Need a method to delete items in newsgroups - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Need a method to delete items in newsgroups - Mozilla ; To Peter: Is there a method available to delete items from the newsgroups in Seamonkey.exe? Will there be one in a future version?...

  1. Need a method to delete items in newsgroups

    To Peter: Is there a method available to delete items from the
    newsgroups in Seamonkey.exe? Will there be one in a future version?

  2. Re: Need a method to delete items in newsgroups

    John Boyle wrote:
    > To Peter: Is there a method available to delete items from the
    > newsgroups in Seamonkey.exe? Will there be one in a future version?

    You can't delete messages from newsgroups, as they don't
    belong to you. Messages are not downloaded to your
    computer. They reside on the server. If you download the
    messages for offline viewing, then I guess you could remove
    them, but I don't know. Never tried it. However, on some
    servers, you can delete _your own message_. On others, when
    you delete your own message, all you're doing is removing it
    from your view, the whole world still sees it.

    If you don't want to see certain messages, then create a
    message filter [under Tools]. Note: newsgroup filters only
    work with new messages, not ones already viewed and/or
    downloaded. *Unless* you delete the *.msf file for that
    newsgroup, and you re-download the messages again.

    And one other point: read my sig, especially the *important*
    part.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Need a method to delete items in newsgroups

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > John Boyle wrote:
    >> To Peter: Is there a method available to delete items from the
    >> newsgroups in Seamonkey.exe? Will there be one in a future version?

    > You can't delete messages from newsgroups, as they don't belong to you.
    > Messages are not downloaded to your computer. They reside on the
    > server. If you download the messages for offline viewing, then I guess
    > you could remove them, but I don't know. Never tried it. However, on
    > some servers, you can delete _your own message_. On others, when you
    > delete your own message, all you're doing is removing it from your view,
    > the whole world still sees it.
    >
    > If you don't want to see certain messages, then create a message filter
    > [under Tools]. Note: newsgroup filters only work with new messages, not
    > ones already viewed and/or downloaded. *Unless* you delete the *.msf
    > file for that newsgroup, and you re-download the messages again.
    >
    > And one other point: read my sig, especially the *important* part.

    Some other newsreaders permit you, not to delete "your" post, but delete
    any post. The last delete verb is not a delete action on the server(s)
    but only delete the temp copy of the post on the pc.(exactly the same
    "delete" action performed automatically after the retention delay period).

  4. Re: Need a method to delete items in newsgroups

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > And one other point: read my sig, especially the *important*
    > part.

    if you want to contact me, do it through the newsgroups, not
    email.

    And a sig, see all that text below, that starts with a dash
    dash space [-- ], then the words

    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I
    cannot provide email help!!!!

    that is a sig.