cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1) - Mozilla ; Hi, I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks. So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to ...

  1. cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)

    Hi,
    I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

  2. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)[solved]

    Spiderman schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    > So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    > much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    > the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    > you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    > you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

    Just found it out.

  3. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)[solved]

    On 16.07.2008 07:22, Spiderman wrote:

    >> I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    >> So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    >> much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    >> the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    >> you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    >> you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

    > Just found it out.

    Thats wonderful .. but would you care to share the solution with the
    rest of the planet? Thanks

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org

  4. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)[solved]

    Jay Garcia schrieb:
    > On 16.07.2008 07:22, Spiderman wrote:

    If you go to the bookmarks manager you just had to select something on
    the left side. Than you see the dividing rules on the right side of the
    window. I was just looking for the dividing rules on the left side. But
    you still cannot delete the dividing rules directly from the bookmark menu.

  5. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)

    "Spiderman"
    > I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    > So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    > much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    > the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    > you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    > you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

    Dividing rules ? Means nothing to me.

    If you don't know what you are doing, please backup your entire profile before
    continuing. Those that know what they are doing take backups regularly so don't
    need to be reminded.

    The problem of massive duplicate entries was caused by importing bookmarks
    into your existing bookmarks. They will not organize themselves and remove duplicates
    by themselves they get added to the end so you end up with duplicate folders
    like at the top and half way down, and duplicates continue down from each half.
    This import may have been done in Fx2 and you never noticed or you may have
    done an import in Fx3 when you thought you had a problem.

    If you can choose a half to keep that will make it a lot easier, but first make
    sure that your personal toolbars have the content you want, because they are
    in a separate major directory in your organize bookmarks. You can drag
    bookmarks and folders around.

    To select a lot of items in bookmarks or in history within "Organize Bookmarks"
    your technique has to change a little bit, the following should work.
    To work with "Bookmarks Menu" , select bookmarks on the left side, the
    selections have to be done on the right side, where you can select multiple
    bookmarks by using Ctrl+click, or extend the last selection with Shift+click
    you can then use Del key to remove them, or you can drag them to be placed
    where you want them.

    Since a database is now used, you may not see all of the changes you made
    correctly everywhere until you close Firefox and restart Firefox.

    If your bookmarks are okay in Fx2 and you want to start over from what\
    you had there, then you untouched bookmarks should be in your bookmarks.html
    file in your profile, and Fx3 does not normally touch it again. Keep in mind that
    the structure in Organize bookmarks in Fx3 differs from Fx2.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks_not_saved

    --
    HTH,

  6. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:58:09 -0400
    "David McRitchie" wrote:

    > "Spiderman"
    > > I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my
    > > bookmarks. So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double
    > > entries. Now I have to much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I
    > > tried to get rid of it with the right mouse button. But it doesn't
    > > work. If I open the menu where you can manage your book marks you
    > > don't see there the dividing rules so you cannot delete it there.
    > > Very strange. Any ideas?

    > Dividing rules ? Means nothing to me.

    He means separators, I believe.

  7. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)

    Spiderman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    > So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    > much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    > the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    > you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    > you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

    I updated by downloading the .dmg file for that version from the FTP
    site. I installed it manually. I do not have problems with bookmarks
    or any other file in my profile doing the updates that way.

  8. Re: cannot delete to much dividing rules in bookmarks (FF 3.0.1)

    Spiderman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just updated to firefox 3.0.1. I had some problems with my bookmarks.
    > So I had to restore it. Than to delete the double entries. Now I have to
    > much dividing rules in the bookmark menu. I tried to get rid of it with
    > the right mouse button. But it doesn't work. If I open the menu where
    > you can manage your book marks you don't see there the dividing rules so
    > you cannot delete it there. Very strange. Any ideas?

    You can get rid of the extra dividers from the bookmarks organizer
    window. Select the dividers, right-click and choose Delete.

+ Reply to Thread