Accessing Secnews - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Accessing Secnews - Mozilla ; Jay Garcia wrote: > On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: > > --- Original Message --- > >> Jay Garcia wrote: >>> Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old >>> secnews software. >>> ...

  1. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> 2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

    >> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>

    > But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?

    Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
    made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
    test.moderated but not test Multimedia

    Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
    Martinsville Va 24112 |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

    mailtojones@kimbanet.com

  2. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 02.07.2008 16:48, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    In SM 2apre1 despite adjusting those items and install certs.

    the use ssl item bounces of as soon as you close out of the window
    either by clicking okay or by simple switching to a different adjustment

    Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
    Martinsville Va 24112 |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

    mailtojones@kimbanet.com

  3. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    I don't see test.moderated (or netscape.test.moderated, if that is what
    you mean) on the secnews server with TB, but I do see netscape.test.
    (And netscape.test.secnews2.)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 05.07.2008 21:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 05.07.2008 13:20, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    well, no! not really...
    "abandoned" would mean that someone "was" there and have deserted

    but in fact, we just used to "visit" - but don't, anymore!

    maybe we "abandoned" the idea of implementing a very useful and
    mozilla-friendly community...

    reg

  5. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    Shark to generate the following:? :
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    click the update button next to the server-list!

    reg

  6. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.07.2008 00:18, clay wrote:

    Gotta be the firewall. Fired up a Windows box and it couldn't connect
    either.
    Poked around the firewall but didn't see anything blocking port 563.
    Gonna have to dig some more and rtfm.

  7. Re: Accessing Secnews

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    > Shark to generate the following:? :
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    What is unclear about "and refreshed the groups list from server", above?

    That's how I got the groups I do show. I will repeat *this* for you, as
    well: there are only seven non-dev newsgroups showing in the whole
    netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.

    Is that really all there are?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  8. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 07.07.2008 20:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    Shark to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    >> Shark to generate the following:? :

    ohhhh - so THAT is what you meant....
    but "yes" - there are only 7+1 and, of the 7, Firebird is a bit obsolete!

    reg

  9. Re: Accessing Secnews

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    > Shark to generate the following:? :
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    Yep did that.

    Think I am going to have to wait a while. they have a a lot of stuff
    turned of. And despite having the new FF3 Gecko rendering engine is
    slower than when I was using SeaMonkey 1.1x on my old 512k connection.

    FF3 is 10 times faster. They've got a lot of work to do. This puppy
    won't be ready for prime time for another two years.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  10. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:

    > On 02.07.2008 02:47, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:

    >>> Same question I just asked Peter ... do you still have those two lines
    >>> set to "true" in about:config ?

    >> I have those two set to True, and have no problems accessing or posting
    >> in secnews. I also kept the old newsgroup listing (account)
    >>
    >> seems that either those new certificates are automatic, or simply not
    >> required

    > Set to "true" is what is allowing you access.

    And making sure the port is set to 563. No idea how it got set wrong,
    but it did.

    > The new certs do nothing.

    Lazy swine.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  11. Re: Accessing Secnews

    And clearly ****ing stated.

    > but "yes" - there are only 7+1 and, of the 7, Firebird is a bit obsolete!

    Okay.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  12. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:27:10 -0400, in message ,
    Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    >>> I can access and post without the certificates
    >>>

    >> But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?
    >>

    > Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
    > made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
    > test.moderated but not test Multimedia

    There are two different news servers hosted on secnews.netscape.com
    They are normally accessed with different settings...

    A. Port = 119
    "[ ] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- not checked

    B. Port = 563
    "[X] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- checked

    Server 'A' has newsgroup "netscape.test.moderated" but not "netscape.test.multimedia"
    Server 'B' has newsgroup "netscape.test.multimedia"

    It appears that you are communicating with server 'A'.

    Are your settings as in 'B'?
    If so, then do you have two news server accounts configured in
    SM with the same domain "secnews.netscape.com", the other account
    set up as in 'A'? In this case, try changing one of the two
    domains from "secnews.netscape.com" to "secnews.aoltw.net".

  13. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    >>> But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?
    >>>

    >> Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
    >> made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
    >> test.moderated but not test Multimedia

    > There are two different news servers hosted on secnews.netscape.com
    > They are normally accessed with different settings...
    >
    > A. Port = 119
    > "[ ] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- not checked
    >
    > B. Port = 563
    > "[X] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- checked
    >
    > Server 'A' has newsgroup "netscape.test.moderated" but not "netscape.test.multimedia"
    > Server 'B' has newsgroup "netscape.test.multimedia"
    >
    > It appears that you are communicating with server 'A'.
    >
    > Are your settings as in 'B'?
    > If so, then do you have two news server accounts configured in
    > SM with the same domain "secnews.netscape.com", the other account
    > set up as in 'A'? In this case, try changing one of the two
    > domains from "secnews.netscape.com" to "secnews.aoltw.net".

    That's the problem.
    on SM a Pre 1 trying to set use ssl clicking on it switches to 563 but
    as soon as you click and dismiss the Preference window it bounces back
    to 119.

    So SM for now is severely broken so far a Mail and news goes. And the
    web browser portion is pokier than Communicator 4 at the current pace I
    don't see it as a viable replacement for 1x for two years or more.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  14. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > That's the problem.
    > on SM a Pre 1 trying to set use ssl clicking on it switches to 563 but
    > as soon as you click and dismiss the Preference window it bounces back
    > to 119.
    >
    > So SM for now is severely broken so far a Mail and news goes. And the
    > web browser portion is pokier than Communicator 4 at the current pace I
    > don't see it as a viable replacement for 1x for two years or more.

    actually, you're problem is SMpre1. Its not an
    official public release. Stick with SM 1.1.11

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 07.07.2008 18:09, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > Think I am going to have to wait a while. they have a a lot of stuff
    > turned of. And despite having the new FF3 Gecko rendering engine is
    > slower than when I was using SeaMonkey 1.1x on my old 512k connection.

    A lot turned off??? News to me, like what??

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 08.07.2008 05:08, Ralph Fox wrote:

    >>> But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?
    >>>

    >> Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
    >> made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
    >> test.moderated but not test Multimedia

    > There are two different news servers hosted on secnews.netscape.com
    > They are normally accessed with different settings...
    >
    > A. Port = 119
    > "[ ] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- not checked
    >
    > B. Port = 563
    > "[X] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- checked
    >
    > Server 'A' has newsgroup "netscape.test.moderated" but not "netscape.test.multimedia"
    > Server 'B' has newsgroup "netscape.test.multimedia"
    >
    > It appears that you are communicating with server 'A'.
    >
    > Are your settings as in 'B'?
    > If so, then do you have two news server accounts configured in
    > SM with the same domain "secnews.netscape.com", the other account
    > set up as in 'A'? In this case, try changing one of the two
    > domains from "secnews.netscape.com" to "secnews.aoltw.net".

    To see ALL the groups on secnews you only have to have port 563
    configured, no need to have a second server configured for port 119. All
    the groups can be subscribed to but on port 119, the SSL groups cannot
    be seen OR accessed.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  17. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 06.07.2008 14:56, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    >> On 02.07.2008 16:48, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    Then it's a bug in SM 2 which is not a release.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  18. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 08.07.2008 05:08, Ralph Fox wrote:

    if you have port 563 configured, then you also have to
    have SSL checked, correct?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  19. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 07.07.2008 18:09, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Try setting up newsgroups for one particular those that use
    authentication and others needing ssl turned on

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  20. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 08.07.2008 05:08, Ralph Fox wrote:

    I check them but they don't stick in SM2

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11