FF for USB Thumb Drive? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF for USB Thumb Drive? - Mozilla ; I am looking for a web browser to be installed on and used from my USB thumb drive. It will be used on other peoples computers and I do not want ANYTHING left on their hard drives. No temp files, ...

  1. FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    I am looking for a web browser to be installed on and used from my USB thumb
    drive. It will be used on other peoples computers and I do not want
    ANYTHING left on their hard drives. No temp files, no downloads etc. Does
    FF offer a version that will do this? Any other suggestions if not?
    --
    Thanks in advance... Bob

  2. Re: FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > I am looking for a web browser to be installed on and used from my USB
    > thumb drive. It will be used on other peoples computers and I do not
    > want ANYTHING left on their hard drives. No temp files, no downloads
    > etc. Does FF offer a version that will do this? Any other suggestions
    > if not?

    Have a look here....

    http://portableapps.com/

    cheers

    Kol

  3. Re: FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    Raskolnikoff wrote:
    > Bob Newman wrote:
    >> I am looking for a web browser to be installed on and used from my USB
    >> thumb drive. It will be used on other peoples computers and I do not
    >> want ANYTHING left on their hard drives. No temp files, no downloads
    >> etc. Does FF offer a version that will do this? Any other
    >> suggestions if not?

    > Have a look here....
    >
    > http://portableapps.com/
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Kol

    I second that recommendation. I am as we speak working on a laptop that
    I am NOT an administrator on. Totally locked down, I can't even install
    printer drivers, nothing that tries to write anything to the registry.
    Firefox and Thunderbird work well on thumb drive. My email is 100% on a
    thumb drive (backed up reqularly of course), because I am on several
    computers in a given week).

    Portableapps has an entire suite that installs on a thubdrive with a
    menu (FF, TB, OpenOffice, Antivirus, FTP program, Image editor, and more).

    Steve

  4. Re: FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    > Portableapps has an entire suite that installs on a thumbdrive with a
    > menu (FF, TB, OpenOffice, Antivirus, FTP program, Image editor, and more).

    This is something I've thought of - but I have a concern/question:

    * How is performance? Thumbdrives aren't the fastest devices in the world.

    * Does this mean I don't have to install anything on each individual
    computer? IF so, how does that work - after all, virtually every
    program has it's own set of .dll's, etc that get put all over the place.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  5. Re: FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    Steve wrote:
    > Raskolnikoff wrote:
    > > Bob Newman wrote:
    > >> I am looking for a web browser to be installed on and used from my USB
    > >> thumb drive. It will be used on other peoples computers and I do not
    > >> want ANYTHING left on their hard drives. No temp files, no downloads
    > >> etc. Does FF offer a version that will do this? Any other
    > >> suggestions if not?

    > > Have a look here....
    > >
    > > http://portableapps.com/
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    > > Kol

    > I second that recommendation. I am as we speak working on a laptop that
    > I am NOT an administrator on. Totally locked down, I can't even install
    > printer drivers, nothing that tries to write anything to the registry.
    > Firefox and Thunderbird work well on thumb drive. My email is 100% on a
    > thumb drive (backed up reqularly of course), because I am on several
    > computers in a given week).
    >
    > Portableapps has an entire suite that installs on a thubdrive with a
    > menu (FF, TB, OpenOffice, Antivirus, FTP program, Image editor, and more).
    >

    > Steve

    Just installed Portableapps on my thumb drive. Wow! What a great set of
    programs that I can take wherever I go.
    I set up a separate folder on the thumb drive where I can save my
    emails, documents, etc. When I get home I can copy them back to my home
    computer.

    Question -- I use both FF and TB. I would like to copy both my bookmarks
    and address book to the thumb drive. Where are these located on my
    computer so they can be copied to the portable drive?

    Also, my home computer uses Comcast as my ISP. If I am using the thumb
    drive on a computer which uses a different ISP, will the connection
    still work even though the settings on the thumb drive are for Comcast?

  6. Re: FF for USB Thumb Drive?

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    >> Portableapps has an entire suite that installs on a thumbdrive with a
    >> menu (FF, TB, OpenOffice, Antivirus, FTP program, Image editor, and
    >> more).

    > This is something I've thought of - but I have a concern/question:
    >
    > * How is performance? Thumbdrives aren't the fastest devices in the world.
    >
    > * Does this mean I don't have to install anything on each individual
    > computer? IF so, how does that work - after all, virtually every
    > program has it's own set of .dll's, etc that get put all over the place.

    No, the performance isn't up to HD standards. Far from it. But it does work
    and in a pinch that may make a life or death difference. I have a load (20,
    I just counted them) of PortableApps.com programs on a pair of 8gB thumb
    drives which also contain daily backups of things like TB profiles,
    newly-updated documents, etc. One of them is perpetually in my pocket and
    the other is in a secure location elsewhere. If you intend to run any apps
    from an thumb drive then it would pay to get the fastest one you can find
    just to preserve your sanity.

    Oh, in answer to your second question, the applications are recompiled so
    that they keep all of their "stuff" locally and don't depend on the system
    registry. Since all necessary data and support files are kept on the drive
    you can simply pop it into any computer running a compatible operating
    system, a menu shows up in your system tray, and clicking on it opens the
    PortableApps menu and you can select what you want to do. A great idea --
    wish I had thought of it.

    John McGaw
    http://johnmcgaw.com

+ Reply to Thread