Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update - Mozilla ; On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote: > [...] > BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and then > refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries? [...] I read it, but I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

  1. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    > [...]
    > BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and then
    > refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries? [...]


    I read it, but I didn't really understand it.

    My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.

    I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).

  2. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> The date and time was 7/2/2008 8:08 PM, and on a whim, Ed Mullen
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>>
    >>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>>> He wouldn't have to go that far at all. The country with the
    >>>>>> largest oil reserves in the world is just next door... Canada. We
    >>>>>> already supply over 30% of the US demand for imported oil, and
    >>>>>> plan to pump more. We already supply 95% of the Natural Gas imports.
    >>>>> actually, this doesn't hold true any more. They've recently
    >>>>> discovered there is far more in the oil shale in the Green River
    >>>>> Valley of Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah area. It contains far more
    >>>>> oil than all of the Middle East.

    >
    > The bad part is that it costs a lot to suck it out.
    >
    >>>> My comment on the situation:
    >>>>
    >>>> Screw the polar bears, DRILL!
    >>>>
    >>>> Personally, the only polar bear I've ever seen was in a zoo. Or in
    >>>> a National Geographic magazine or TV show.

    >
    > The ones I've seen are green. Algae. They didn't seem to mind.
    >
    >>>> Oh. And there are about 4 times as many polar bears in the wild
    >>>> today as there were 20 years ago. Extinction? Excuse me?
    >>>> Environmentalists = uninformed alarmists.

    >
    > "They MUST be dying off, the ice they live on is shrinking due to global
    > warming. Their decrease PROVES that global warming exists." I'd think
    > they'd look forward to all the happy meals provided by oil workers who
    > think that bears are cute.
    >
    >>>> There. I've managed to tick off a whole bunch of people in three
    >>>> paragraphs. Job well done!

    >
    > Way to go!
    >
    >>>> I'm going to the polls and voting for every newcomer (assuming
    >>>> they're not a democrat). Turn them all out, they're all idiots at
    >>>> best, self-serving power mongers at worst. Send 'em all home and
    >>>> let 'em try to get a real job.
    >>>>
    >>>> Dang! I feel really good now!
    >>>
    >>> Funny how verbalizing can make one feel better, isn't it?

    >>
    >> Well, at least marginally! :-D

    >
    > It would be pretty to think so, but it doesn't really help much.
    >
    > BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and then
    > refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries? That didn't
    > make me feel any better at all. Moreover, I got FF3 to install in
    > windows and an updated linux partition and (a) all my extensions are
    > toast, especially tab mix plus which I LOVE; and (b) it's ugly in linux.
    >

    Bev,
    Tab Mix Plus has been updated to work with FF3, but it is still not
    released (AFAIK), but can be downloaded from a link in the forum related
    to the extension. Works on my Windows system.

    As for what the FF3 default theme looks like-- does anyone really USE
    the default theme? Get busy and download a theme. A lot of them aren't
    available for FF3 yet, but many are much better looking than the
    default, which seems to get more like IE every iteration, which
    certainly is NOT good in my opinion. Of course, if you want butt-ugly,
    you can take a look at Safari, which would make you LOVE the FF3 default
    theme by comparison.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  3. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Melchert Fruitema said:

    >On 02-07-2008 01:03 CET, pixturesk composed this enchanting statement: >
    >Just installed the 2.0.0.15 update for Firefox by clicking on "Help", >
    >"Check for Updates". I always let Mozilla perform the update for me, >
    >always works that way.
    >>


    >It's good to know that some are still using Firefox version 2. ;-)


    I'd like to know (in 20 _simple_ words or less) just WHAT FF3 is and why.

    Did all the FF2 code suddenly vanish from all servers everywhere and
    someone had to start all over again with new code from scratch?

    More simply - what's the point of starting over every so often? Is
    "hot-new" that important? Judging from my own experience with past new
    releases it'll be at least a year before it is really to be trusted and by
    then will FF4 be out?

    Is it all about using code libraries that been similarly replaced by
    hot-new? Is any of it better for anything?

    JimL

    --

    If Obama becomes president the media will then try to destroy him simply because he is president,
    just as they did so very well with Bush.

  4. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com keyboarded, On 7/9/2008 1:20 PM :
    > Melchert Fruitema said:
    >
    >
    >> On 02-07-2008 01:03 CET, pixturesk composed this enchanting statement: >
    >> Just installed the 2.0.0.15 update for Firefox by clicking on "Help", >
    >> "Check for Updates". I always let Mozilla perform the update for me, >
    >> always works that way.
    >>
    >>>
    >>>

    >
    >
    >> It's good to know that some are still using Firefox version 2. ;-)
    >>

    >
    > I'd like to know (in 20 _simple_ words or less) just WHAT FF3 is and why.
    >
    > Did all the FF2 code suddenly vanish from all servers everywhere and
    > someone had to start all over again with new code from scratch?
    >
    > More simply - what's the point of starting over every so often? Is
    > "hot-new" that important? Judging from my own experience with past new
    > releases it'll be at least a year before it is really to be trusted and by
    > then will FF4 be out?
    >
    > Is it all about using code libraries that been similarly replaced by
    > hot-new? Is any of it better for anything?
    >
    > JimL
    >
    >


    The code for Fx is in a state of constant evolution. Yet from time to
    time major changes are made. Fx 3 is one of the majors, where the Gecko
    rendering engine was replaced with one that can support advanced web
    standards.

    --
    Ron K.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

  5. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:20:00 -0400
    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > I'd like to know (in 20 _simple_ words or less) just WHAT FF3 is and
    > why.


    It's a web browser, so you can browse the web.

    > Did all the FF2 code suddenly vanish from all servers everywhere and
    > someone had to start all over again with new code from scratch?


    No. Some of the code has been completely redone (e.g., the bookmarks
    and history bits), but mostly the code just evolves as they work on it.

    There have been nearly-complete rewrites, but not this millennium.


  6. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema said:
    >
    >> On 02-07-2008 01:03 CET, pixturesk composed this enchanting statement: >
    >> Just installed the 2.0.0.15 update for Firefox by clicking on "Help", >
    >> "Check for Updates". I always let Mozilla perform the update for me, >
    >> always works that way.
    >>>

    >
    >> It's good to know that some are still using Firefox version 2. ;-)

    >
    > I'd like to know (in 20 _simple_ words or less) just WHAT FF3 is and why.
    >
    > Did all the FF2 code suddenly vanish from all servers everywhere and
    > someone had to start all over again with new code from scratch?
    >
    > More simply - what's the point of starting over every so often? Is
    > "hot-new" that important? Judging from my own experience with past new
    > releases it'll be at least a year before it is really to be trusted and by
    > then will FF4 be out?
    >
    > Is it all about using code libraries that been similarly replaced by
    > hot-new? Is any of it better for anything?
    >
    > JimL
    >

    File handling has been greatly improved for FF3 on the Mac over FF2. I
    cannot say that is true for FF3 on Windows, though.
    I tend to agree with the people who call the "awesome bar" the "awful
    bar". I do not want bookmarks to be fetched when I type something into
    the address bar, and I certainly do not want what I type to stay in the
    dropdown after I have cleared my history. I tweaked the settings and
    have gotten it to work the way I want, except that I have to be very
    careful about how I add new bookmarks.
    Some of the extensions and themes had to be updated, and some were not
    updated. I really miss Unplug!

  7. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and then
    >> refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries? That didn't
    >> make me feel any better at all. Moreover, I got FF3 to install in
    >> windows and an updated linux partition and (a) all my extensions are
    >> toast, especially tab mix plus which I LOVE; and (b) it's ugly in linux.
    >>

    > Bev,
    > Tab Mix Plus has been updated to work with FF3, but it is still not
    > released (AFAIK), but can be downloaded from a link in the forum related
    > to the extension. Works on my Windows system.
    >
    > As for what the FF3 default theme looks like-- does anyone really USE
    > the default theme? Get busy and download a theme. A lot of them aren't
    > available for FF3 yet, but many are much better looking than the
    > default, which seems to get more like IE every iteration, which
    > certainly is NOT good in my opinion.


    I'm fond of Noia. I put something a little similar on FF3/win, which I
    don't use much, but I'll just wait a few months. I used to beta. Not
    any more. I leave that to the younguns.

    > Of course, if you want butt-ugly,
    > you can take a look at Safari, which would make you LOVE the FF3 default
    > theme by comparison.


    Apple?

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  8. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Mumia Wotse wrote:

    > On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and then
    >> refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries? [...]

    >
    > I read it, but I didn't really understand it.
    >
    > My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.
    >
    > I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).


    I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    12.1, but I the newest kernel I can run is 2.6.21. I've spent quite
    enough time bashing my head against a wall for the time being :-)

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  9. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On 13-07-2008 04:46 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, if you want butt-ugly, you can take a look at Safari,
    >> which would make you LOVE the FF3 default theme by comparison.

    >
    > Apple?
    >

    Careful, it may fall down the tree.

    --
    Cheers,
    Melchert


  10. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 13-07-2008 04:46 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course, if you want butt-ugly, you can take a look at Safari,
    >>> which would make you LOVE the FF3 default theme by comparison.

    >>
    >> Apple?
    >>

    > Careful, it may fall down the tree.
    >



    I'm a Mac User and I don't like Safari or Apple mail either.

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phillip M. Jones, CET http://www.vpea.org
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm
    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:50:32 -0700
    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Mumia Wotse wrote:
    >
    > > On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    > >> [...]
    > >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and
    > >> then refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries?
    > >> [...]

    > >
    > > I read it, but I didn't really understand it.
    > >
    > > My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.
    > >
    > > I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).

    >
    > I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    > 12.1, but I the newest kernel I can run is 2.6.21. I've spent quite
    > enough time bashing my head against a wall for the time being :-)


    Why can't you use a newer kernel? I'm just curious -- you don't have
    to answer if it would involve more head-bashing.


  12. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >> On 13-07-2008 04:46 CET, The Real Bev composed this enchanting statement:
    >>> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Of course, if you want butt-ugly, you can take a look at Safari,
    >>>> which would make you LOVE the FF3 default theme by comparison.
    >>>
    >>> Apple?
    >>>

    >> Careful, it may fall down the tree.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I'm a Mac User and I don't like Safari or Apple mail either.
    >

    I have a niece who is a dedicated Mac person (I still love her, in spite
    of this obvious personality flaw, grin), and even SHE doesn't like
    Safari. It looks like Apple went out of their way to make the UI as
    'plain Jane' as possible. She uses Firefox.. A small victory.


  13. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    *-* On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, at 19:50:32 -0700,
    *-* In Article E-6dnfk5YNjg8OTVnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* The Real Bev wrote
    *-* About Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    > Mumia Wotse wrote:


    >> On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and
    >>> then refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries?
    >>> [...]


    >> I read it, but I didn't really understand it.


    >> My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.


    >> I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).


    > I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    > 12.1,


    In that case, you might want to update your sig file too: :-D

    > Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)


    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

  14. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Q wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:50:32 -0700
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Mumia Wotse wrote:
    >> > On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >> >> [...]
    >> >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and
    >> >> then refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries?
    >> >> [...]
    >> >
    >> > I read it, but I didn't really understand it.
    >> >
    >> > My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.
    >> >
    >> > I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).

    >>
    >> I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    >> 12.1, but I the newest kernel I can run is 2.6.21. I've spent quite
    >> enough time bashing my head against a wall for the time being :-)

    >
    > Why can't you use a newer kernel? I'm just curious -- you don't have
    > to answer if it would involve more head-bashing.


    It hangs during boot, requiring half an hour to fsck. Tends to
    discourage experimentation, although my live-in consultant has spent
    several entire nights in the attempt. For a while he thought it was a
    USB thing (it ALMOST booted with the printer and card-reader unplugged,
    but only once).

    It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  15. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Ken Whiton wrote:

    > *-* The Real Bev wrote


    >> I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    >> 12.1,

    >
    > In that case, you might want to update your sig file too: :-D
    >
    >> Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)


    Thanks. Done!

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 12.1)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  16. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:50:32 -0700
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Mumia Wotse wrote:
    >>> > On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> >> [...]
    >>> >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and
    >>> >> then refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries?
    >>> >> [...]
    >>> > > I read it, but I didn't really understand it.
    >>> > > My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.
    >>> > > I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).
    >>>
    >>> I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    >>> 12.1, but I the newest kernel I can run is 2.6.21. I've spent quite
    >>> enough time bashing my head against a wall for the time being :-)

    >>
    >> Why can't you use a newer kernel? I'm just curious -- you don't have
    >> to answer if it would involve more head-bashing.

    >
    > It hangs during boot, requiring half an hour to fsck. Tends to
    > discourage experimentation, although my live-in consultant has spent
    > several entire nights in the attempt. For a while he thought it was a
    > USB thing (it ALMOST booted with the printer and card-reader unplugged,
    > but only once).
    >
    > It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    > occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    > sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    > mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.
    >

    IRQ conflict sounds most likely.

  17. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:50:32 -0700
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Mumia Wotse wrote:
    >>> > On 07/06/2008 11:11 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> >> [...]
    >>> >> BTW, did you read my rant about FF 20015 over-writing 20014 and
    >>> >> then refusing to start because I hadn't updated some libraries?
    >>> >> [...]
    >>> >
    >>> > I read it, but I didn't really understand it.
    >>> >
    >>> > My FF 2.0.0.14 auto-updated to 2.0.0.15 without incident.
    >>> >
    >>> > I'm using Debian 4.0 (i386).
    >>>
    >>> I was using slackware 11, which was pretty old. I've updated it to
    >>> 12.1, but I the newest kernel I can run is 2.6.21. I've spent quite
    >>> enough time bashing my head against a wall for the time being :-)

    >>
    >> Why can't you use a newer kernel? I'm just curious -- you don't have
    >> to answer if it would involve more head-bashing.

    >
    > It hangs during boot, requiring half an hour to fsck. Tends to
    > discourage experimentation, although my live-in consultant has spent
    > several entire nights in the attempt. For a while he thought it was a
    > USB thing (it ALMOST booted with the printer and card-reader unplugged,
    > but only once).


    I've seen something similar with some of the recent 2.6 kernels.

    How much RAM do you have? This was the core problem for me. When
    building the kernel I'd check the appropriate box for 4 - 64 gigs of RAM
    (I have 6) and some of them just wouldn't boot properly. When I got the
    idea to add - append="mem=6144M" - to the lilo.conf global section
    things worked properly

    > It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    > occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    > sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    > mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.


    You did test what RAM you have, didn't you?

    Rinaldi
    --
    Krogt, n. (chemical symbol: Kr):
    The metallic silver coating found on fast-food game cards.
    -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

  18. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    >> It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    >> occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    >> sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    >> mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.
    >>

    > IRQ conflict sounds most likely.


    I agree, but I'd eliminate bad RAM first.

    BTW, Bev, are you using Pat's stock kernels or is the "consultant"
    building them for you?

    Rinaldi
    --
    HOW YOU CAN TELL THAT IT'S GOING TO BE A ROTTEN DAY:
    #1040 Your income tax refund cheque bounces.

  19. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    >> occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    >> sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    >> mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.
    >>

    > IRQ conflict sounds most likely.


    Yeah...

    Burnout is happening even as we speak...


    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 12.1)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

  20. Re: Firefox 2.0.0.15 Update

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:


    >> It hangs during boot, requiring half an hour to fsck. Tends to
    >> discourage experimentation, although my live-in consultant has spent
    >> several entire nights in the attempt. For a while he thought it was a
    >> USB thing (it ALMOST booted with the printer and card-reader unplugged,
    >> but only once).

    >
    > I've seen something similar with some of the recent 2.6 kernels.
    >
    > How much RAM do you have?


    2G

    > This was the core problem for me. When
    > building the kernel I'd check the appropriate box for 4 - 64 gigs of RAM
    > (I have 6) and some of them just wouldn't boot properly. When I got the
    > idea to add - append="mem=6144M" - to the lilo.conf global section
    > things worked properly
    >
    >> It's probably a mysterious hardware thing (the whole system hangs
    >> occasionally during operation -- sometimes when nothing is happening,
    >> sometimes during bittorrent downloads, sometimes as soon as I move the
    >> mouse) which will disappear next time I replace the motherboard.

    >
    > You did test what RAM you have, didn't you?


    Crap, no, I completely forgot about that. Definitely tomorrow (yes, I
    found the disk I made!), and then I'll try the lilo thing.

    > Rinaldi


    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 12.1)
    ================================================== =============
    When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast