I wouldn't mind using the
    >>> sidebar -- other than that, it's an utter waste of space.
    >>>

    >> TOGGLE - TOGGLE - TOGGLE
    >> on-off-on-off
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > And you still can't see exactly where to put a new BM since it only has
    > the Name column.

    can't understand what you're getting at, Miles... the "Name Column"
    CONTAINS your bookmarks - that IS where you put them... and you can drag
    them to ANY LOCATION in that column!
    What else do you have when using the BM-Toolbar, other than the names??

    reg

  12. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    On Aug 12, 5:23 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "yksmir" ...
    >
    > > This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox
    > > 2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked
    > > differently Now in
    > > Firefox 2.0.0.13 (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet) when I scroll to the
    > > folder it always opens right at the top at entry number 1. I have to
    > > scroll all the way down every time. Is there any way I can get this
    > > feature back?

    > Yes, someone complained about that, and it got changed, so update to
    > 2.0.0.16 or to 3.0.1 and will be as you want. I can see the difference
    > quickly because my personal bookmarks toolbar shows folders, so if I click
    > on a folder I instantly see from top or from where I was before. I think it
    > always starts at top per session; otherwise it would be a real nuisance, but
    > allows you to get to where you were recently (in session). I think 2.0.0.8 and
    > 2.0.0.16 are okay

    I just tried 2.0.0.16 and it has the same problem, darn it. I'll have
    to try others.
    yks

  13. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    "yksmir" wrote in message news:e277d539-0647-4ed4-9bdc-edd8c5b9c9c7@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > On Aug 12, 5:23 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    >> "yksmir" ...
    >>
    >> > This is probably a strange query but it bugs me. I use Firefox
    >> > 2.0.0.13 right now but when I used 1.5 the bookmarks worked
    >> > differently Now in
    >> > Firefox 2.0.0.13 (I haven't gotten 3.0 yet) when I scroll to the
    >> > folder it always opens right at the top at entry number 1. I have to
    >> > scroll all the way down every time. Is there any way I can get this
    >> > feature back?

    >> Yes, someone complained about that, and it got changed, so update to
    >> 2.0.0.16 or to 3.0.1 and will be as you want. I can see the difference
    >> quickly because my personal bookmarks toolbar shows folders, so if I click
    >> on a folder I instantly see from top or from where I was before. I think it
    >> always starts at top per session; otherwise it would be a real nuisance, but
    >> allows you to get to where you were recently (in session). I think 2.0.0.8 and
    >> 2.0.0.16 are okay

    > I just tried 2.0.0.16 and it has the same problem, darn it. I'll have
    > to try others.
    > yks

    Worked for me in 2.0.0.16, I tested from large folders on my personal bookmarks toolbar.
    I didn't see anything obvious in configuration options, but default preference variables
    don't always show up. Try starting in Firefox Safe Mode which will exclude extensions,
    but will will use your non-extension specific preferences.

  14. Re: bookmark not remembering placement

    On Aug 17, 3:31 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "yksmir" wrote in messagenews:e277d539-0647-4ed4-9bdc-edd8c5b9c9c7@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > > On Aug 12, 5:23 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > >> "yksmir" ...

    > >> Yes, someone complained about that, and it got changed, so update to
    > >> 2.0.0.16 or to 3.0.1 and will be as you want. I can see the difference
    > >> quickly because my personal bookmarks toolbar shows folders, so if I click
    > >> on a folder I instantly see from top or from where I was before. I think it
    > >> always starts at top per session; otherwise it would be a real nuisance, but
    > >> allows you to get to where you were recently (in session). I think 2.0.0.8 and
    > >> 2.0.0.16 are okay

    > > I just tried 2.0.0.16 and it has the same problem, darn it. I'll have
    > > to try others.
    > > yks

    > Worked for me in 2.0.0.16, I tested from large folders on my personal bookmarks toolbar.
    > I didn't see anything obvious in configuration options, but default preference variables
    > don't always show up. Try starting in Firefox Safe Mode which will exclude extensions,
    > but will will use your non-extension specific preferences.

    I just tried it in safe mode and it still won't work. This is from the
    bookmarks pulldown menu in the navigation toolbar. It used to work but
    I guess they have removed that feature.

+ Reply to Thread