Exporting passwords to Firefox 3 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Exporting passwords to Firefox 3 - Mozilla ; Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from Seamonkey 1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform. It's too much work to retype everything. I did find an extension called "Password exporter" ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/2848 ...

  1. Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from Seamonkey
    1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform.
    It's too much work to retype everything.

    I did find an extension called "Password exporter"
    (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/2848) which says it's
    for Seamonkey. Unfortunately that seems to be a typo as I get the usual
    "install script not found" which is typical for trying to install
    Firefox plugins into Seamonkey.

  2. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    NoSp wrote:
    > Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from Seamonkey
    > 1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform.
    > It's too much work to retype everything.
    >
    > I did find an extension called "Password exporter"
    > (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/2848) which says it's
    > for Seamonkey. Unfortunately that seems to be a typo as I get the usual
    > "install script not found" which is typical for trying to install
    > Firefox plugins into Seamonkey.

    In SeaMonkey 2 which is based on FF 3 and I think it also works.

    If there is no Firefox 2 setup already Then when you first install FF3
    a window should come up asking whether you wish to import settings from
    Seamonkey 1.1.x
    Firefox 2.x

    However if you have a FF2 setup already caution it will glum on to it
    and forever change it so you can never go back to using it with FF2 I've
    already wen through the experience.

    My suggestion would be make a copy of your salted folder for the FF2
    Profile and put away for safe keeping. Then if you want to go back to 2
    create a New profiles that blank and fill it with the contents of what
    you backed up.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  3. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > NoSp wrote:
    >> Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from
    >> Seamonkey 1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform.
    >> It's too much work to retype everything.
    >>
    >> I did find an extension called "Password exporter"
    >> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/2848) which says
    >> it's for Seamonkey. Unfortunately that seems to be a typo as I get the
    >> usual "install script not found" which is typical for trying to
    >> install Firefox plugins into Seamonkey.

    > In SeaMonkey 2 which is based on FF 3 and I think it also works.
    >
    > If there is no Firefox 2 setup already Then when you first install FF3
    > a window should come up asking whether you wish to import settings from
    > Seamonkey 1.1.x
    > Firefox 2.x
    >
    > However if you have a FF2 setup already caution it will glum on to it
    > and forever change it so you can never go back to using it with FF2 I've
    > already wen through the experience.
    >
    > My suggestion would be make a copy of your salted folder for the FF2
    > Profile and put away for safe keeping. Then if you want to go back to 2
    > create a New profiles that blank and fill it with the contents of what
    > you backed up.

    Phil, what are you trying to tell him? He wants his SM
    1.1.10 passwords into his FF3.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    On 7/15/08 6:44 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> NoSp wrote:
    >>> Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from
    >>> Seamonkey 1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform.
    >>> It's too much work to retype everything.

    >> In SeaMonkey 2 which is based on FF 3 and I think it also works.
    >>
    >> If there is no Firefox 2 setup already Then when you first install
    >> FF3 a window should come up asking whether you wish to import settings
    >> from
    >> Seamonkey 1.1.x
    >> Firefox 2.x

    > Phil, what are you trying to tell him? He wants his SM 1.1.10 passwords
    > into his FF3.

    I was wondering about the same thing ;-)
    Anyway, I posted the same question to two groups (this one and
    "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") not being sure of which one was
    more active and why there are two seemingly similar groups.

    Peter's suggestion posted in the other group solved my problem.
    Here's a summary (for those of you who aren't bothered subscribing to
    the other group):

    1) Quit Firefox and Seamonkey if they're running
    2) Delete "signons3.txt" and "key3.db" (found inside the Firefox profile
    folder)
    3) Copy "########.s" and "key3.db" (from Seamonkey's profile folder)
    over to the Firefox profile folder
    4) rename (inside the Firefox profile folder) the newly copied
    "########.s" to "signons3.txt"
    5) Start Firefox

  5. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    NoSp wrote:
    > I was wondering about the same thing ;-)

    I think Phil forgot to take his meds yesterday.
    ha-ha-he-he-and-a-snicker-snicker :-) :-D

    > Anyway, I posted the same question to two groups (this one and
    > "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey") not being sure of which one was
    > more active and why there are two seemingly similar groups.

    the netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey group was the old
    developers newsgroups, which was available on any
    usenet server. When it started to get flooded with
    user support questions, they abandonded it. Then
    Mozilla came out with their own server. They kept the
    netscape newsgroups, but created some newer ones, such
    as the mozilla.support.seamonkey groups.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> NoSp wrote:
    >>> Is there a way I can transfer all my usernames/passwords from
    >>> Seamonkey 1.1.10 and into Firefox 3.0? I'm on the Mac OSX platform.
    >>> It's too much work to retype everything.
    >>>
    >>> I did find an extension called "Password exporter"
    >>> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/2848) which says
    >>> it's for Seamonkey. Unfortunately that seems to be a typo as I get
    >>> the usual "install script not found" which is typical for trying to
    >>> install Firefox plugins into Seamonkey.

