Making Addons Compatible - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Making Addons Compatible - Mozilla ; squaredancer" > hmmm - needs a register and log-on to get that KeywordManager.... no thanks! air enough, but there is [/was] a way around it, keywordManager :: Firefox Add-ons https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5663 Hells bells, wish those people had to sign off each ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    squaredancer"
    > hmmm - needs a register and log-on to get that KeywordManager.... no thanks!

    air enough, but there is [/was] a way around it,
    keywordManager :: Firefox Add-ons

    Hells bells, wish those people had to sign off each time
    they purchased fuel that if they used fuel in their car, it
    might actually work in the manner intended.

    You had been able to get around the stupidity by clicking
    on "see all versions" then look at the one on the top -- it is the
    same version and it is marked as good to go for Firefox 3.0. --
    but no more.

    Now I see where the Advanced search went at addons.mozilla.org
    went after I logged in it is available again.

    To me it's worth it, but it should not be necessary unless you intend
    to make a comment. Add-ons removed comments and back to rating
    system only and I don't wish to participate in nonsense.

  2. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Fahad Fateh wrote:
    >> Download the addon(right click -> Save As).
    >>
    >> It would be an xpi file. Open it in
    >> 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    >> Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on
    >> it and
    >> select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    >> ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next
    >> to it
    >> to the version of FF you are using.

    > Actually, rather than do that and have to go through the process all
    > over again when you upgrade to the next versions, set it ahead a bit so
    > you have some breathing room. When tweaking extensions for FF2, I set
    > them for 2.6. An arbitrary number, I'll grant, but one that was never
    > reached, so I never had to RE-edit them all.

    Easier to use something like Mr Tech Toolkit.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  3. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Fahad Fateh wrote:
    >>> Download the addon(right click -> Save As).
    >>>
    >>> It would be an xpi file. Open it in
    >>> 7zip(http://www.7-zip.org/download.html).
    >>> Open the xpi file in it. There will be a Install.rdf, right click on
    >>> it and
    >>> select Edit it in texteditor. Search for the string
    >>> ""(without inverted commas) and change the number next
    >>> to it
    >>> to the version of FF you are using.

    >> Actually, rather than do that and have to go through the process all
    >> over again when you upgrade to the next versions, set it ahead a bit so
    >> you have some breathing room. When tweaking extensions for FF2, I set
    >> them for 2.6. An arbitrary number, I'll grant, but one that was never
    >> reached, so I never had to RE-edit them all.
    >>

    > Easier to use something like Mr Tech Toolkit.

    Holy crap! That would be using a howitzer to kill a mosquito. No
    thanks, but thanks for the thought. Maybe it's my Linux nature, but
    I don't favor huge hammers to solve small problems; I favor precision
    targeting by small-caliber weapons. Okay, no more mixed metaphors.

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

  4. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Bob Henson wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >
    >> I once saw a methodology for changing the maximum version level in
    >> Firefox add-on XPI's. I'm aware that doing so could cause other
    >> problems, but I'm willing to try it to see if I can resurrect one or
    >> two add-ons that I'd prefer not to live without in Firefox 3. Does
    >> anyone recall how this was accomplished? I believe it had something
    >> to do with treating the XPI as a zip file, opening it, changing some
    >> individual files, and reassembling the package, but I'm way too vague
    >> on the terms to try it without some help.

    > The easiest way is to install either the "Nightly Tester Tools"
    > extension or (if you want lots of other useful functions) MR Tech
    > Toolkit extension. They both have a "make all compatible" setting that
    > does all your extensions automatically in one pass.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    I've been using nightly tester tools for this purpose for a
    couple of years - almost always successful and so very easy.

    Louise

  5. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    "squaredancer"
    > as I said MANY TIMES - I have set everthing that has been posted here - that damned box WILL NOT go away!

    So when you look at
    Tools, Options, Advanced, Update
    are the update options still turned off

    Make sure you don't have any read only files
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm

    You might try this posting from Nir
    if goes a bit beyond simply deleting localstore.rdf
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...39495b070f85d7

    You will have to recustomize you toolbars because of deleting localstore.rdf
    In Fx3 you can click on View, Toolbars, Customize, Restore Default Set
    which I believe does the same thing. Deleting localstore.rdf and clearing
    cache is something I practically always have to do for a major Firefox update.

    --
    HTH,

  6. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Actually, rather than do that and have to go through the process all
    >>> over again when you upgrade to the next versions, set it ahead a bit
    >>> so you have some breathing room. When tweaking extensions for FF2, I
    >>> set them for 2.6. An arbitrary number, I'll grant, but one that was
    >>> never reached, so I never had to RE-edit them all.
    >>>

    >> Easier to use something like Mr Tech Toolkit.

    > Holy crap! That would be using a howitzer to kill a mosquito. No
    > thanks, but thanks for the thought. Maybe it's my Linux nature, but
    > I don't favor huge hammers to solve small problems; I favor precision
    > targeting by small-caliber weapons. Okay, no more mixed metaphors.

    Well, if you want to spend a LOT of time to make each extension load, so
    you can test to see if it really does work with FF3, instead of loading
    an extension to do the work for you, once, be my guest. It's your time.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    On 23.06.2008 00:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer"
    >
    >> hmmm - needs a register and log-on to get that KeywordManager.... no thanks!
    >>

    > air enough, but there is [/was] a way around it,
    > keywordManager :: Firefox Add-ons
    >
    > Hells bells, wish those people had to sign off each time
    > they purchased fuel that if they used fuel in their car, it
    > might actually work in the manner intended.
    >
    > You had been able to get around the stupidity by clicking
    > on "see all versions" then look at the one on the top -- it is the
    > same version and it is marked as good to go for Firefox 3.0. --
    > but no more.
    >
    > Now I see where the Advanced search went at addons.mozilla.org
    > went after I logged in it is available again.
    >
    > To me it's worth it, but it should not be necessary unless you intend
    > to make a comment. Add-ons removed comments and back to rating
    > system only and I don't wish to participate in nonsense.

    Thanks for checking that one out!

    reg

  8. Re: Making Addons Compatible

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Easier to use something like Mr Tech Toolkit.

    >> Holy crap! That would be using a howitzer to kill a mosquito. No
    >> thanks, but thanks for the thought. Maybe it's my Linux nature, but
    >> I don't favor huge hammers to solve small problems; I favor precision
    >> targeting by small-caliber weapons. Okay, no more mixed metaphors.
    >>

    > Well, if you want to spend a LOT of time to make each extension load, so
    > you can test to see if it really does work with FF3, instead of loading
    > an extension to do the work for you, once, be my guest. It's your time.

    As for me, specifically, I don't think hacking extensions to work with
    FF3 is going to be necessary, at least for quite a while.