Installing FF3 on a new computer - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Installing FF3 on a new computer - Mozilla ; I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth importing. Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine ...

  1. Installing FF3 on a new computer

    I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine
    has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth
    importing.

    Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the user.js
    file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the profile on the
    laptop?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine
    > has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth
    > importing.
    >
    > Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    > network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the user.js
    > file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the profile on the
    > laptop?
    >
    > Thank you.

    FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's: places.sqlite.

    The best way to export then is:
    On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file to
    the new laptop;
    on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE

  3. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    * Vic Moz Garcia wrote, On 6/26/2008 15:26:
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no
    >> Favorites worth importing.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    >> profile on the laptop?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    > FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's: places.sqlite.
    >
    > The best way to export then is:
    > On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file to
    > the new laptop;
    > on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE

    Interesting -- I copied bookmarks.html from FX2.0.0.14 into 3.0 and the
    bookmarks are seen and are working. Has this screwed something up?
    Should I delete that file, and export/import as you say?

    For Jack's info, a few more I copied over were persdict.dat, key3.db,
    signons1.txt, signons2.txt, cookies.txt, hostperm.1, and history.dat.

    Info gleaned from http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

    Miles

  4. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    Miles wrote:
    > * Vic Moz Garcia wrote, On 6/26/2008 15:26:
    >> Jack Gillis wrote:
    >>> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >>> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no
    >>> Favorites worth importing.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >>> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >>> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in
    >>> the profile on the laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>

    >> FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's:
    >> places.sqlite.
    >>
    >> The best way to export then is:
    >> On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file
    >> to the new laptop;
    >> on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE

    > Interesting -- I copied bookmarks.html from FX2.0.0.14 into 3.0 and
    > the bookmarks are seen and are working. Has this screwed something
    > up? Should I delete that file, and export/import as you say?

    Should be OK, no need to redo it, just be sure that all the bmarks are
    in, if you see inside of your profile the file places.sqlite should be
    at least 6 times bigger than your bookmarks.html, that means the former
    had been Imported into the new. Also note that the new backups are
    called: bookmarks.json, and they are really small files.

    > For Jack's info, a few more I copied over were persdict.dat, key3.db,
    > signons1.txt, signons2.txt, cookies.txt, hostperm.1, and history.dat.

    That should be OK too, if FF3 does not like the format, it will create a
    new one.

    > Info gleaned from http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
    >
    > Miles

  5. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    "Jack Gillis" wrote in message news:HNqdnf7yb4phmPnVnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine
    > has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth
    > importing.
    >
    > Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    > network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the user.js
    > file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the profile on the
    > laptop?

    Yes, you forgot about your passwords.

    You will have to delete places.sqlite so that Firefox will rebuild it from
    your bookmarks.html that you will have to include.

    Once Firefox has the places.sqlite file it has no need of your bookmarks.html
    file.

    Extra reading material:
    To start over but with your really important files copied into new Fx3 profile
    copy over your password files and bookmarks into the new Fx3 profile
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...an+old+profile
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...0838&forumId=1

    --

  6. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine
    > has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth
    > importing.
    >
    > Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    > network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the user.js
    > file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the profile on the
    > laptop?
    >
    > Thank you.

    It's not that simple. First, Firefox 3 uses an entirely different type
    of bookmark system.
    Install Firefox 3 on the new machine.
    Locate the profile it created, then copy all the files from the old
    profile (where ever it is) into the new profile, replacing the files
    Firefox 3 just made.
    You may have to make some changes to the bookmarks to get your bookmarks
    toolbar to work (I did).
    Good luck.

  7. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    "Vic Moz Garcia" wrote in message
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites
    >> worth importing.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    >> profile on the laptop?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    > FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's:
    > places.sqlite.
    >
    > The best way to export then is:
    > On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file to
    > the new laptop;
    > on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE

    Oooh! I didn't know that. I will do as you suggested but it almost seems
    too simple.

    Thank you very much.

  8. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    On 27.06.2008 04:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jack Gillis to
    generate the following:? :
    > "Vic Moz Garcia" wrote in message
    >
    >> Jack Gillis wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >>> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites
    >>> worth importing.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >>> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >>> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    >>> profile on the laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>

    >> FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's:
    >> places.sqlite.
    >>
    >> The best way to export then is:
    >> On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file to
    >> the new laptop;
    >> on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE
    >>

    > Oooh! I didn't know that. I will do as you suggested but it almost seems
    > too simple.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    as you say your laptop in on a LAN, you can run the IMPORT directly,
    entering the bookmarks.html location of the *old* installation.

    reg

  9. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    Thanks to all who replied. I finally decided not to limit the process to
    just the Bookmarks but to just copy the 'old' profile to the laptop thanks
    to all the information everyone contributed. I was concerned that the 'old'
    profile was machine specific but it didn't work out to be the case.

    Things are working fine now with the exception 1 or 2 sites that the Adobe
    Flash player doesn't seem to like. I can live without them

    Thanks again.

    "Jack Gillis" wrote in message
    news:HNqdnf7yb4phmPnVnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That machine
    >has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no Favorites worth
    >importing.
    >
    > Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    > network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    > user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    > profile on the laptop?
    >
    > Thank you.

  10. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no
    >> Favorites worth importing.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    >> profile on the laptop?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    > It's not that simple. First, Firefox 3 uses an entirely different type
    > of bookmark system.
    > Install Firefox 3 on the new machine.
    > Locate the profile it created, then copy all the files from the old
    > profile (where ever it is) into the new profile, replacing the files
    > Firefox 3 just made.
    > You may have to make some changes to the bookmarks to get your bookmarks
    > toolbar to work (I did).
    > Good luck.

    Thanks heaven FoxMarks deals with all of this silently! I've just put
    FF3 on a new Vista machine, synched up with FMarks to two other FF
    2.0.014 installations. No problem at all - FMarks has each machine with
    the same Bookmarks in the blink of an eye.......

    Though that darned Unsorted Bookmarks folder floats endlessly rounf the
    system......

    AGB

  11. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    "AGB" wrote in message
    news:y8adnSfOI7btnPjVnZ2dnUVZ_tninZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Jack Gillis wrote:
    >>> I want to install FF3 on a new laptop computer (WinXP-SP3.) That
    >>> machine has never had a Firefox on it, only IE and there are no
    >>> Favorites worth importing.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to import FF3's bookmarks from another machine on the
    >>> network? Can I just copy the FF3 bookmarks.html file as well as the
    >>> user.js file from the network machine to the appropriate place in the
    >>> profile on the laptop?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>

    >> It's not that simple. First, Firefox 3 uses an entirely different type
    >> of bookmark system.
    >> Install Firefox 3 on the new machine.
    >> Locate the profile it created, then copy all the files from the old
    >> profile (where ever it is) into the new profile, replacing the files
    >> Firefox 3 just made.
    >> You may have to make some changes to the bookmarks to get your bookmarks
    >> toolbar to work (I did).
    >> Good luck.

    > Thanks heaven FoxMarks deals with all of this silently! I've just put FF3
    > on a new Vista machine, synched up with FMarks to two other FF 2.0.014
    > installations. No problem at all - FMarks has each machine with the same
    > Bookmarks in the blink of an eye.......
    >
    > Though that darned Unsorted Bookmarks folder floats endlessly rounf the
    > system......
    >
    > AGB

    I cannot make any sense at all about Unsorted Bookmarks.

  12. Re: Installing FF3 on a new computer

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 27.06.2008 04:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jack Gillis
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> "Vic Moz Garcia" wrote in message

    >>> FF3 does NOT use Bookmarks.html as the bookmarks file, it's:
    >>> places.sqlite.
    >>>
    >>> The best way to export then is:
    >>> On your current FF: EXPORT bookmarks as abook.html, copy that file
    >>> to the new laptop;
    >>> on new laptop: IMPORT bookmarks from file: abook.html ... DONE
    >>>

    >> Oooh! I didn't know that. I will do as you suggested but it almost
    >> seems
    >> too simple.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.
    >>

    > as you say your laptop in on a LAN, you can run the IMPORT directly,
    > entering the bookmarks.html location of the *old* installation.
    >
    > reg

    As a person with 28 years experience supporting computers.... " Never,
    Ever, Nunca " play with the original copy of ANYTHING, make a backup,
    them apply whatever you want to that backup copy.

    YES **IT happened.

+ Reply to Thread