FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking - Mozilla ; I downloaded and installed FF3 on both Windows XP Pro 64bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1. On both, after installing FireFox 3, my default browser was changed to FireFox. I was not asked during the install process. I know ...

  1. FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking

    I downloaded and installed FF3 on both Windows XP Pro 64bit and
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1. On both, after installing FireFox
    3, my default browser was changed to FireFox. I was not asked during
    the install process. I know this may sound like sacrilege in this
    group, but I need IE7 to be my default (I'm a software developer and
    my customers use IE7). I don't like software making system changes
    like that without my permission.

    It's no big deal to switch, and of course, I've already switched it
    myself, but I thought it was a little odd that Mozilla would code the
    install like this... not asking for help, just registering a small,
    public complaint.

  2. Re: FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking

    CSharpner wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed FF3 on both Windows XP Pro 64bit and
    > Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1. On both, after installing FireFox
    > 3, my default browser was changed to FireFox. I was not asked during
    > the install process. I know this may sound like sacrilege in this
    > group, but I need IE7 to be my default (I'm a software developer and
    > my customers use IE7). I don't like software making system changes
    > like that without my permission.
    >
    > It's no big deal to switch, and of course, I've already switched it
    > myself, but I thought it was a little odd that Mozilla would code the
    > install like this... not asking for help, just registering a small,
    > public complaint.

    ---------------------

    Did you choose Custom install?

    Custom install gives you the option of
    making, or not making FF3 your default
    browser. Also make certain "Always check
    to see if Firefox is the default browser
    on startup" at Tools|Options|Advanced tab
    is checked.

    LeonGee

  3. Re: FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking

    "CSharpner" wrote in message
    >I downloaded and installed FF3 on both Windows XP Pro 64bit
    >and
    > Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1. On both, after
    > installing FireFox
    > 3, my default browser was changed to FireFox. I was not
    > asked during
    > the install process. I know this may sound like sacrilege
    > in this
    > group, but I need IE7 to be my default (I'm a software
    > developer and
    > my customers use IE7). I don't like software making
    > system changes
    > like that without my permission.
    >
    > It's no big deal to switch, and of course, I've already
    > switched it
    > myself, but I thought it was a little odd that Mozilla
    > would code the
    > install like this... not asking for help, just registering
    > a small,
    > public complaint.

    I've installed Firefox 3 on two machines and both times
    one of the installation windows asked whether I wanted to
    make it my default browser. I also need to have IE as the
    default because the automatic Windows update will not work
    otherwise. You may just have missed this when it went by.
    Firefox has a setting under tools/advanced/general near
    the bottom of the window which asks if you want Firefox to
    check if its the default browser whenever you open it.
    Uncheck this if its checked. There is also a setting in IE
    for making it the default browser. Open tools/internet
    options/programs one up from the bottom of the window is
    the setting for making IE the default browser.

    --
    ---
    Richard Knoppow

  4. Re: FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking

    CSharpner wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed FF3 on both Windows XP Pro 64bit and
    > Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1. On both, after installing FireFox
    > 3, my default browser was changed to FireFox. I was not asked during
    > the install process. I know this may sound like sacrilege in this
    > group, but I need IE7 to be my default (I'm a software developer and
    > my customers use IE7). I don't like software making system changes
    > like that without my permission.
    >
    > It's no big deal to switch, and of course, I've already switched it
    > myself, but I thought it was a little odd that Mozilla would code the
    > install like this... not asking for help, just registering a small,
    > public complaint.

    I noted when I installed FF3 on my wife's machine that there IS a check
    box, defaulted to ON, for that, but who reads those installation dialog
    boxes???

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: FireFox 3 sets itself as default without asking

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:37:08 -0700, "Richard Knoppow"
    wrote:

    > I've installed Firefox 3 on two machines and both times
    >one of the installation windows asked whether I wanted to
    >make it my default browser.

    Likewise on 3 machines. However, all of them are on XP Pro on 32-bit
    machines, so I won't claim that all platforms perform in an identical
    manner.

    >I also need to have IE as the
    >default because the automatic Windows update will not work
    >otherwise.

    Hmmm. I have no problems using Windows update with Firefox set as my
    default browser. Admittedly, I use Windows Update at its most
    conservative option, where it will have to ask me first before
    download and subsequently yet again before install. That works just
    fine with Firefox set as my default browser.

    - Regards
    Helge Nareid

    PS: Hi Richard!
    --
    - Helge Nareid
    Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland

+ Reply to Thread