Making Addons Compatible - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Making Addons Compatible - Mozilla ; I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two add-ons ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Making Addons Compatible

    I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two
    add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does anyone
    recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something to do
    with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague on
    the terms to try it without some help.

    Thanks.

    JLOB

  2. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Download the addon(right click -> Save As).

    It would be an xpi file. Open it in 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on it and
    select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next to it
    to the version of FF you are using.

    Save the file. Close the editor and 7zip and drag and drop the xpi file into
    Firefox window.

    But beware sometimes this doesn't works. So try and try on your own risk.

    Neoxeekhrobe.

  3. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:46:49 +0500, Fahad Fateh wrote:

    > Download the addon(right click -> Save As).
    >
    > It would be an xpi file. Open it in 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    > Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on it and
    > select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    > ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next to it
    > to the version of FF you are using.
    >
    > Save the file. Close the editor and 7zip and drag and drop the xpi file into
    > Firefox window.
    >
    > But beware sometimes this doesn't works. So try and try on your own risk.
    >
    > Neoxeekhrobe.

    I used the zip function included with WinXP to extract the Install.rdf, and
    restore it back to the the zip file before renaming it back to .xpi.
    several times in the past.

    --

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

  4. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Its much easier with 7zip as I don't have to rename and then rename.

  5. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    John O'Boyle wrote:

    > I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    > Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    > problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two
    > add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does anyone
    > recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something to do
    > with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    > individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague on
    > the terms to try it without some help.

    The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    does all your extensions automatically in one pass.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to e-mail

  6. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 17:00, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Fahad Fateh to
    generate the following:? :
    > Its much easier with 7zip as I don't have to rename and then rename.

    downloaded, installed, looked at, binned

    that app is far too complicated to run!

    reg

  7. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:34:03 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:

    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >
    >> I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    >> Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    >> problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two
    >> add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does anyone
    >> recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something to do
    >> with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    >> individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague on
    >> the terms to try it without some help.

    > The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    > extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    > Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    > does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.

    --

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

  8. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    "John Gray" wrote in message news:QcqdnW-MvZhiHMPVnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:34:03 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:
    >
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    >>> Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    >>> problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two
    >>> add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does anyone
    >>> recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something to do
    >>> with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    >>> individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague on
    >>> the terms to try it without some help.

    >> The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    >> extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    >> Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    >> does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob

    > The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    > extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    > real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    > easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.

    If you turn off compatibility testing then you can see which extensions
    have a red exclamation point indicating they are not compatible according
    to version. If active they are shown in bold, if disabled they are shown
    with gray test. Change Extensions.checkCompatibility to False
    Keep anything to do with bookmarks disabled until a 3.0 version is
    available. Updates will update disabled extensions as well as enabled.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...bilitydisabled

    --
    HTH,

  9. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Fahad Fateh wrote:
    > Download the addon(right click -> Save As).
    >
    > It would be an xpi file. Open it in 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    > Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on it and
    > select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    > ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next to it
    > to the version of FF you are using.

    Actually, rather than do that and have to go through the process all
    over again when you upgrade to the next versions, set it ahead a bit so
    you have some breathing room. When tweaking extensions for FF2, I set
    them for 2.6. An arbitrary number, I'll grant, but one that was never
    reached, so I never had to RE-edit them all.

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

  10. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:30:15 -0400, David McRitchie wrote:

    > "John Gray" wrote in message news:QcqdnW-MvZhiHMPVnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@mozilla.org...

    >>> The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    >>> extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    >>> Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    >>> does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    >> extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    >> real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    >> easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.

    > If you turn off compatibility testing then you can see which extensions
    > have a red exclamation point indicating they are not compatible according
    > to version. If active they are shown in bold, if disabled they are shown
    > with gray test. Change Extensions.checkCompatibility to False
    > Keep anything to do with bookmarks disabled until a 3.0 version is
    > available. Updates will update disabled extensions as well as enabled.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...bilitydisabled

    Dave,
    Is this the same information one can select via the pulldown menu in the
    extension Extension List Dumper? That reflects the same information in
    Install.rdf as installed, whether modified or not. IOW, it still doesn't
    indicate which modified extension is now causing the problem.

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

  11. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 19:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "John Gray" wrote in message news:QcqdnW-MvZhiHMPVnZ2dnUVZWhednZ2d@mozilla.org...

    >>> The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    >>> extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    >>> Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    >>> does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    >> extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    >> real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    >> easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.
    >>

    > If you turn off compatibility testing then you can see which extensions
    > have a red exclamation point indicating they are not compatible according
    > to version. If active they are shown in bold, if disabled they are shown
    > with gray test. Change Extensions.checkCompatibility to False
    > Keep anything to do with bookmarks disabled until a 3.0 version is
    > available. Updates will update disabled extensions as well as enabled.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...bilitydisabled

    despite the fact that compatibility-check is set to false
    (extensions.checkCompatibility) the STUPID warning box persists in
    popping up and delaying FF startup.

    Question... HOW can I PREVENT that stupid box from showing

    I know darned well that FF *should NOT* check for updates, so I want it
    to do just that - NOT CHECK !!

    reg

  12. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    "John Gray" ...
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:30:15 -0400, David McRitchie wrote:

    >>> The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    >>> extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    >>> real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    >>> easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.

    >> If you turn off compatibility testing then you can see which extensions
    >> have a red exclamation point indicating they are not compatible according
    >> to version. If active they are shown in bold, if disabled they are shown
    >> with gray test. Change Extensions.checkCompatibility to False
    >> Keep anything to do with bookmarks disabled until a 3.0 version is
    >> available. Updates will update disabled extensions as well as enabled.
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility
    >>
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...bilitydisabled

    > Dave,
    > Is this the same information one can select via the pulldown menu in the
    > extension Extension List Dumper? That reflects the same information in
    > Install.rdf as installed, whether modified or not. IOW, it still doesn't
    > indicate which modified extension is now causing the problem.

    Same type of information in the listing, but I am trying to point
    you to another part of my customized listing that has a picture>
    Copy and paste the following link into the location bar, you probably
    will not get to the exact spot if you simply click on the link.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...bilitydisabled

    If you use Nightly tester tools, or modify an .RDF file you are changing
    the extension itself, and will not show up as being incompatible, which
    drops the very information you need look for first if you have a problem.

    As far as telling you what extension is the problem, that would be
    a good trick.

  13. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    "squaredancer"
    > despite the fact that compatibility-check is set to false
    > (extensions.checkCompatibility) the STUPID warning box persists in
    > popping up and delaying FF startup.
    >
    > Question... HOW can I PREVENT that stupid box from showing
    >
    > I know darned well that FF *should NOT* check for updates, so I want it
    > to do just that - NOT CHECK !!

    Just click no at that time, and later use Find updates.
    One way or another, at your convenience, you will want
    to run updates. To suppress automatic
    Tools, Options, Advanced, Update
    I have the options there turned off
    To get Firefox updates do so from Help menu
    To get Extension updates do so from
    Tools, Addons, Extensions, Find Updates

    The above was in Version 2 as well.

    --
    HTH,

  14. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Fahad Fateh wrote:
    > Download the addon(right click -> Save As).
    >
    > It would be an xpi file. Open it in 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    > Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on it and
    > select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    > ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next to it
    > to the version of FF you are using.
    >
    > Save the file. Close the editor and 7zip and drag and drop the xpi file into
    > Firefox window.
    >
    > But beware sometimes this doesn't works. So try and try on your own risk.
    >
    > Neoxeekhrobe.

    Lots easier, just download and install Mr Tech Toolkit (formerly Mr Tech
    Local install). It will give you the option to ignore those version
    settings.

    Warning!
    Doing so may render your copy of FF3 nonfunctioning, nonstartable,
    and/or completely unusable.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    John Gray wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:34:03 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:
    >
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    >>> Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    >>> problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or two
    >>> add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does anyone
    >>> recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something to do
    >>> with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    >>> individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague on
    >>> the terms to try it without some help.

    >> The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    >> extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    >> Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    >> does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob

    > The problem with the Nightly Tester Tools is the shotgun approach. If one
    > extension then makes Firefox crash on startup, then troubleshooting is a
    > real pain. OTOH, redoing the Install.rdf in an .xpi and then trying it
    > easily pinpoints the extension causing the problem.

    Use Mr Tech or NTT to set the program to ignore the setting, then add an
    extension, then test. If it works, add next extension.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  16. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 21:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ron Hunter to
    generate the following:? :
    > Fahad Fateh wrote:

    << snipped >>
    > Lots easier, just download and install Mr Tech Toolkit (formerly Mr Tech
    > Local install). It will give you the option to ignore those version
    > settings.
    >
    > Warning!
    > Doing so may render your copy of FF3 nonfunctioning, nonstartable,
    > and/or completely unusable.

    I've often wondered just HOW my browser got into that condition

    reg

  17. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 21:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "squaredancer"
    >
    >> despite the fact that compatibility-check is set to false
    >> (extensions.checkCompatibility) the STUPID warning box persists in
    >> popping up and delaying FF startup.
    >>
    >> Question... HOW can I PREVENT that stupid box from showing
    >>
    >> I know darned well that FF *should NOT* check for updates, so I want it
    >> to do just that - NOT CHECK !!
    >>

    > Just click no at that time, and later use Find updates.
    > One way or another, at your convenience, you will want
    > to run updates. To suppress automatic
    > Tools, Options, Advanced, Update
    > I have the options there turned off
    > To get Firefox updates do so from Help menu
    > To get Extension updates do so from
    > Tools, Addons, Extensions, Find Updates
    >
    > The above was in Version 2 as well.

    I want rid of the pop-up box telling me FF IS checking compatibility -
    this box:
    http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ibilityed4.jpg

    reg

  18. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    squaredancer" wrote in message news:_cGdnWi5YtKXLsPVnZ2dnUVZ_qzinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 22.06.2008 21:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    > McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    >> "squaredancer"
    >>
    >>> despite the fact that compatibility-check is set to false
    >>> (extensions.checkCompatibility) the STUPID warning box persists in
    >>> popping up and delaying FF startup.
    >>>
    >>> Question... HOW can I PREVENT that stupid box from showing
    >>>
    >>> I know darned well that FF *should NOT* check for updates, so I want it
    >>> to do just that - NOT CHECK !!
    >>>

    >> Just click no at that time, and later use Find updates.
    >> One way or another, at your convenience, you will want
    >> to run updates. To suppress automatic
    >> Tools, Options, Advanced, Update
    >> I have the options there turned off
    >> To get Firefox updates do so from Help menu
    >> To get Extension updates do so from
    >> Tools, Addons, Extensions, Find Updates
    >>
    >> The above was in Version 2 as well.
    >>

    > I want rid of the pop-up box telling me FF IS checking compatibility -
    > this box:
    > http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ibilityed4.jpg

    If you took the time to write out what the message says, then we could
    all read it, and it could be searched for. Did you try what I suggested.

    File finally loaded from Gran Paradiso, 2.0.0.14 took many minutes.
    IE never loaded it. imageshack must be very slow today.
    But that is the message I replied for, so did you try what I suggested.

    BTW,
    If you want a working replacement for Keyword Bar, install "KeywordManager"
    see my web page, it is not as good as you have to look in upper right corner
    of "Organize Bookmarks" (Bookmarks Manager).

  19. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 22:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer" wrote in message news:_cGdnWi5YtKXLsPVnZ2dnUVZ_qzinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    >> On 22.06.2008 21:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    >> McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> "squaredancer"

    >>> Just click no at that time, and later use Find updates.
    >>> One way or another, at your convenience, you will want
    >>> to run updates. To suppress automatic
    >>> Tools, Options, Advanced, Update
    >>> I have the options there turned off
    >>> To get Firefox updates do so from Help menu
    >>> To get Extension updates do so from
    >>> Tools, Addons, Extensions, Find Updates
    >>>
    >>> The above was in Version 2 as well.
    >>>

    >> I want rid of the pop-up box telling me FF IS checking compatibility -
    >> this box:
    >> http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ibilityed4.jpg
    >>

    > If you took the time to write out what the message says, then we could
    > all read it, and it could be searched for. Did you try what I suggested.There is no message - it is an animated checkbox.

    There is no "message" to write out - it is an animated checkbox

    as I said MANY TIMES - I have set everthing that has been posted here -
    that damned box WILL NOT go away!

    > File finally loaded from Gran Paradiso, 2.0.0.14 took many minutes.
    > IE never loaded it. imageshack must be very slow today.
    > But that is the message I replied for, so did you try what I suggested.

    ImageShack sure is slow today (this evening here, in Germany)

    > BTW,
    > If you want a working replacement for Keyword Bar, install "KeywordManager"
    > see my web page, it is not as good as you have to look in upper right corner
    > of "Organize Bookmarks" (Bookmarks Manager).

    I'll wait that one out...

    reg

  20. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 22.06.2008 22:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :

    << snipped >>

    > BTW,
    > If you want a working replacement for Keyword Bar, install "KeywordManager"
    > see my web page, it is not as good as you have to look in upper right corner
    > of "Organize Bookmarks" (Bookmarks Manager).

    hmmm - needs a register and log-on to get that KeywordManager.... no thanks!

    reg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast