A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3 - Mozilla ; On my personal homepage - http://cycletourist.com - I have always preferred using the Lucida Sans italic font. I know not all viewers have this font, but *I* like it this way. I specify it in css as: font-family: "Lucida Sans", ...

  1. A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    On my personal homepage - http://cycletourist.com - I have always
    preferred using the Lucida Sans italic font. I know not all viewers
    have this font, but *I* like it this way.

    I specify it in css as:
    font-family: "Lucida Sans", sans-serif;
    font-style: italic;

    That way it will default to the viewers default sans-serif font,
    italicized. My home page has been like this for many years and it
    always looked the same ..... until Firefox 3. For some strange reason
    the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I have tried adding
    font-weight: normal, to no avail).

    If you have the Lucida Sans font installed on your machine you can see
    how it *should* (and always used to) render by using IE - or just take
    a look here: http://cycletourist.com/temp

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > On my personal homepage - http://cycletourist.com - I have always
    > preferred using the Lucida Sans italic font. I know not all viewers
    > have this font, but *I* like it this way.
    >
    > I specify it in css as:
    > font-family: "Lucida Sans", sans-serif;
    > font-style: italic;
    >
    > That way it will default to the viewers default sans-serif font,
    > italicized. My home page has been like this for many years and it
    > always looked the same ..... until Firefox 3. For some strange reason
    > the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I have tried adding
    > font-weight: normal, to no avail).
    >
    > If you have the Lucida Sans font installed on your machine you can see
    > how it *should* (and always used to) render by using IE - or just take
    > a look here: http://cycletourist.com/temp

    The font appears correctly on my PC. Italicised but not bold.
    I do have Lucida Sans Unicode installed but that and console are the
    only 2 Lucida fonts I have.

    Vista32Ult/SP1/Fox 3.0.1

    Personally I prefer the bitstream vera fonts that come with open office
    but each to their own.

  3. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > For some strange reason the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I
    > have tried adding font-weight: normal, to no avail).

    It appears correctly for me too. I also have "Lucida Sans Italic" installed.

    It's beginning to look as though you have something in your FF3 which is
    overriding your preference (this would explain why specifying the normal
    font-weight was ineffective). I have no idea where to look, though.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

  4. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    No problem for me friend.
    I used FF3 and IE tab to double verify the display
    Have you Ctrl-F5 when viewing in FF3?
    Or did you changed the fonts settings in FF3?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > On my personal homepage - http://cycletourist.com - I have always
    > preferred using the Lucida Sans italic font. I know not all viewers
    > have this font, but *I* like it this way.
    >
    > I specify it in css as:
    > font-family: "Lucida Sans", sans-serif;
    > font-style: italic;
    >
    > That way it will default to the viewers default sans-serif font,
    > italicized. My home page has been like this for many years and it
    > always looked the same ..... until Firefox 3. For some strange reason
    > the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I have tried adding
    > font-weight: normal, to no avail).
    >
    > If you have the Lucida Sans font installed on your machine you can see
    > how it *should* (and always used to) render by using IE - or just take
    > a look here: http://cycletourist.com/temp

  5. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Louis Li wrote:
    > No problem for me friend.
    > I used FF3 and IE tab to double verify the display
    > Have you Ctrl-F5 when viewing in FF3?

    I just did ... no effect. Is that the same as shift-reload?

    > Or did you changed the fonts settings in FF3?

    Not sure what you mean, but Default is Arial 16 .... and "Allow pages to
    choose their own fonts, instead of my selections" is and has always been
    enabled (checked).

