Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me? - Mozilla ; I just tried Seamonkey. Is it just me, or why does the Seamonkey newsreader download posts up to 5x slower than Thunderbird? Alos, I like the IRC feature. I don't like the browser because it can't take the McAfee Siteadvisor ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    I just tried Seamonkey. Is it just me, or why does the Seamonkey
    newsreader download posts up to 5x slower than Thunderbird?

    Alos, I like the IRC feature. I don't like the browser because it
    can't take the McAfee Siteadvisor add-on, which only work for IE,
    Firefox, and the now defunct Netscape.

  2. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    cptcanuck2 wrote:
    > I just tried Seamonkey. Is it just me, or why does the Seamonkey
    > newsreader download posts up to 5x slower than Thunderbird?

    nope, I find it about the same

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> I just tried Seamonkey. Is it just me, or why does the Seamonkey
    >> newsreader download posts up to 5x slower than Thunderbird?

    > nope, I find it about the same

    I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with Vista.

  4. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >>> I just tried Seamonkey. Is it just me, or why does the Seamonkey
    >>> newsreader download posts up to 5x slower than Thunderbird?

    >> nope, I find it about the same
    >>

    > I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with Vista.

    Sorry, my name is not user...

  5. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    cptcanuck2 wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> nope, I find it about the same
    >>>

    >> I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with Vista.

    > Sorry, my name is not user...

    SM works with vista.

    Ramblings: I'm on XP, and I had problems with one little
    program. It just wouldn't work. It'd click on it and I saw
    the splash screen but no problem. The Task Manager didn't
    show it. I knew absolutely nothing about xp. I just got it
    back in January of this year. All I knew was win98. So,
    after some fiddling around with xp, I discovered something
    interesting. If I right click on the icon to start the
    problem program, then select Properties, I noticed a tab
    called Compatibility. Then I read a section that said: "Run
    this program in compatiblity mode for:" and I could select
    sin95, win98/me, win NT, or win 2000. I selected win98 and
    the program works!!!! I can now use the program with no
    problems. It took me all of three minutes to find that.
    What I'm trying to say, is perhaps vista has the same thing
    you can try.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with
    >>> Vista.

    >> Sorry, my name is not user...

    > SM works with vista.
    >
    > Ramblings: I'm on XP, and I had problems with one little program. It
    > just wouldn't work. It'd click on it and I saw the splash screen but no
    > problem. The Task Manager didn't show it. I knew absolutely nothing
    > about xp. I just got it back in January of this year. All I knew was
    > win98. So, after some fiddling around with xp, I discovered something
    > interesting. If I right click on the icon to start the problem program,
    > then select Properties, I noticed a tab called Compatibility. Then I
    > read a section that said: "Run this program in compatiblity mode for:"
    > and I could select sin95, win98/me, win NT, or win 2000. I selected
    > win98 and the program works!!!! I can now use the program with no
    > problems. It took me all of three minutes to find that. What I'm trying
    > to say, is perhaps vista has the same thing you can try.

    I tried it, and "Vista" isn't in the list for Seamonkey > properties,
    but it isn't in the list for Thunderbird > properties either?

  7. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    cptcanuck2 wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...

    >> SM works with vista.
    >>
    >> Ramblings: I'm on XP, and I had problems with one little program. It
    >> just wouldn't work. It'd click on it and I saw the splash screen but no
    >> problem. The Task Manager didn't show it. I knew absolutely nothing
    >> about xp. I just got it back in January of this year. All I knew was
    >> win98. So, after some fiddling around with xp, I discovered something
    >> interesting. If I right click on the icon to start the problem program,
    >> then select Properties, I noticed a tab called Compatibility. Then I
    >> read a section that said: "Run this program in compatiblity mode for:"
    >> and I could select sin95, win98/me, win NT, or win 2000. I selected
    >> win98 and the program works!!!! I can now use the program with no
    >> problems. It took me all of three minutes to find that. What I'm trying
    >> to say, is perhaps vista has the same thing you can try.
    >>

    > I tried it, and "Vista" isn't in the list for Seamonkey > properties,
    > but it isn't in the list for Thunderbird > properties either?

    thats not what I was trying to say. I'll try again: even
    though I have winxp, and the program I use works only with
    win98, and not with xp, I used the compatibility mode, and
    set it to win98, and the program ran perfectly. In
    otherwords, the program thinks I'm running it under win98
    rather than xp.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> SM works with vista.
    >>>
    >>> Ramblings: I'm on XP, and I had problems with one little program. It
    >>> just wouldn't work. It'd click on it and I saw the splash screen but
    >>> no problem. The Task Manager didn't show it. I knew absolutely
    >>> nothing about xp. I just got it back in January of this year. All I
    >>> knew was win98. So, after some fiddling around with xp, I discovered
    >>> something interesting. If I right click on the icon to start the
    >>> problem program, then select Properties, I noticed a tab called
    >>> Compatibility. Then I read a section that said: "Run this program in
    >>> compatiblity mode for:" and I could select sin95, win98/me, win NT,
    >>> or win 2000. I selected win98 and the program works!!!! I can now
    >>> use the program with no problems. It took me all of three minutes to
    >>> find that. What I'm trying to say, is perhaps vista has the same
    >>> thing you can try.
    >>>

    >> I tried it, and "Vista" isn't in the list for Seamonkey > properties,
    >> but it isn't in the list for Thunderbird > properties either?

    > thats not what I was trying to say. I'll try again: even though I have
    > winxp, and the program I use works only with win98, and not with xp, I
    > used the compatibility mode, and set it to win98, and the program ran
    > perfectly. In otherwords, the program thinks I'm running it under win98
    > rather than xp.

    I agree with you Peter. What i have to say is that under Vista OS you
    never need to run for a compatibility with Vista, because we are under
    vista. The compatibility list is "only" a backward compatibility :-)

  9. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> SM works with vista.
    >>>
    >>> Ramblings: I'm on XP, and I had problems with one little program. It
    >>> just wouldn't work. It'd click on it and I saw the splash screen but
    >>> no problem. The Task Manager didn't show it. I knew absolutely
    >>> nothing about xp. I just got it back in January of this year. All I
    >>> knew was win98. So, after some fiddling around with xp, I discovered
    >>> something interesting. If I right click on the icon to start the
    >>> problem program, then select Properties, I noticed a tab called
    >>> Compatibility. Then I read a section that said: "Run this program in
    >>> compatiblity mode for:" and I could select sin95, win98/me, win NT,
    >>> or win 2000. I selected win98 and the program works!!!! I can now
    >>> use the program with no problems. It took me all of three minutes to
    >>> find that. What I'm trying to say, is perhaps vista has the same
    >>> thing you can try.
    >>>

    >> I tried it, and "Vista" isn't in the list for Seamonkey > properties,
    >> but it isn't in the list for Thunderbird > properties either?

    > thats not what I was trying to say. I'll try again: even though I have
    > winxp, and the program I use works only with win98, and not with xp, I
    > used the compatibility mode, and set it to win98, and the program ran
    > perfectly. In otherwords, the program thinks I'm running it under win98
    > rather than xp.

    Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I tried your suggestion, and it
    seemed to make things worse to the point of SM needing 13 s to download
    a text post.

  10. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    cptcanuck2 wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> I tried it, and "Vista" isn't in the list for Seamonkey > properties,
    >>> but it isn't in the list for Thunderbird > properties either?

    >> thats not what I was trying to say. I'll try again: even though I
    >> have winxp, and the program I use works only with win98, and not with
    >> xp, I used the compatibility mode, and set it to win98, and the
    >> program ran perfectly. In otherwords, the program thinks I'm running
    >> it under win98 rather than xp.
    >>

    > Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I tried your suggestion, and it
    > seemed to make things worse to the point of SM needing 13 s to download
    > a text post.

    I just tried Thunderbird. It takes 1/2 s to download a post, and SM
    takes 9-13 s to download the same post? That's OK. I'll just use
    Thunderbird. I'll just uses SM for Chatzilla's IRC them.

  11. Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    cptcanuck2 wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> nope, I find it about the same
    >>>

    >> I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with
    >> Vista.

    > Sorry, my name is not user...

    Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...

    Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    Captain in what? The RCMP?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  12. OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with
    >>> Vista.

    >> Sorry, my name is not user...

    > Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >
    > Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    > Captain in what? The RCMP?

    he's probably referring to this:
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg

    but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes
    to The Red Panda:
    http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176

    followup to mozilla.general

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > cptcanuck2 wrote:
    >> user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I use Vista o.s. . I notice a lot of programs still don't work with
    >>> Vista.

    >> Sorry, my name is not user...

    > Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >
    > Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    > Captain in what? The RCMP?

    he's probably referring to this:
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg

    but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes
    to The Red Panda:
    http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176

    followup to mozilla.general

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: OT: Re: Am I the superhero

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...

    >> Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    >> Captain in what? The RCMP?
    >>

    > he's probably referring to this:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg
    >
    > but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes to The Red
    > Panda: http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176
    >
    > followup to mozilla.general

    Yes, I am Captain Canuck the superhero. I own that 1st issue comic book
    in your link from when I was a kid.

  15. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...

    >> Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    >> Captain in what? The RCMP?
    >>

    > he's probably referring to this:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg
    >
    > but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes to The Red
    > Panda: http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176
    >
    > followup to mozilla.general

    Yes, I am Captain Canuck, the Canadian superhero, and I own the 1st
    issue of that comic book in your link, Captain Canuck.

  16. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:31:37 -07001, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...

    >> Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    >> Captain in what? The RCMP?
    >>

    > he's probably referring to this:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg
    >
    > but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes
    > to The Red Panda:
    > http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176
    >
    > followup to mozilla.general

    I have fond memories of Northguard myself.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Procrastination means never having to say you're sorry.

  17. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    this one: http://www.northguard.com/

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  18. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...

    >> Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    >> Captain in what? The RCMP?
    >>

    > he's probably referring to this:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg
    >
    > but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes to The Red
    > Panda: http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176
    >
    > followup to mozilla.general

    Yes, I am the Canadian superhero Captain Canuck. I own that 1st comic
    book issue of Captain Canuck, which is in your link, from when I was a kid.

  19. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:18:53 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Philip Chee wrote:

    >> I have fond memories of Northguard myself.

    > this one: http://www.northguard.com/

    Correct.

    Phil (wants a Uniband)

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]I'm not arrogant, I'm RIGHT!

  20. Re: OT: Re: Seamonkey newsreader 5x slower than Thunderbird for me?

    On 26.06.2008 02:31, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> cptcanuck2 wrote:

    >>> Sorry, my name is not user...
    >>>

    >> Which leaves me to puzzle out from your sender id ...
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Captain Canuck 2? Well, ok, my wife's Canadian so ok. but, uh,
    >> Captain in what? The RCMP?
    >>

    > he's probably referring to this:
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002284-v6.jpg
    > http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...c002287-v6.jpg
    >
    > but, he's not Canada's Greatest Superhero. That honor goes
    > to The Red Panda:
    > http://decoderring.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=340176

    Grant - did you run the audio link, middle right of that page??

    reg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast