Accessing Secnews - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Accessing Secnews - Mozilla ; Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old secnews software. Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru): This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 184

  1. Accessing Secnews

    Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    secnews software.

    Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):

    This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.

    The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    2008 to Jun 29, 2010.

    You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    port 563:

    https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der

    Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.

    When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    error as follows:

    Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.

    Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:

    1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  2. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    > secnews software.
    >
    > Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >
    > This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    > secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >
    > The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    > news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    > 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >
    > You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    > (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    > port 563:
    >
    > https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    > https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >
    > Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    > "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    > option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.
    >
    > When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    > error as follows:
    >
    > Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    > because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >
    > Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    > location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    > Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:
    >
    > 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    > 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    I can access and post without the certificates

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    >> secnews software.
    >>
    >> Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >>
    >> This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    >> secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >>
    >> The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    >> news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    >> 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >>
    >> You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    >> (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    >> port 563:
    >>
    >> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    >> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >>
    >> Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    >> "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    >> option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.
    >>
    >> When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    >> error as follows:
    >>
    >> Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    >> because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >>
    >> Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    >> location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    >> Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:
    >>
    >> 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    >> 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    > I can access and post without the certificates

    But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 7/1/2008 4:04 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    >>> secnews software.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >>>
    >>> This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    >>> secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >>>
    >>> The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    >>> news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    >>> 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >>>
    >>> You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    >>> (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    >>> port 563:
    >>>
    >>> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    >>> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >>>
    >>> Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    >>> "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    >>> option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.
    >>>
    >>> When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    >>> error as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    >>> because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >>>
    >>> Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    >>> location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    >>> Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and
    >>> enable:
    >>>
    >>> 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    >>> 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    >> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>

    > Same here.

    Same question I just asked Peter ... do you still have those two lines
    set to "true" in about:config ?

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  5. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    I do now!

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 01.07.2008 23:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >> On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    I just tried in SeaMonkey and no access to secnews until I changed the
    lines to "true".

    I have an inquiry in to the admin about it. I don't think that the old
    secnews software is compatible with 128 bit cert. Nevertheless we're
    back ... :-)

    Not going to push this any further at the moment, something to be said
    about staying just under the radar.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    I have those two set to True, and have no problems accessing or posting
    in secnews. I also kept the old newsgroup listing (account)

    seems that either those new certificates are automatic, or simply not
    required

  8. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02.07.2008 05:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    same here, as ol' man Dan.... settings as a year ago, never
    deleted/removed the account (kept up the "ticking" on the [can't connect
    to...] box.)
    Old Faithful, that's me!

    reg

  9. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02.07.2008 02:47, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >> On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    Set to "true" is what is allowing you access. The new certs do nothing.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  10. Re: Accessing Secnews

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 02.07.2008 05:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    My umpteen year old work profile worked without tweaking. No joy from
    the newer install home box.
    Interesting, made a test post in testing. Wouldn't let me post with only
    a Subject. Had to put something in the body for the post to be accepted.
    This a new feature?

  11. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02.07.2008 10:49, clay wrote:

    >> On 02.07.2008 05:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> On 01.07.2008 19:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
    don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
    versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
    then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  12. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 7/1/2008 4:04 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    >>> secnews software.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >>>
    >>> This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    >>> secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >>>
    >>> The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    >>> news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    >>> 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >>>
    >>> You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    >>> (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    >>> port 563:
    >>>
    >>> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    >>> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >>>
    >>> Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    >>> "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    >>> option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the
    >>> certificate.
    >>>
    >>> When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    >>> error as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    >>> because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >>>
    >>> Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    >>> location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    >>> Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and
    >>> enable:
    >>>
    >>> 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    >>> 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    >> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>

    > Same here.

    But you might not be able to post there without the certificates.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  13. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>>

    >> Same here.
    >>

    > But you might not be able to post there without the certificates.

    I posted there without such

  14. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Same here.
    >>>

    >> But you might not be able to post there without the certificates.
    >>

    > I posted there without such

    and the same here.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02.07.2008 13:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >>> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>>

    >> Same here.
    >>

    > But you might not be able to post there without the certificates.

    The certs are useless, don't work, don't need 'em.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    > secnews software.
    >
    > Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >
    > This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    > secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >
    > The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    > news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    > 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >
    > You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    > (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    > port 563:
    >
    > https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    > https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >
    > Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    > "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    > option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.
    >
    > When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    > error as follows:
    >
    > Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    > because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >
    > Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    > location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    > Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:
    >
    > 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    > 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    How do you import cert to TB?

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org

  17. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02.07.2008 16:48, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    >> Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
    >> secnews software.
    >>
    >> Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):
    >>
    >> This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
    >> secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.
    >>
    >> The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
    >> news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
    >> 2008 to Jun 29, 2010.
    >>
    >> You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
    >> (NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
    >> port 563:
    >>
    >> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
    >> https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der
    >>
    >> Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
    >> "Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
    >> option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.
    >>
    >> When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
    >> error as follows:
    >>
    >> Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
    >> because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.
    >>
    >> Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
    >> location/address bar in Seamonkey or
    >> Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:
    >>
    >> 1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
    >> 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")
    >>

    > How do you import cert to TB?

    You don't. There would be no point anyway because they are useless.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  18. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 02-07-2008 23:48 CET, Phillip Jones, CET composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > How do you import cert to TB?

    If you have to: click the Import button in the Certificate Manager tabs
    (see Tools/Options/Certificates/View Certificates).

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  19. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 03.07.2008 07:32, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > On 02-07-2008 23:48 CET, Phillip Jones, CET composed this enchanting
    > statement:
    >> How do you import cert to TB?
    >>

    > If you have to: click the Import button in the Certificate Manager tabs
    > (see Tools/Options/Certificates/View Certificates).

    Works, importing that is, but not necessary.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  20. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> My umpteen year old work profile worked without tweaking. No joy from
    >> the newer install home box.
    >> Interesting, made a test post in testing. Wouldn't let me post with only
    >> a Subject. Had to put something in the body for the post to be accepted.
    >> This a new feature?

    > The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
    > don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
    > versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
    > then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.

    Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
    The settings are there and tweaked...
    Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
    It worked before the expiration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast