Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update - Mozilla ; Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote: > Ron Hunter wrote: > >>> It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs >>> occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening, >>> sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

  1. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>> It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    >>> occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    >>> sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    >>> mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.
    >>>

    >> IRQ conflict sounds most likely.

    > I agree, but I'd eliminate bad RAM first.
    >
    > BTW, Bev, are you using Pat's stock kernels or is the "consultant"
    > building them for you?

    He builds them. I've built a few myself, but I always worry...

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  2. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> You did test what RAM you have, didn't you?

    > Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    > found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  3. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>
    >>> You did test what RAM you have, didn't you?

    >> Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    >> found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    > Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    > try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    Rinaldi
    --
    !07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I !pleH

  4. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    FU set to m.s.firefox

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    >>> found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    >> Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    >> try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    > Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    Noted. BTW, I just upgraded to FF 2.0.0.16 (with a certain amount of
    trepidation, of course), which worked fine.

    Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    I can't force a subdirectory, and it makes no difference whether 'ask
    me" or "always save to" are checked in the preferences.

    I had 'down them all' added for a while, which gave me a few more
    options for finding files, but disabling it really didn't improve the
    situation, which is that downloading is really unreliable. It
    apparently goes into the cache, but never comes out :-(

    At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  5. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    FU set to m.s.firefox

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    >>> found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    >> Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    >> try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    > Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    Noted. BTW, I just upgraded to FF 2.0.0.16 (with a certain amount of
    trepidation, of course), which worked fine.

    Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    I can't force a subdirectory, and it makes no difference whether 'ask
    me" or "always save to" are checked in the preferences.

    I had 'down them all' added for a while, which gave me a few more
    options for finding files, but disabling it really didn't improve the
    situation, which is that downloading is really unreliable. It
    apparently goes into the cache, but never comes out :-(

    At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  6. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > pixturesk wrote:
    >> On Jul 2, 9:11 am, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

    >> I have to use FF 2.0.0.15 because I am still using Win98SE very
    >> successfully. Just as IE6 SP1 is as high as I can go on 98SE, the same
    >> reasoning applies to FF2.

    > What can I say? If you drive a 1958 model car, you have trouble buying
    > gasoline (leaded) to keep your valves from burning up.

    You can probably buy "smog heads" for the engine. Hardened valve seats.
    We had to do that for our 68 Dodge van. Life goes on :-)

    > It's the old
    > thing about new wine in old wineskins all over again.
    > Believe me, I understand, as I used the same computer for 9 years!
    >
    > I just hope you will be able to keep enjoying the web with FF2 for as
    > long as the computer keeps doing its thing.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  7. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    "The Real Bev"
    > Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    > 2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    > the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    > control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    > where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    > the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    The downloads is Ctrl+J and from there you can right click on
    the download, and choose "Open Containing Folder"
    Your options for downloads are in
    Tools, Options, Main in both Fx2 and in Fx3

    Documentation (Help)
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ndow#Downloads

    Since the machine I am using is running vista, I created and use
    the folder c:\download_vista for my downloads.

    I see you knew that and were pointed to about:config

    I think the remedy for your problem in Fx2 about not seeing the
    Download Manager can be solved with
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Downloads_...wnload_Manager

    --
    HTH,

  8. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    >>> found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    >> Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    >> try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    > Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    Tried that. Worse. I give up.

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  9. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > "The Real Bev"
    >> Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    >> 2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    >> the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    >> control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    >> where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    >> the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    > The downloads is Ctrl+J and from there you can right click on
    > the download, and choose "Open Containing Folder"
    > Your options for downloads are in
    > Tools, Options, Main in both Fx2 and in Fx3
    >
    > Documentation (Help)
    > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ndow#Downloads
    >
    > Since the machine I am using is running vista, I created and use
    > the folder c:\download_vista for my downloads.
    >
    > I see you knew that and were pointed to about:config
    >
    > I think the remedy for your problem in Fx2 about not seeing the
    > Download Manager can be solved with
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Downloads_...wnload_Manager

    I had already done everything suggested in the article EXCEPT deleting
    downloads.rdf. Voila! The file was 20 meg. (I like keeping a record
    of everything I save, when possible, so I just renamed it :-( Belt and
    suspenders.)

    Thanks!

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  10. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > FU set to m.s.firefox
    >
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    >>> try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    >> Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    > Noted. BTW, I just upgraded to FF 2.0.0.16 (with a certain amount of
    > trepidation, of course), which worked fine.
    >
    > Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    > 2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    > the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    > control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    > where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    > the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    do an about:config and filter on download. Check the entries and see if
    they're real world or left over artifacts from some old config. You can
    modify with a double click.

    > I can't force a subdirectory, and it makes no difference whether 'ask
    > me" or "always save to" are checked in the preferences.
    >
    > I had 'down them all' added for a while, which gave me a few more
    > options for finding files, but disabling it really didn't improve the
    > situation, which is that downloading is really unreliable. It
    > apparently goes into the cache, but never comes out :-(

    The only other thing I can think of is a conflict with KDE/QT and the
    Firefox widget set. I found (using KDE) that installing the
    gtk_qt_engine made life easier with some applications Although
    OpenOffice freezes if I don't use keyboard shortcuts ;-)

    > At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    Rinaldi
    --
    Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no
    guarantee of eventual success.

  11. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Ran it 2.5 times. No errors. Pity, hardware problems are EASY! Next
    >>> try (append="mem=6144M") tomorrow...

    >> Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    > Tried that. Worse. I give up.

    Where in the boot is it hanging, what's the scrolling tell you? If it's
    HAL or UDEV you might just turn them off.

    Time to put your consultant on short rations until he works it out ;-)

    Rinaldi
    --
    Howe's Law:
    Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

  12. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> FU set to m.s.firefox
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    >> Noted. BTW, I just upgraded to FF 2.0.0.16 (with a certain amount of
    >> trepidation, of course), which worked fine.
    >>
    >> Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    >> 2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    >> the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    >> control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    >> where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    >> the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    > do an about:config and filter on download. Check the entries and see if
    > they're real world or left over artifacts from some old config. You can
    > modify with a double click.

    Did a lot of screwing around in there and then did what David McR
    suggested: delete the downloads.rdf file. I should have known;
    deleting an .rdf file is ALWAYS the solution!

    >> I can't force a subdirectory, and it makes no difference whether 'ask
    >> me" or "always save to" are checked in the preferences.
    >>
    >> I had 'down them all' added for a while, which gave me a few more
    >> options for finding files, but disabling it really didn't improve the
    >> situation, which is that downloading is really unreliable. It
    >> apparently goes into the cache, but never comes out :-(

    I guess it just can't handle a 20-meg .rdf file. Stupid thing!

    > The only other thing I can think of is a conflict with KDE/QT and the
    > Firefox widget set. I found (using KDE) that installing the
    > gtk_qt_engine made life easier with some applications Although
    > OpenOffice freezes if I don't use keyboard shortcuts ;-)
    >
    >> At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    > updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    Sometimes the filename isn't quite what I expected :-( I love updatedb;
    I don't see how people get along without it. Anyway, that problem is
    solved...for now...

    Latest nastiness: Java doesn't work any more. I noticed this when I
    tried to update Limewire, which burped because it expects jre 1.5 and I
    have 1.6 and 1.4 and something else ALL OF WHICH it found, but it burped
    anyway. Then I looked at aboutlugins, and sure enough, no java there
    either. I've got a lot of references and paths in various places to
    various java-like thingies, but I have no idea what to do about any of
    them for fear I'll break something else.

    Just for starters: what/where is the profile file that isn't
    ~/.bash_profile? I want to get rid of the path to jre1.4.whatever, but
    I don't know what sets that path. I don't suppose there's a handy
    utility that backtracks stuff like that, is there?

    What does not kill us just REALLY pisses us off.

  13. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Change that to whatever your RAM really is. 1024/gig

    >> Tried that. Worse. I give up.

    > Where in the boot is it hanging, what's the scrolling tell you? If it's
    > HAL or UDEV you might just turn them off.

