Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG - Mozilla ; I was on Ameritrade trying to become rich and started a link to a tool that looks for patterns in stock movement - it brought up a window saying "starting Java". Then my system essentially stopped working and after a ...

  1. Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    I was on Ameritrade trying to become rich and started a link to a tool
    that looks for patterns in stock movement - it brought up a window
    saying "starting Java".

    Then my system essentially stopped working and after a while AVG threw
    up a window warning of two viruses (Ignore, Heal, Scream, etc)...

    I "healed" them....but - is this real or is AVG mistaken?

    And how does one turn the JAVA off? The menu on the Bar on the lower
    right side does not have an "off" choice!

    Virus programs do not seem to get along with JAVA.

    DoctorBill

  2. Re: Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    go and ask AVG: http://freeforum.avg.com/

    > And how does one turn the JAVA off? The menu on the Bar on the lower
    > right side does not have an "off" choice!
    >
    > Virus programs do not seem to get along with JAVA.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    if you turn off java, then you won't be able to use the
    stock movements, nor the site: Edit, Preferences, Advanced,
    and on the right, uncheck java.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> I was on Ameritrade trying to become rich and started a link to a tool
    >> that looks for patterns in stock movement - it brought up a window
    >> saying "starting Java".
    >>
    >> Then my system essentially stopped working and after a while AVG threw
    >> up a window warning of two viruses (Ignore, Heal, Scream, etc)...
    >>
    >> I "healed" them....but - is this real or is AVG mistaken?

    > go and ask AVG: http://freeforum.avg.com/
    >

    >> And how does one turn the JAVA off? The menu on the Bar on the lower
    >> right side does not have an "off" choice!
    >>
    >> Virus programs do not seem to get along with JAVA.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > if you turn off java, then you won't be able to use the stock movements,
    > nor the site: Edit, Preferences, Advanced, and on the right, uncheck java.

    Thanks for that link to their Forum(s) ! Didn't know they had one.

    I am running ver 7.5 - they have a Free ver 8.0 which I will download.

    If I turn JAVA off, will that affect very much as regards SeaMonkey's
    running?

    DoctorBill

  4. Re: Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    The date and time was 6/27/2008 9:24 AM, and on a whim, DoctorBill
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> I was on Ameritrade trying to become rich and started a link to a tool
    >>> that looks for patterns in stock movement - it brought up a window
    >>> saying "starting Java".
    >>>
    >>> Then my system essentially stopped working and after a while AVG threw
    >>> up a window warning of two viruses (Ignore, Heal, Scream, etc)...
    >>>
    >>> I "healed" them....but - is this real or is AVG mistaken?

    >> go and ask AVG: http://freeforum.avg.com/
    >>
    >>> And how does one turn the JAVA off? The menu on the Bar on the lower
    >>> right side does not have an "off" choice!
    >>>
    >>> Virus programs do not seem to get along with JAVA.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> if you turn off java, then you won't be able to use the stock movements,
    >> nor the site: Edit, Preferences, Advanced, and on the right, uncheck java.
    >>

    > Thanks for that link to their Forum(s) ! Didn't know they had one.
    >
    > I am running ver 7.5 - they have a Free ver 8.0 which I will download.
    >
    > If I turn JAVA off, will that affect very much as regards SeaMonkey's
    > running?
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Hi Bill,

    I use E*trade and use their Power E*trade Pro which uses Java also.
    Java has to be enabled in order to use it. Or you can just use the web
    site log in to monitor one stock at a time (for E*trade at least). I
    use Tab Mix Plus to set the reload time on the tabs so it stays logged in.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    The date and time was 6/27/2008 10:01 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> If I turn JAVA off, will that affect very much as regards SeaMonkey's
    >> running?

    > no, SM will continue running, it just won't show websites
    > with java in it.

    Which isn't to be confused with javascript...

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Running Java Console elicits Virus Warning from AVG

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > If I turn JAVA off, will that affect very much as regards SeaMonkey's
    > running?

    no, SM will continue running, it just won't show websites
    with java in it.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread