Separate Client and Data - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Separate Client and Data - Mozilla ; I and all my clients are avid Eudora users. The Penelope project seems relatively slow in progressing. We often separate the client, installed on the local drive and the data (mailboxes and attachments) to another partition or mapped drive (Server) ...

  1. Separate Client and Data

    I and all my clients are avid Eudora users. The Penelope project
    seems relatively slow in progressing.

    We often separate the client, installed on the local drive and the
    data (mailboxes and attachments) to
    another partition or mapped drive (Server) so they can be backed up,
    and shared from different locations.

    Is this possible with Thunderbird...?

  2. Re: Separate Client and Data

    William Hammond wrote:
    > I and all my clients are avid Eudora users. The Penelope
    > project seems relatively slow in progressing.
    >
    > We often separate the client, installed on the local drive and
    > the data (mailboxes and attachments) to another partition or
    > mapped drive (Server) so they can be backed up, and shared
    > from different locations.
    >
    > Is this possible with Thunderbird...?

    You can definitely install the profile (the data) for Thunderbird
    in a custom location separate from the program, such as on a
    server. Everyone would share one profile. I don't believe,
    however, that more than one person could access the profile at a
    time.

    Perhaps this article will help:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_profiles_-_mail

    Ann W.

  3. Re: Separate Client and Data

    At 10:12 AM 7/17/2008, Annailis wrote:
    >William Hammond wrote:
    > > I and all my clients are avid Eudora users. The Penelope
    > > project seems relatively slow in progressing.
    > >
    > > We often separate the client, installed on the local drive and
    > > the data (mailboxes and attachments) to another partition or
    > > mapped drive (Server) so they can be backed up, and shared
    > > from different locations.
    > >
    > > Is this possible with Thunderbird...?

    >You can definitely install the profile (the data) for Thunderbird
    >in a custom location separate from the program, such as on a
    >server. Everyone would share one profile. I don't believe,
    >however, that more than one person could access the profile at a
    >time.
    >
    >Perhaps this article will help:
    >
    >http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_profiles_-_mail

    Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for and the
    article is "right on"....