    >> In SeaMonkey 2 which is based on FF 3 and I think it also works.
    >>
    >> If there is no Firefox 2 setup already Then when you first install
    >> FF3 a window should come up asking whether you wish to import settings
    >> from
    >> Seamonkey 1.1.x
    >> Firefox 2.x
    >>
    >> However if you have a FF2 setup already caution it will glum on to it
    >> and forever change it so you can never go back to using it with FF2
    >> I've already wen through the experience.
    >>
    >> My suggestion would be make a copy of your salted folder for the FF2
    >> Profile and put away for safe keeping. Then if you want to go back to
    >> 2 create a New profiles that blank and fill it with the contents of
    >> what you backed up.
    >>

    > Phil, what are you trying to tell him? He wants his SM 1.1.10 passwords
    > into his FF3.

    Yep was try to explain about FF3 taking over FF2 settings. If you
    have already FF2 and set up it will simple use your FF2 settings.

    I told him to preserve his old 2 preferences before opening FF3 or they
    will be forever changed.

    I also said That if you remove all traces of of your FF2 settings it may
    have to resort to either creating new, or importing from SM 1.1X - like
    SM2 does at first startup.

    What's so complicated? I gave him the possible ways of having everything
    imported.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  7. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >>> In SeaMonkey 2 which is based on FF 3 and I think it also works.
    >>>
    >>> If there is no Firefox 2 setup already Then when you first install
    >>> FF3 a window should come up asking whether you wish to import
    >>> settings from
    >>> Seamonkey 1.1.x
    >>> Firefox 2.x
    >>>
    >>> However if you have a FF2 setup already caution it will glum on to it
    >>> and forever change it so you can never go back to using it with FF2
    >>> I've already wen through the experience.
    >>>
    >>> My suggestion would be make a copy of your salted folder for the FF2
    >>> Profile and put away for safe keeping. Then if you want to go back to
    >>> 2 create a New profiles that blank and fill it with the contents of
    >>> what you backed up.
    >>>

    >> Phil, what are you trying to tell him? He wants his SM 1.1.10
    >> passwords into his FF3.
    >>

    > Yep was try to explain about FF3 taking over FF2 settings. If you have
    > already FF2 and set up it will simple use your FF2 settings.
    >
    > I told him to preserve his old 2 preferences before opening FF3 or they
    > will be forever changed.
    >
    > I also said That if you remove all traces of of your FF2 settings it may
    > have to resort to either creating new, or importing from SM 1.1X - like
    > SM2 does at first startup.
    >
    > What's so complicated? I gave him the possible ways of having everything
    > imported.

    but it had nothing to do with what the OP wanted. He
    wanted to know how to get SM passwords to work in FF3.
    In other words: how to convert SM passwords to FF3
    passwords. Nothing more, and nothing less. I don't
    know what you were talking about.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Phil, what are you trying to tell him? He wants his SM 1.1.10
    >>> passwords into his FF3.
    >>>

    >> Yep was try to explain about FF3 taking over FF2 settings. If you
    >> have already FF2 and set up it will simple use your FF2 settings.
    >>
    >> I told him to preserve his old 2 preferences before opening FF3 or
    >> they will be forever changed.
    >>
    >> I also said That if you remove all traces of of your FF2 settings it
    >> may have to resort to either creating new, or importing from SM 1.1X
    >> - like SM2 does at first startup.
    >>
    >> What's so complicated? I gave him the possible ways of having
    >> everything imported.
    >>

    > but it had nothing to do with what the OP wanted. He wanted to know how
    > to get SM passwords to work in FF3. In other words: how to convert SM
    > passwords to FF3 passwords. Nothing more, and nothing less. I don't
    > know what you were talking about.

    OK. If it was off the mark. I guess it was I was thinking he want to
    export everything.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  9. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    I installed FF3 over FF2 in XP. Now, I can't install add-ons - it gives
    me an error message that I can't remember right now whenever I try. I
    don't know if I have my passwords, as I'm afraid to use it without
    Flashblock, et al.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  10. Re: Exporting passwords to Firefox 3

    nobodyhere@min.net wrote:
    > I installed FF3 over FF2 in XP. Now, I can't install add-ons - it gives
    > me an error message that I can't remember right now whenever I try. I
    > don't know if I have my passwords, as I'm afraid to use it without
    > Flashblock, et al.
    >

    > Alan

    this is a support group for SeaMonkey. You should
    really be asking in the Firefox support group.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread