Task and Calendar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Task and Calendar - Mozilla ; I am a newbie to OO and TB and just finding my way around. I have imported my email and contacts, no probs. I followed the instructions! for importing calendar and tasks from Outlook. the instructions said to export from ...

  1. Task and Calendar

    I am a newbie to OO and TB and just finding my way around.
    I have imported my email and contacts, no probs.

    I followed the instructions! for importing calendar and tasks from
    Outlook. the instructions said to export from Outlook as .csv which I did.

    the only way that I could see to import a .csv into TB was Tools >
    Import > Address books. problem is, thats exactly where they did import to.

    how do I import a .csv into tasks on TB?? I have been able to import
    calendar but do not see an option to import tasks.
    I spent all day going round the different help files etc. with no luck.

    Help much appreciated.

  2. Re: Task and Calendar

    Britusa scribbled the following on 22-Jun-08 16:10:
    > I am a newbie to OO and TB and just finding my way around.
    > I have imported my email and contacts, no probs.
    >
    > I followed the instructions! for importing calendar and tasks from
    > Outlook. the instructions said to export from Outlook as .csv which I did.
    >
    > the only way that I could see to import a .csv into TB was Tools >
    > Import > Address books. problem is, thats exactly where they did import to.
    >
    > how do I import a .csv into tasks on TB?? I have been able to import
    > calendar but do not see an option to import tasks.
    > I spent all day going round the different help files etc. with no luck.
    >
    > Help much appreciated.

    Tasks are held just like a calendar. Create a new calendar called, say,
    "Tasks" and import your tasks into it. The tasks will appear both in
    your calendar and on you tasks list. They will import best in .ics
    format. In .csv format, they import as a calendar event and not as a task.

  3. Re: Task and Calendar

    John Spence wrote:
    > Britusa scribbled the following on 22-Jun-08 16:10:
    >> I am a newbie to OO and TB and just finding my way around.
    >> I have imported my email and contacts, no probs.
    >>
    >> I followed the instructions! for importing calendar and tasks from
    >> Outlook. the instructions said to export from Outlook as .csv which I
    >> did.
    >>
    >> the only way that I could see to import a .csv into TB was Tools >
    >> Import > Address books. problem is, thats exactly where they did
    >> import to.
    >>
    >> how do I import a .csv into tasks on TB?? I have been able to import
    >> calendar but do not see an option to import tasks.
    >> I spent all day going round the different help files etc. with no luck.
    >>
    >> Help much appreciated.

    > Tasks are held just like a calendar. Create a new calendar called, say,
    > "Tasks" and import your tasks into it. The tasks will appear both in
    > your calendar and on you tasks list. They will import best in .ics
    > format. In .csv format, they import as a calendar event and not as a task.

    I'm exporting from Outlook and I don't have the option for .ics The only
    options I have to export are

    Comma Separated Values (DOS)
    Comma Separated Values (Windows)
    Microsoft Access
    Microsoft Excel
    Personal Folder File (.pst)
    Tab Separated Values (DOS)
    Tab Separated Values (Windows)

    I used Comma Separated Values (Windows). How can I convert to .ics??

    Thanks

  4. Re: Task and Calendar

    Britusa scribbled the following on 23-Jun-08 07:03:
    > John Spence wrote:
    >> Britusa scribbled the following on 22-Jun-08 16:10:
    >>> I am a newbie to OO and TB and just finding my way around.
    >>> I have imported my email and contacts, no probs.
    >>>
    >>> I followed the instructions! for importing calendar and tasks from
    >>> Outlook. the instructions said to export from Outlook as .csv which I
    >>> did.
    >>>
    >>> the only way that I could see to import a .csv into TB was Tools >
    >>> Import > Address books. problem is, thats exactly where they did
    >>> import to.
    >>>
    >>> how do I import a .csv into tasks on TB?? I have been able to import
    >>> calendar but do not see an option to import tasks.
    >>> I spent all day going round the different help files etc. with no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Help much appreciated.

    >> Tasks are held just like a calendar. Create a new calendar called,
    >> say, "Tasks" and import your tasks into it. The tasks will appear both
    >> in your calendar and on you tasks list. They will import best in .ics
    >> format. In .csv format, they import as a calendar event and not as a
    >> task.

    > I'm exporting from Outlook and I don't have the option for .ics The only
    > options I have to export are
    >
    > Comma Separated Values (DOS)
    > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
    > Microsoft Access
    > Microsoft Excel
    > Personal Folder File (.pst)
    > Tab Separated Values (DOS)
    > Tab Separated Values (Windows)
    >
    > I used Comma Separated Values (Windows). How can I convert to .ics??
    >
    > Thanks

    I hope that you don't have many tasks that you wish to import. There is
    software available to convert .csv files to .ics, but all are not free.
    Thunderbird/Lightning will only import tasks from .ics files, not .csv
    files. .ics files can discriminate between events and tasks, while .csv
    files can not. Lightning sees .csv files as events.

    Being an ex-programmer, I often pull schedules off the internet and
    import them as events or tasks to Lightning. I wrote a small AWK program
    to convert these Excel/.csv files to .ics files

    However, I have discovered something that might help. Try this:
    1. Create a new calendar in Lightning called say "Tasks".
    2. Import your .csv into that calendar.
    3. You have three buttons on the lower left labeled Mail, Calendar, and
    Tasks.
    4. Click on Calendar.
    5. Drag and drop each of the "events" to the Task button.
    6. This will convert these "events" to Tasks.
    7. If this doesn't work, at least they are in one calendar and you can
    delete the calendar called "Tasks".

    Let me know if you have any problems or questions, OK?

  5. Re: Task and Calendar

    John Spence wrote:
    > Britusa scribbled the following on 23-Jun-08 07:03:
    >> John Spence wrote:
    >>> Britusa scribbled the following on 22-Jun-08 16:10:

    >>> Tasks are held just like a calendar. Create a new calendar called,
    >>> say, "Tasks" and import your tasks into it. The tasks will appear
    >>> both in your calendar and on you tasks list. They will import best in
    >>> .ics format. In .csv format, they import as a calendar event and not
    >>> as a task.

    >> I'm exporting from Outlook and I don't have the option for .ics The
    >> only options I have to export are
    >>
    >> Comma Separated Values (DOS)
    >> Comma Separated Values (Windows)
    >> Microsoft Access
    >> Microsoft Excel
    >> Personal Folder File (.pst)
    >> Tab Separated Values (DOS)
    >> Tab Separated Values (Windows)
    >>
    >> I used Comma Separated Values (Windows). How can I convert to .ics??
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I hope that you don't have many tasks that you wish to import. There is
    > software available to convert .csv files to .ics, but all are not free.
    > Thunderbird/Lightning will only import tasks from .ics files, not .csv
    > files. .ics files can discriminate between events and tasks, while .csv
    > files can not. Lightning sees .csv files as events.
    >
    > Being an ex-programmer, I often pull schedules off the internet and
    > import them as events or tasks to Lightning. I wrote a small AWK program
    > to convert these Excel/.csv files to .ics files
    >
    > However, I have discovered something that might help. Try this:
    > 1. Create a new calendar in Lightning called say "Tasks".
    > 2. Import your .csv into that calendar.
    > 3. You have three buttons on the lower left labeled Mail, Calendar, and
    > Tasks.
    > 4. Click on Calendar.
    > 5. Drag and drop each of the "events" to the Task button.
    > 6. This will convert these "events" to Tasks.
    > 7. If this doesn't work, at least they are in one calendar and you can
    > delete the calendar called "Tasks".
    >
    > Let me know if you have any problems or questions, OK?

    John,
    I think you've cracked it. Thanks. It will be a slow process but now I
    can be selective and do some house cleaning on my tasks.

    The reason that I needed my tasks was because I used it as a kind of
    DBase. i recorded everything relevant to a particular task and of course
    it linked to address book etc.

    thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread