FF3 logged in sessions are lost - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF3 logged in sessions are lost - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites (iGoogle, Google ...

  1. FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    Hi,

    I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the
    browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to
    remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites
    (iGoogle, Google Reader, Gmail), or the NYTimes website. In the case of
    iGoogle that's especially annoying, since that's my start page. With
    Firefox 2, the logged in sessions used to be retained.

    The system is SuSE Linux 10.3; I installed Firefox 3 manually (not
    through the RPM management). Any comments?

    Thanks,
    Michael

  2. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Goerz
    to generate the following:? :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the
    > browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to
    > remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites
    > (iGoogle, Google Reader, Gmail), or the NYTimes website. In the case of
    > iGoogle that's especially annoying, since that's my start page. With
    > Firefox 2, the logged in sessions used to be retained.
    >
    > The system is SuSE Linux 10.3; I installed Firefox 3 manually (not
    > through the RPM management). Any comments?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    in Windows the place to look is:
    Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......

    for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(

    reg

  3. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    > On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Goerz
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the
    >> browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to
    >> remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites
    >> (iGoogle, Google Reader, Gmail), or the NYTimes website. In the case
    >> of iGoogle that's especially annoying, since that's my start page.
    >> With Firefox 2, the logged in sessions used to be retained.
    >>
    >> The system is SuSE Linux 10.3; I installed Firefox 3 manually (not
    >> through the RPM management). Any comments?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Michael
    >>

    > in Windows the place to look is:
    > Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......

    Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem. I
    can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every time
    I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie problem...
    it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active session on
    my browser. It does work while the browser is running, though: If I
    close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site, I'm still
    logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged from what I
    head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep Until They
    Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close Firefox is not
    checked.

    > for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(

    It's in Edit>>Preferences

    > reg

    Thanks,
    Michael

  4. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    On 21.06.2008 16:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Goerz
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    >
    >> On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Goerz
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the
    >>> browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to
    >>> remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites
    >>> (iGoogle, Google Reader, Gmail), or the NYTimes website. In the case
    >>> of iGoogle that's especially annoying, since that's my start page.
    >>> With Firefox 2, the logged in sessions used to be retained.
    >>>
    >>> The system is SuSE Linux 10.3; I installed Firefox 3 manually (not
    >>> through the RPM management). Any comments?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Michael
    >>>

    >> in Windows the place to look is:
    >> Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......
    >>

    > Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem. I
    > can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    > password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    > password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every time
    > I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie problem...
    > it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active session on
    > my browser. It does work while the browser is running, though: If I
    > close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site, I'm still
    > logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged from what I
    > head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep Until They
    > Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close Firefox is not
    > checked.
    >

    >> for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(
    >>

    > It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >
    >> reg
    >>

    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    look for and DELETE all cookies referring to a bugged site, then re-login.
    1) you need to re-enter username and password
    2) FF should ask if you want it to store that info - "yes, you nutter"

    clearing old cookies is very often a way to resolve password problems!

    reg

  5. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    Michael Goerz wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    >> On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael
    >> Goerz to generate the following:? :
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm observing an annoying glitch in Firefox 3: After restarting the
    >>> browser, I have to log in again into any page that's supposed to
    >>> remember me. For example, this is the case for all the Google Sites
    >>> (iGoogle, Google Reader, Gmail), or the NYTimes website. In the case
    >>> of iGoogle that's especially annoying, since that's my start page.
    >>> With Firefox 2, the logged in sessions used to be retained.
    >>>
    >>> The system is SuSE Linux 10.3; I installed Firefox 3 manually (not
    >>> through the RPM management). Any comments?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Michael
    >>>

    >> in Windows the place to look is:
    >> Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......

    > Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem. I
    > can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    > password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    > password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every time
    > I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie problem...
    > it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active session on
    > my browser. It does work while the browser is running, though: If I
    > close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site, I'm still
    > logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged from what I
    > head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep Until They
    > Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close Firefox is not
    > checked.
    >

    >> for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(

    > It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >>
    >> reg

    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    Hummm. No trouble here with that. My homepage is Google, and I am
    logged in just like always. Are your cookie settings, and Javascript
    both default, or have you changed something?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    On 06/21/2008 09:08 AM Ron Hunter scribbled:

    > Michael Goerz wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    >>> On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael
    >>> Goerz to generate the following:? :

    RPM shouldn't make a difference - either FF works or it won't. FWIW,
    ubuntu installed with FF 3. something as default 1 month ago - I simply
    copied my profile from the Win drive and everything worked like a charm.
    It looks like FF just doesn't get along with windoze.

    >>> in Windows the place to look is:
    >>> Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......

    >> Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem. I
    >> can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    >> password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    >> password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every time
    >> I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie problem...
    >> it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active session on
    >> my browser. It does work while the browser is running, though: If I
    >> close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site, I'm still
    >> logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged from what I
    >> head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep Until They
    >> Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close Firefox is not
    >> checked.
    >>
    >>> for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(

    >> It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >>> reg

    >> Thanks,
    >> Michael

    > Hummm. No trouble here with that. My homepage is Google, and I am
    > logged in just like always. Are your cookie settings, and Javascript
    > both default, or have you changed something?

    I've had problems with google for a while now - it seems to be hit and
    miss and they did make some changes to their format. I think reg has it
    right about the cookies.

  7. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 05:54 PM:
    > On 21.06.2008 16:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael Goerz
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    >>
    >>> On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael
    >>> Goerz to generate the following:? :

    >>> in Windows the place to look is:
    >>> Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......
    >>>

    >> Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem.
    >> I can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    >> password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    >> password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every
    >> time I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie
    >> problem... it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active
    >> session on my browser. It does work while the browser is running,
    >> though: If I close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site,
    >> I'm still logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged
    >> from what I head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep
    >> Until They Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close
    >> Firefox is not checked.
    >>

    >>> for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(
    >>>

    >> It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> Thanks,
    >> Michael
    >>

    > look for and DELETE all cookies referring to a bugged site, then re-login.
    > 1) you need to re-enter username and password
    > 2) FF should ask if you want it to store that info - "yes, you nutter"
    >
    > clearing old cookies is very often a way to resolve password problems!
    >
    > reg

    Clearing all cookies and the cache didn't help -- the problem persists.
    Upon login in again, though, new cookies are created, so that problem
    doesn't seem to be that I cookies are not saved at all.

    Good suggestions, though. What else could be the problem?

    Michael

  8. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    Ron Hunter wrote, on 06/21/2008 06:08 PM:
    > Michael Goerz wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote, on 06/21/2008 03:34 PM:
    >>> On 21.06.2008 14:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Michael
    >>> Goerz to generate the following:? :

    >>> in Windows the place to look is:
    >>> Tools>>options>>Security/Passwords>Remember Passwords......

    >> Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem.
    >> I can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    >> password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    >> password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every
    >> time I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie
    >> problem... it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active
    >> session on my browser. It does work while the browser is running,
    >> though: If I close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site,
    >> I'm still logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged
    >> from what I head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep
    >> Until They Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close
    >> Firefox is not checked.
    >>

    >>> for Linux, you may have a different wording for the same functions :-(

    >> It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >> Thanks,
    >> Michael

    > Hummm. No trouble here with that. My homepage is Google, and I am
    > logged in just like always. Are your cookie settings, and Javascript
    > both default, or have you changed something?

    Weird. Cookie and Java settings are normal, I think. Cookies are set to
    be accepted, including third-party cookies, and are "kept until they
    expire". Java and Java Script are enabled. I just added clearing the
    cache and the download history (nothing else) on closing Firefox. Before
    that, with no effect for the better or worse. At the time of my original
    post, clearing private data when I close Firefox was disabled.

    Michael

  9. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    goodwin wrote, on 06/21/2008 07:54 PM:
    > On 06/21/2008 09:08 AM Ron Hunter scribbled:
    >
    >> Michael Goerz wrote:

    > RPM shouldn't make a difference - either FF works or it won't.

    That's my thinking, too.
    >>> Yeah... I do have my saved passwords, though, that's not the problem. I
    >>> can click on "Log In" on the problematic websites, type in my master
    >>> password, and Firefox fills out the login form with username and
    >>> password automatically. But, I shouldn't have to login again every time
    >>> I restart the browser. This pretty much seems to be a cookie problem...
    >>> it seems Google (or whoever) can't properly save the active session on
    >>> my browser. It does work while the browser is running, though: If I
    >>> close the tab, and then open a new one for the same site, I'm still
    >>> logged in. The cookie settings seems to be ok (and unchanged from what I
    >>> head in FF2): Accept Cookies/ Third-Party Cookies and Keep Until They
    >>> Expire. Also, Always Clear My Private Data When I Close Firefox is not
    >>> checked.

    >>> It's in Edit>>Preferences
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Michael

    >> Hummm. No trouble here with that. My homepage is Google, and I am
    >> logged in just like always. Are your cookie settings, and Javascript
    >> both default, or have you changed something?
    >>

    > I've had problems with google for a while now - it seems to be hit and
    > miss and they did make some changes to their format. I think reg has it
    > right about the cookies.

    The problem occurred suddenly and is definitely connected to switching
    from FF2 to FF3. I've had iGoogle as my start page for a while, and I
    always stayed login up until now (except for being kicked off every once
    in a while, I assume when the relevant cookie expired)

    Michael

  10. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    On Jun 22, 5:03*am, Michael Goerz wrote:
    > goodwin wrote, on 06/21/2008 07:54 PM:

    > > RPM shouldn't make a difference - either FF works or it won't.

    > That's my thinking, too.

    > >> Hummm. *No trouble here with that. *My homepage is Google, and I am
    > >> logged in just like always. *Are your cookie settings, and Javascript
    > >> both default, or have you changed something?

    > > I've had problems with google for a while now - it seems to be hit and
    > > miss and they did make some changes to their format. *I think reg hasit
    > > right about the cookies.

    > The problem occurred suddenly and is definitely connected to switching
    > from FF2 to FF3. I've had iGoogle as my start page for a while, and I
    > always stayed login up until now (except for being kicked off every once
    > in a while, I assume when the relevant cookie expired)
    >
    > Michael

    am seeing the same problems as well. unable to keep gmail logged in
    between sessions.

  11. Re: FF3 logged in sessions are lost

    I have the exact same problem on Linux. It is very annoying. Doesn't
    happen with Firefox 2.0

    Eugene

+ Reply to Thread