    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> On my personal homepage - http://cycletourist.com - I have always
    >> preferred using the Lucida Sans italic font. I know not all viewers
    >> have this font, but *I* like it this way.
    >>
    >> I specify it in css as:
    >> font-family: "Lucida Sans", sans-serif;
    >> font-style: italic;
    >>
    >> That way it will default to the viewers default sans-serif font,
    >> italicized. My home page has been like this for many years and it
    >> always looked the same ..... until Firefox 3. For some strange reason
    >> the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I have tried adding
    >> font-weight: normal, to no avail).
    >>
    >> If you have the Lucida Sans font installed on your machine you can see
    >> how it *should* (and always used to) render by using IE - or just take
    >> a look here: http://cycletourist.com/temp

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  6. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Swifty wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> For some strange reason the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I
    >> have tried adding font-weight: normal, to no avail).
    >>

    > It appears correctly for me too. I also have "Lucida Sans Italic" installed.
    >
    > It's beginning to look as though you have something in your FF3 which is
    > overriding your preference (this would explain why specifying the normal
    > font-weight was ineffective). I have no idea where to look, though.

    Well now this is getting downright strange. I have not overridden any
    font appearances (?) or styles in Firefox, yet this font appears bold
    only in Firefox (not in IE or Opera).

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  7. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 2:21 AM :
    > Swifty wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> For some strange reason the font is now bold, too - in Firefox 3 (I
    >>> have tried adding font-weight: normal, to no avail).
    >>>

    >> It appears correctly for me too. I also have "Lucida Sans Italic"
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> It's beginning to look as though you have something in your FF3 which
    >> is overriding your preference (this would explain why specifying the
    >> normal font-weight was ineffective). I have no idea where to look,
    >> though.
    >>

    > Well now this is getting downright strange. I have not overridden any
    > font appearances (?) or styles in Firefox, yet this font appears bold
    > only in Firefox (not in IE or Opera).

    Check your C:\windows\fonts directory to verify that all 4 members of the
    font family are correctly installed. If so, try deleting the font cache so
    Windows will rebuild it. The cache could be corrupt and feeding the bold
    variant for both normal and bold display requirements.

    --
    Ron K.

  8. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 2:21 AM :
    >
    >> Swifty wrote:

    >>> It appears correctly for me too. I also have "Lucida Sans Italic"
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> It's beginning to look as though you have something in your FF3 which
    >>> is overriding your preference (this would explain why specifying the
    >>> normal font-weight was ineffective). I have no idea where to look,
    >>> though.
    >>>

    >> Well now this is getting downright strange. I have not overridden any
    >> font appearances (?) or styles in Firefox, yet this font appears bold
    >> only in Firefox (not in IE or Opera).
    >>

    > Check your C:\windows\fonts directory to verify that all 4 members of the
    > font family are correctly installed. If so, try deleting the font cache so
    > Windows will rebuild it. The cache could be corrupt and feeding the bold
    > variant for both normal and bold display requirements.

    Ok .... ... upon further investigation I discovered that I had an
    "anomalous" version of the lucida sans italic font installed. For some
    reason FF3 was using it but none of my other browsers were (hence my
    confusion). I deleted it and now the font displays normally.

    Thanks to all for helping me pin this down.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  9. Re: A Font rendering is incorrect in FF3

    Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 3:42 PM :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Chuck Anderson keyboarded, On 8/13/2008 2:21 AM :

    >>> Well now this is getting downright strange. I have not overridden
    >>> any font appearances (?) or styles in Firefox, yet this font appears
    >>> bold only in Firefox (not in IE or Opera).
    >>>

    >> Check your C:\windows\fonts directory to verify that all 4 members of
    >> the font family are correctly installed. If so, try deleting the font
    >> cache so Windows will rebuild it. The cache could be corrupt and
    >> feeding the bold variant for both normal and bold display requirements.
    >>

    > Ok .... ... upon further investigation I discovered that I had an
    > "anomalous" version of the lucida sans italic font installed. For some
    > reason FF3 was using it but none of my other browsers were (hence my
    > confusion). I deleted it and now the font displays normally.
    >
    > Thanks to all for helping me pin this down.

    Interesting that the root cause was an oddball Windows Fonts anomaly. I
    recently read a thread in Usenets' alt.binaries.fonts group discussing a
    related fonts display issue where cache corruption was given as a possible
    cause.

    --
    Ron K.