Accessing Secnews - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Accessing Secnews - Mozilla ; clay wrote: > Jay Garcia wrote: >> ... >>> My umpteen year old work profile worked without tweaking. No joy from >>> the newer install home box. >>> Interesting, made a test post in testing. Wouldn't let me post with ...

  1. Re: Accessing Secnews

    clay wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> My umpteen year old work profile worked without tweaking. No joy from
    >>> the newer install home box.
    >>> Interesting, made a test post in testing. Wouldn't let me post with only
    >>> a Subject. Had to put something in the body for the post to be accepted.
    >>> This a new feature?

    >> The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
    >> don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
    >> versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
    >> then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.
    >>

    > Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
    > The settings are there and tweaked...
    > Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
    > It worked before the expiration.

    are you using port 563 and is SSL checked?

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >>> The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
    >>> don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
    >>> versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
    >>> then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.
    >>>

    >> Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
    >> The settings are there and tweaked...
    >> Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
    >> It worked before the expiration.

    > are you using port 563 and is SSL checked?

    Yup...

  3. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 04.07.2008 00:18, clay wrote:

    >>> Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
    >>> The settings are there and tweaked...
    >>> Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
    >>> It worked before the expiration.

    >> are you using port 563 and is SSL checked?
    >>

    > Yup...

    Check your firewall settings/permissions. "Timed out" and "Connection
    refused" are not the same thing, the latter being the one if your SSL
    setting are not set to "true".

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 04.07.2008 00:18, clay wrote:

    Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
    very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
    secnews server?

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

  5. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 04.07.2008 00:18, clay wrote:

    Why use secnews?

    There is little spam on secnews, tho there isnt much on mozilla.org,
    there is some

    Secnews is not available to Google Groups

    The 'monitoring' on secnews, at least for the help groups, is done
    somewhat differently than the monitoring that occurs on mozilla. We
    also, at least for the multimedia group, provide a 'chat type'
    atmosphere to assist in the attraction of 'multimedia artistic types'.

    On Secnews, there is no problem or concern with posting binary images.
    You can use netscape.test.multimedia for screen shots if need be, as
    well as multimedia 'help' from other users.

    On Secnews, OT traffic is not shuffled off to another newsgroup, we
    request that it be marked OT in the subject, but besides that, it stays
    in the group it originated in.

    Where traffic warrents it, there are seperate groups for different OSes
    on Secnews. Again, not a major deal, but nice regardless.

  6. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 05.07.2008 09:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
    Shark to generate the following:? :
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> On 04.07.2008 00:18, clay wrote:

    that was your question of the month
    now - ask a sensible question :-P

    because ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE live at secnews - that's why.

    reg

  7. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Yup...

    >> Check your firewall settings/permissions. "Timed out" and "Connection
    >> refused" are not the same thing, the latter being the one if your SSL
    >> setting are not set to "true".

    > Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
    > very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
    > secnews server?

    Summed up pretty nicely by Dan, but I can add:

    1. Because it's there! ;-)
    2. No incoming OR outgoing feed to usenet or otherwise
    3. Liberal posting policy(s)
    4. Spam harvesting softwares are few and far between that can
    scan/harvest an SNEWS server. Yes, it CAN be done but usually not worth
    the effort.
    5. NNTP Server software loaded/running on dedicated server, not shared.
    6. It's FREE !!
    7. reg is not blocked. :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  8. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 05.07.2008 14:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    7a) yet

    reg

  9. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    8. the Purple Hippo isn't banned.
    9. there's no Mozilla Bully and his gang

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    I was listing reasons why Secnews was a place to go, not a place to
    avoid

  11. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    and I was just adding to that list.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    the purple hippo isn't banned... yet

    and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew

  13. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    -------------------------snip-------------------------

    > the purple hippo isn't banned... yet
    >
    > and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew

    *Woo Hoo*!!

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  14. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
    >> very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
    >> secnews server?

    > Why use secnews?
    >

    > There is little spam on secnews, tho there isnt much on mozilla.org,
    > there is some
    >
    > Secnews is not available to Google Groups
    >
    > The 'monitoring' on secnews, at least for the help groups, is done
    > somewhat differently than the monitoring that occurs on mozilla. We
    > also, at least for the multimedia group, provide a 'chat type'
    > atmosphere to assist in the attraction of 'multimedia artistic types'.
    >
    > On Secnews, there is no problem or concern with posting binary images.
    > You can use netscape.test.multimedia for screen shots if need be, as
    > well as multimedia 'help' from other users.
    >
    > On Secnews, OT traffic is not shuffled off to another newsgroup, we
    > request that it be marked OT in the subject, but besides that, it stays
    > in the group it originated in.
    >
    > Where traffic warrents it, there are seperate groups for different OSes
    > on Secnews. Again, not a major deal, but nice regardless.

    Thanks, Dan.

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
    Need a new feed?
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

  15. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
    >> very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
    >> secnews server?
    >>

    > Summed up pretty nicely by Dan, but I can add:
    >
    > 1. Because it's there! ;-)
    > 2. No incoming OR outgoing feed to usenet or otherwise
    > 3. Liberal posting policy(s)
    > 4. Spam harvesting softwares are few and far between that can
    > scan/harvest an SNEWS server. Yes, it CAN be done but usually not worth
    > the effort.
    > 5. NNTP Server software loaded/running on dedicated server, not shared.
    > 6. It's FREE !!
    > 7. reg is not blocked. :-)

    Thanks for the addenda, Jay.

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
    Need a new feed?
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

  16. Re: Accessing Secnews

    On 05.07.2008 13:20, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >> and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew

    > *Woo Hoo*!!

    Does this mean now that this server is hereby "abandoned" ??

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  17. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.07.2008 13:20, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Only so far as M T M M goes except for some limited use.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  18. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    I'm lost. I added secnews.netscape.com. I'm using port 563.
    Everything's dandy. Except I don't see any netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.
    I don't see a TB group. I don't see a FF group. The hell am I doing
    wrong?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  19. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    ssl needs to be checked and see the last paragraph here:
    or
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...dec92432bb006b

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  20. Re: Accessing Secnews

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 05.07.2008 02:58, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    Okay, I did that stuff for the certs and the advanced config and
    refreshed the groups list from the server.

    It apparently worked -- if there are only seven non-dev newsgroups in
    the whole netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.