junk mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on junk mail - Mozilla ; No answer to my question on this so I'll ask again. While the junk mail filter in TB is good, it seems to have significant limitations. I'm not getting anything like the 99.5% accuracy which others report. After using TB ...

  1. junk mail

    No answer to my question on this so I'll ask again.

    While the junk mail filter in TB is good, it seems to have significant
    limitations. I'm not getting anything like the 99.5% accuracy which
    others report. After using TB for almost 4 months now with both of my
    accounts set to enable junk mail filtering and automatically move junk
    mail to the junk folder, every day there are several junk messages which
    appear in my InBox. Some days these messages amount to about 20-30% of
    the mail I receive; other days they're only 5-10% of my total mail.
    They are always from the same merchants, big-box stores or online
    catalog sellers from whom I've bought things. They're marked as junk but
    are not moved to the junk folder. There are other messages which are
    clearly junk but which must be manually marked as junk . In each case, I
    manually mark the message(s) as junk if necessary and manually move each
    one to the junk folder. By now I've probably done this at least many
    dozens of times for each of these addresses - and they're always the
    same senders. Next time I open mail, I'm likely to get more junk mail
    from one or more of these same senders.

    Is there any remedy for this other than creating a separate filter for
    each of these several senders? Yes, I know creating filters manually is
    strongly discouraged - but I don't know what else to do.

    Bill Hansen

  2. Re: junk mail

    On 6/27/2008 8:37 AM bill hansen plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
    and said:
    > No answer to my question on this so I'll ask again.
    >
    > While the junk mail filter in TB is good, it seems to have significant
    > limitations. I'm not getting anything like the 99.5% accuracy which
    > others report. After using TB for almost 4 months now with both of my
    > accounts set to enable junk mail filtering and automatically move junk
    > mail to the junk folder, every day there are several junk messages which
    > appear in my InBox. Some days these messages amount to about 20-30% of
    > the mail I receive; other days they're only 5-10% of my total mail.
    > They are always from the same merchants, big-box stores or online
    > catalog sellers from whom I've bought things. They're marked as junk but
    > are not moved to the junk folder. There are other messages which are
    > clearly junk but which must be manually marked as junk . In each case, I
    > manually mark the message(s) as junk if necessary and manually move each
    > one to the junk folder. By now I've probably done this at least many
    > dozens of times for each of these addresses - and they're always the
    > same senders. Next time I open mail, I'm likely to get more junk mail
    > from one or more of these same senders.
    >
    > Is there any remedy for this other than creating a separate filter for
    > each of these several senders? Yes, I know creating filters manually is
    > strongly discouraged - but I don't know what else to do.
    >
    > Bill Hansen

    Bill,

    I've never had any confidence in TB Junk Mail Filter. My ISP,
    Earthlink.net provides a far superior, and versatile tool. It's called
    Earthlink Spam blocker. There are several spam blocking free software
    available at download.com and other locations.

    You don't have to use Earthlink to find a good product. It's just
    convenient for me. The highest level of security with Earthlink
    Spamblocker lets only those email addresses in your address book
    through. Known Spam goes into the "Known Spam" folder and gets deleted.
    The mail, which may be acceptable e-mail, that isn't yet in your address
    book, can be viewed in the "Suspicious Mail" folder.

    There are 4 options. Move to Inbox and Put the e-mail address in your
    address book. The second just moves the e-mail into your Inbox. The
    third, deletes the mail and the fourth reports the mail as spam. If
    enough users report an address as spam it gets dumped into the "Known
    Spam" folder. Then it goes bye bye.

    There are spam blocking applications out there that may be more
    simplified. They just work on barring any mail that isn't in your
    address book and giving you the options to add an address if it's
    something you'd like to read.

    --
    ________
    Brian M. Kochera

    mailto:brian1951@earthlink.net

  3. Re: junk mail

    On 06/27/2008 05:37 AM bill hansen scribbled:

    > No answer to my question on this so I'll ask again.
    >
    > While the junk mail filter in TB is good, it seems to have significant
    > limitations. I'm not getting anything like the 99.5% accuracy which
    > others report. After using TB for almost 4 months now with both of my
    > accounts set to enable junk mail filtering and automatically move junk
    > mail to the junk folder, every day there are several junk messages which
    > appear in my InBox. Some days these messages amount to about 20-30% of
    > the mail I receive; other days they're only 5-10% of my total mail.
    > They are always from the same merchants, big-box stores or online
    > catalog sellers from whom I've bought things. They're marked as junk but
    > are not moved to the junk folder. There are other messages which are
    > clearly junk but which must be manually marked as junk . In each case, I
    > manually mark the message(s) as junk if necessary and manually move each
    > one to the junk folder. By now I've probably done this at least many
    > dozens of times for each of these addresses - and they're always the
    > same senders. Next time I open mail, I'm likely to get more junk mail
    > from one or more of these same senders.
    >
    > Is there any remedy for this other than creating a separate filter for
    > each of these several senders? Yes, I know creating filters manually is
    > strongly discouraged - but I don't know what else to do.
    >
    > Bill Hansen

    Try starting off from scratch by resetting your junk controls -
    something /may/ have corrupted your .dat file.
    edit>prefs>privacy>junk reset training data

    Better to download and install spampal - it will get closer to that 99%
    number than Tbird,

  4. Re: junk mail

    bill hansen wrote:
    > No answer to my question on this so I'll ask again.
    >
    > While the junk mail filter in TB is good, it seems to have significant
    > limitations. I'm not getting anything like the 99.5% accuracy which
    > others report. After using TB for almost 4 months now with both of my
    > accounts set to enable junk mail filtering and automatically move junk
    > mail to the junk folder, every day there are several junk messages which
    > appear in my InBox. Some days these messages amount to about 20-30% of
    > the mail I receive; other days they're only 5-10% of my total mail.
    > They are always from the same merchants, big-box stores or online
    > catalog sellers from whom I've bought things. They're marked as junk but
    > are not moved to the junk folder. There are other messages which are
    > clearly junk but which must be manually marked as junk . In each case, I
    > manually mark the message(s) as junk if necessary and manually move each
    > one to the junk folder. By now I've probably done this at least many
    > dozens of times for each of these addresses - and they're always the
    > same senders. Next time I open mail, I'm likely to get more junk mail
    > from one or more of these same senders.
    >
    > Is there any remedy for this other than creating a separate filter for
    > each of these several senders? Yes, I know creating filters manually is
    > strongly discouraged - but I don't know what else to do.
    >
    > Bill Hansen

    You have to tell Thunderbird to move the junk messages to the Junk
    folder. Look in Options/Preferences > Privacy > Junk. There is a
    setting there where you set Tbird to move the junk to Junk.

+ Reply to Thread