AVG Extensions and FF3 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on AVG Extensions and FF3 - Mozilla ; I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next to them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AVG Extensions and FF3

  1. AVG Extensions and FF3

    I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox
    installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next to
    them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be incompatible
    with FF3. [Another thread suggests they may crash the browser....).

    But, UNINSTALL is grey-ed out. How do I actually remove these 2 components?

    AGB

  2. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3

    "AGB" wrote in message news:M82dnQKc_K03nvjVnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox
    > installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next to
    > them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be incompatible
    > with FF3. [Another thread suggests they may crash the browser....).
    >
    > But, UNINSTALL is grey-ed out. How do I actually remove these 2 components?


    It's also covered on Grisoft's FAQ, as if someone is going to
    look there beforehand.

    Removal is covered in "Problematic Extensions" document, for
    the extension see
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    It is installed like a plug-in so it applies to all browsers, and to
    all of your Firefox profiles. The removal instructions work well,
    be sure to look at the link at the status bar before actually going to
    the link, because you need to pick out the specific FAQ number.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie, extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm


  3. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3

    On 6/27/2008 11:58 AM eastern, David McRitchie wrote:

    > It's also covered on Grisoft's FAQ, as if someone is going to
    > look there beforehand.
    >
    > Removal is covered in "Problematic Extensions" document, for
    > the extension see
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >
    > It is installed like a plug-in so it applies to all browsers, and to
    > all of your Firefox profiles. The removal instructions work well,
    > be sure to look at the link at the status bar before actually going to
    > the link, because you need to pick out the specific FAQ number.


    Thanks, David - Does indeed work well.
    CTinCT

  4. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "AGB" wrote in message
    > news:M82dnQKc_K03nvjVnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox
    >> installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next
    >> to them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be
    >> incompatible with FF3. [Another thread suggests they may crash the
    >> browser....).
    >>
    >> But, UNINSTALL is grey-ed out. How do I actually remove these 2
    >> components?

    >
    > It's also covered on Grisoft's FAQ, as if someone is going to
    > look there beforehand.
    >
    > Removal is covered in "Problematic Extensions" document, for
    > the extension see
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >
    > It is installed like a plug-in so it applies to all browsers, and to
    > all of your Firefox profiles. The removal instructions work well,
    > be sure to look at the link at the status bar before actually going to
    > the link, because you need to pick out the specific FAQ number.
    >



    Thanks for that - this group is so much easier than "reading the
    instructions"!

    To cut to the chase for anyone with AVG / FF3 issues, the thing is:

    - Shut FF
    - Re-run your AVG SetUp program (you may need to go to AVG to download
    the latest version; though if you still have a SetUp file that you've
    run recently, that will work too).
    - AVG SetUP will run its normal stuff, to which you say YES, as usual.
    At a certain point it will detect that you already have AVG installed,
    and offer you the option to alter or repair the installation.
    - Choose the Alter option, and in the next screen UNCHECK the AVG
    SafeSearch option (depending on exactly whcih AVG you have, it's called
    slightly different things, but it's pretty clear either way). Then tell
    AVG to continue.
    - You'll need to re-boot the system when it's finished.
    - I found that when re-started, AVG was giving ERROR alerts - fixed by
    running AVG UPDATE (I had to do it twice.......). Maybe that's because
    I ran a 2-day old AVG installation file, and it therefore backtracked my
    AVG by a couple of releases. No big deal (and faster than downloading
    the whole file again).
    - If you now look at FFox3 TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS, the AVG
    extension will have vanished, and all should be well.

    AGB

  5. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3


    "AGB" wrote in message
    news:UJidnaEYgq8CvPjVnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "AGB" wrote in message
    >> news:M82dnQKc_K03nvjVnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox
    >>> installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next to
    >>> them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be incompatible
    >>> with FF3. [Another thread suggests they may crash the browser....).
    >>>
    >>> But, UNINSTALL is grey-ed out. How do I actually remove these 2
    >>> components?

    >>
    >> It's also covered on Grisoft's FAQ, as if someone is going to
    >> look there beforehand.
    >>
    >> Removal is covered in "Problematic Extensions" document, for
    >> the extension see
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >>
    >> It is installed like a plug-in so it applies to all browsers, and to
    >> all of your Firefox profiles. The removal instructions work well,
    >> be sure to look at the link at the status bar before actually going to
    >> the link, because you need to pick out the specific FAQ number.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Thanks for that - this group is so much easier than "reading the
    > instructions"!
    >
    > To cut to the chase for anyone with AVG / FF3 issues, the thing is:
    >
    > - Shut FF
    > - Re-run your AVG SetUp program (you may need to go to AVG to download the
    > latest version; though if you still have a SetUp file that you've run
    > recently, that will work too).
    > - AVG SetUP will run its normal stuff, to which you say YES, as usual. At
    > a certain point it will detect that you already have AVG installed, and
    > offer you the option to alter or repair the installation.
    > - Choose the Alter option, and in the next screen UNCHECK the AVG
    > SafeSearch option (depending on exactly whcih AVG you have, it's called
    > slightly different things, but it's pretty clear either way). Then tell
    > AVG to continue.
    > - You'll need to re-boot the system when it's finished.
    > - I found that when re-started, AVG was giving ERROR alerts - fixed by
    > running AVG UPDATE (I had to do it twice.......). Maybe that's because I
    > ran a 2-day old AVG installation file, and it therefore backtracked my AVG
    > by a couple of releases. No big deal (and faster than downloading the
    > whole file again).
    > - If you now look at FFox3 TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS, the AVG extension
    > will have vanished, and all should be well.
    >
    > AGB


    I am at the Repair Module Selection screen right now and the only items
    shown are the E-mail Scanner and the Plugin for Microsoft Office
    2000XP/2003/2007.

    Do your instructions apply to AVG Free?

    Thank you.



  6. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3

    "Jack Gillis" ..
    >
    > I am at the Repair Module Selection screen right now and the only items
    > shown are the E-mail Scanner and the Plugin for Microsoft Office
    > 2000XP/2003/2007.
    >
    > Do your instructions apply to AVG Free?


    Yes they do. Seems strange that "Link Scanner" is not listed.
    First of all did you have the "AVG Safe Search" extension
    listed in your add-ons. If you didn't then perhaps you never upgraded
    AVG Free to 8.0.101 and are still on 7 check Help, about. or perhaps
    the title bar if you are in the midst of running Repair.

  7. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3


    "David McRitchie" wrote in message
    news:HtmdndTAJ5rh7fjVnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > "Jack Gillis" ..
    >>
    >> I am at the Repair Module Selection screen right now and the only items
    >> shown are the E-mail Scanner and the Plugin for Microsoft Office
    >> 2000XP/2003/2007.
    >>
    >> Do your instructions apply to AVG Free?

    >
    > Yes they do. Seems strange that "Link Scanner" is not listed. First
    > of all did you have the "AVG Safe Search" extension
    > listed in your add-ons. If you didn't then perhaps you never upgraded
    > AVG Free to 8.0.101 and are still on 7 check Help, about. or
    > perhaps
    > the title bar if you are in the midst of running Repair.



    Thank you.

    The title bar of the window says AVG Free 8.0 build 100 (4/23/2008) and AVG
    Safe Search appears in the extension list of FF3.

    Perhaps I should go looking for 8.0.101?



  8. Re: AVG Extensions and FF3

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > "AGB" wrote in message
    > news:UJidnaEYgq8CvPjVnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> David McRitchie wrote:
    >>> "AGB" wrote in message
    >>> news:M82dnQKc_K03nvjVnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>> I have AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar on my various FFox
    >>>> installations (1 x FF3; 2 x FF2). In FF3 both have a red alert next to
    >>>> them (in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS) and are said to be incompatible
    >>>> with FF3. [Another thread suggests they may crash the browser....).
    >>>>
    >>>> But, UNINSTALL is grey-ed out. How do I actually remove these 2
    >>>> components?
    >>> It's also covered on Grisoft's FAQ, as if someone is going to
    >>> look there beforehand.
    >>>
    >>> Removal is covered in "Problematic Extensions" document, for
    >>> the extension see
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >>>
    >>> It is installed like a plug-in so it applies to all browsers, and to
    >>> all of your Firefox profiles. The removal instructions work well,
    >>> be sure to look at the link at the status bar before actually going to
    >>> the link, because you need to pick out the specific FAQ number.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Thanks for that - this group is so much easier than "reading the
    >> instructions"!
    >>
    >> To cut to the chase for anyone with AVG / FF3 issues, the thing is:
    >>
    >> - Shut FF
    >> - Re-run your AVG SetUp program (you may need to go to AVG to download the
    >> latest version; though if you still have a SetUp file that you've run
    >> recently, that will work too).
    >> - AVG SetUP will run its normal stuff, to which you say YES, as usual. At
    >> a certain point it will detect that you already have AVG installed, and
    >> offer you the option to alter or repair the installation.
    >> - Choose the Alter option, and in the next screen UNCHECK the AVG
    >> SafeSearch option (depending on exactly whcih AVG you have, it's called
    >> slightly different things, but it's pretty clear either way). Then tell
    >> AVG to continue.
    >> - You'll need to re-boot the system when it's finished.
    >> - I found that when re-started, AVG was giving ERROR alerts - fixed by
    >> running AVG UPDATE (I had to do it twice.......). Maybe that's because I
    >> ran a 2-day old AVG installation file, and it therefore backtracked my AVG
    >> by a couple of releases. No big deal (and faster than downloading the
    >> whole file again).
    >> - If you now look at FFox3 TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS, the AVG extension
    >> will have vanished, and all should be well.
    >>
    >> AGB

    >
    > I am at the Repair Module Selection screen right now and the only items
    > shown are the E-mail Scanner and the Plugin for Microsoft Office
    > 2000XP/2003/2007.
    >
    > Do your instructions apply to AVG Free?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    >



    Yes - I was using AVG Free for both my FFox3 new installations. As
    someone else said, check that you do actually have the faulty Safe
    Search plug-in installed by looking in TOOLS - ADD-ONS - EXTENSIONS.

    Also - and I don't have an AVG version in front of me to check the
    wording 100% - the correction is made *not* in the REPAIR option that
    AGV offers you when the .exe file runs, but in the option above that on
    the screen which asks if you want to add to, alter, or uninstall an
    element of AVG. When you run that option, a couple of screens later you
    get to an "uncheck elements that you want to remove" screen, and that's
    where I found the Safe Search box.

    AGB

+ Reply to Thread