    At the very end, which is currently GPM. If I delete that, then it
    hangs at CUPS. If I delete that... We've looked at the dmesg from
    another partition, but no useful information.

    > Time to put your consultant on short rations until he works it out ;-)

    I'll save that for something more important :-) The workaround -- use
    the 2.6.20 kernel -- is good enough. Besides, he makes his own lunch!

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  14. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Tried that. Worse. I give up.

    >> Where in the boot is it hanging, what's the scrolling tell you? If it's
    >> HAL or UDEV you might just turn them off.

    > At the very end, which is currently GPM. If I delete that, then it
    > hangs at CUPS. If I delete that... We've looked at the dmesg from
    > another partition, but no useful information.
    >
    >> Time to put your consultant on short rations until he works it out ;-)

    > I'll save that for something more important :-) The workaround -- use
    > the 2.6.20 kernel -- is good enough. Besides, he makes his own lunch!

    Last bit of advice on this one. Can you boot to runlevel 1 (append init
    1 to your boot command) and process /etc/rc.* from there? Might be
    informative. Might not.

    Rinaldi
    --
    This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.

  15. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> FU set to m.s.firefox

    >>> Noted. BTW, I just upgraded to FF 2.0.0.16 (with a certain amount of
    >>> trepidation, of course), which worked fine.
    >>>
    >>> Annoying thing -- the 'download' window hasn't worked since maybe
    >>> 2.0.0.12. Stuff downloads, but not necessarily where I expect it to,
    >>> the 'download' window doesn't pop up unless I force it (from the menu or
    >>> control-y), and it's always empty. Now there's nothing to tell you
    >>> where something downloaded, you just have to go hunting for it -- and
    >>> the date of the file is no longer changed to the download time.

    >> do an about:config and filter on download. Check the entries and see if
    >> they're real world or left over artifacts from some old config. You can
    >> modify with a double click.

    > Did a lot of screwing around in there and then did what David McR
    > suggested: delete the downloads.rdf file. I should have known;
    > deleting an .rdf file is ALWAYS the solution!
    >
    >>> I can't force a subdirectory, and it makes no difference whether 'ask
    >>> me" or "always save to" are checked in the preferences.
    >>>
    >>> I had 'down them all' added for a while, which gave me a few more
    >>> options for finding files, but disabling it really didn't improve the
    >>> situation, which is that downloading is really unreliable. It
    >>> apparently goes into the cache, but never comes out :-(

    > I guess it just can't handle a 20-meg .rdf file. Stupid thing!
    >
    >> The only other thing I can think of is a conflict with KDE/QT and the
    >> Firefox widget set. I found (using KDE) that installing the
    >> gtk_qt_engine made life easier with some applications Although
    >> OpenOffice freezes if I don't use keyboard shortcuts ;-)
    >>
    >>> At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    >> updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    > Sometimes the filename isn't quite what I expected :-( I love updatedb;
    > I don't see how people get along without it. Anyway, that problem is
    > solved...for now...
    >
    > Latest nastiness: Java doesn't work any more. I noticed this when I
    > tried to update Limewire, which burped because it expects jre 1.5 and I
    > have 1.6 and 1.4 and something else ALL OF WHICH it found, but it burped
    > anyway. Then I looked at aboutlugins, and sure enough, no java there
    > either. I've got a lot of references and paths in various places to
    > various java-like thingies, but I have no idea what to do about any of
    > them for fear I'll break something else.

    ln -s /usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    If there's a dead symlink you may have to remove it first.

    > Just for starters: what/where is the profile file that isn't
    > ~/.bash_profile? I want to get rid of the path to jre1.4.whatever, but
    > I don't know what sets that path. I don't suppose there's a handy
    > utility that backtracks stuff like that, is there?

    The path is set in /etc/profile and /etc/profile.d/* Read /etc/profile
    for a better understanding. I think Pat changed things to where the
    current install of java is always /usr/lib/java with a symlink to the
    java-$VERSION. Regardless, the symlink to the plugin needs be
    re-created with each upgrade.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Losing your drivers' license is just God's way of saying "BOOGA,
    BOOGA!"

  16. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On 07/16/2008 06:58 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    > [...]
    > Just for starters: what/where is the profile file that isn't
    > ~/.bash_profile? I want to get rid of the path to jre1.4.whatever, but
    > I don't know what sets that path. I don't suppose there's a handy
    > utility that backtracks stuff like that, is there?

    Are you talking about ~/.bashrc ?

    --

  17. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:01:04 -0400
    "Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    > > At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    > updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    /me scratches head

    You mean `updatedb && locate `, right? Maybe I'm
    too sleepy to be posting.

  18. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Q wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:01:04 -0400
    > "Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >> > At least with DTA it puts it SOMEWHERE.

    >> updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    > /me scratches head
    >
    > You mean `updatedb && locate `, right? Maybe I'm
    > too sleepy to be posting.

    No. One of us was sleeping and it wasn't you ;-)

    rinaldi
    --
    There is no substitute for good manners, except, perhaps, fast
    reflexes.

  19. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> do an about:config and filter on download. Check the entries and see if
    >>> they're real world or left over artifacts from some old config. You can
    >>> modify with a double click.

    >> Did a lot of screwing around in there and then did what David McR
    >> suggested: delete the downloads.rdf file. I should have known;
    >> deleting an .rdf file is ALWAYS the solution!

    >> I guess it just can't handle a 20-meg .rdf file. Stupid thing!
    >>
    >>> The only other thing I can think of is a conflict with KDE/QT and the
    >>> Firefox widget set. I found (using KDE) that installing the
    >>> gtk_qt_engine made life easier with some applications Although
    >>> OpenOffice freezes if I don't use keyboard shortcuts ;-)

    >>> updatedb|locate unless you forgot what you dl'd ;-)

    >> Sometimes the filename isn't quite what I expected :-( I love updatedb;
    >> I don't see how people get along without it. Anyway, that problem is
    >> solved...for now...
    >>
    >> Latest nastiness: Java doesn't work any more. I noticed this when I
    >> tried to update Limewire, which burped because it expects jre 1.5 and I
    >> have 1.6 and 1.4 and something else ALL OF WHICH it found, but it burped
    >> anyway. Then I looked at aboutlugins, and sure enough, no java there
    >> either. I've got a lot of references and paths in various places to
    >> various java-like thingies, but I have no idea what to do about any of
    >> them for fear I'll break something else.

    > ln -s /usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > ~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > If there's a dead symlink you may have to remove it first.
    >
    >> Just for starters: what/where is the profile file that isn't
    >> ~/.bash_profile? I want to get rid of the path to jre1.4.whatever, but
    >> I don't know what sets that path. I don't suppose there's a handy
    >> utility that backtracks stuff like that, is there?

    > The path is set in /etc/profile and /etc/profile.d/* Read /etc/profile
    > for a better understanding.

    That was it. Too damn many files named "profile", if you ask me.

    > I think Pat changed things to where the
    > current install of java is always /usr/lib/java with a symlink to the
    > java-$VERSION. Regardless, the symlink to the plugin needs be
    > re-created with each upgrade.

    Did it, worked perfectly. I seem to remember something about "it MUST be
    a symlink and not the real file"... I wish I were one of those people
    who makes nice notes about everything. I also wish I'd wash dishes as I
    dirty them rather than waiting for a week's worth to pile up. I wish
    I'd pull a few weeds every day. I wish I were somebody else :-(

    Limewire is still unhappy with 1.6.0_06 and thinks it should have an
    earlier version. Tomorrow...

    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  20. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Mumia Wotse wrote:

    > On 07/16/2008 06:58 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Just for starters: what/where is the profile file that isn't
    >> ~/.bash_profile? I want to get rid of the path to jre1.4.whatever, but
    >> I don't know what sets that path. I don't suppose there's a handy
    >> utility that backtracks stuff like that, is there?

    > Are you talking about ~/.bashrc ?

    No, that doesn't get used any more -- current is ~/.bash_profile.
    /etc/profile was what I was looking for.