SeaMonkey in parts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey in parts - Mozilla ; A question that seems to have been "semi-answered, but just around the fringes" and not lately... 1. Can SeaMonkey be installed, say version 1.1.10, and "backed out" so that only the Composer remains? That is, do we users have to ...

  1. SeaMonkey in parts

    A question that seems to have been "semi-answered, but just around the fringes" and not lately...

    1. Can SeaMonkey be installed, say version 1.1.10, and "backed out" so that only the Composer remains?

    That is, do we users have to install and have installed all sections of SeaMonkey, even if we only want or need the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components?

    Looking at Mozilla.org, it's hard to tell if JUST the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components will be available as "stand-alone" without having to have yet another web-browser installed...or if just the HTML editor / web tools will ever be available as extensions or plug-ins for Firefox.

    Again, the need for separating SeaMonkey browser code would occur when yet another browser is not needed at that time, or may be interfering with the system.

    2. Where is SeaMonkey 1.1.10 obtainable at to test ? Seems strangely hard to locate anywhere, or at least the "easy to see" mentions are missing.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    JR WG replied On 6/21/2008 4:23 AM

    > A question that seems to have been "semi-answered, but just around the fringes" and not lately...
    >
    > 1. Can SeaMonkey be installed, say version 1.1.10, and "backed out" so that only the Composer remains?
    >
    > That is, do we users have to install and have installed all sections of SeaMonkey, even if we only want or need the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components?
    >
    > Looking at Mozilla.org, it's hard to tell if JUST the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components will be available as "stand-alone" without having to have yet another web-browser installed...or if just the HTML editor / web tools will ever be available as extensions or plug-ins for Firefox.
    >
    > Again, the need for separating SeaMonkey browser code would occur when yet another browser is not needed at that time, or may be interfering with the system.
    >

    > 2. Where is SeaMonkey 1.1.10 obtainable at to test ? Seems strangely hard to locate anywhere, or at least the "easy to see" mentions are missing.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Well, lets see if I can make this issue a little clearer for you.

    Part 1.

    When you install SeaMonkey as a fresh and clean installation the install
    wizard offers two options; standard which includes every thing in the
    installation package, and custom where you can deselect components you
    do not want. Unfortunately the Composer component is not a selectable
    option, it comes with the browser.

    Here is what you can do to obtain what you need. Uninstall all of
    SeaMonkey and remove the mozilla.org folder and all its files and sub
    folders. This will give you a fresh start, but will not touch your
    SeaMonkey profile. reboot your PC. Install the latest public release
    of SM using the "Custom Install" option. Deselect all SM components you
    do not want installed, the browser component is not selectable and will
    automatically install with the Composer component.

    Launch SM and when fully opened select the Edit/Preferences/Appearance
    tabs and deselect any component that may have been selected with a check
    box making sure that Navigator is the only option with a check. Close
    SM. When you click your SM icon on the desktop only SeaMonkey Navigator
    will open.

    Part 2.

    Open SeaMonkey and navigate to:

    http://kompozer.sourceforge.net/

    This is the download site for Komposer a web authoring application taken
    from the Netscape Composer component found in SeaMonkey. The SM
    Composer component has some very serious flaws in web authoring that
    have not been addressed by the SM developers, so a hand full of
    programmers took the open source code of Composer and improved upon it
    and called it Komposer.

    Install Komposer using the default settings and after the installation
    is complete close SeaMonkey and open Komposer. A lot of the authoring
    tools will appear somewhat different, but under the hood in the
    preferences and composing tools areas it will look and perform similar
    to SM Composer.

    Open a new web page, type in a few words and save the document at
    test.html somewhere on your hard drive. With Komposer still open look
    for the tool in the top tool bar called Browser and click on it. Bingo!
    SeaMonkey opens displaying your test page. You can now continue with
    creating the test page and alternately pressing the "Referesh Button" in
    SM to see live updates displayed on your favorite web browser.

    Michael

  3. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    JR WG wrote:
    > A question that seems to have been "semi-answered, but just around the fringes" and not lately...
    >
    > 1. Can SeaMonkey be installed, say version 1.1.10, and "backed out" so that only the Composer remains?
    >
    > That is, do we users have to install and have installed all sections of SeaMonkey, even if we only want or need the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components?
    >
    > Looking at Mozilla.org, it's hard to tell if JUST the Composer-like HTML editor and web tools components will be available as "stand-alone" without having to have yet another web-browser installed...or if just the HTML editor / web tools will ever be available as extensions or plug-ins for Firefox.
    >
    > Again, the need for separating SeaMonkey browser code would occur when yet another browser is not needed at that time, or may be interfering with the system.

    You should probably just install Nvu:

    http://nvudev.com/index.php

    For some more info:

    http://www.nvu.com/

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  4. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > You should probably just install Nvu:
    >
    > http://nvudev.com/index.php
    >
    > For some more info:
    >
    > http://www.nvu.com/

    More or less replaced by Kompozer:
    http://www.kompozer.net/

    lj

  5. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    Not if you read what is written at: http://www.nvu.com/

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  6. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Lemuel Johnson wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>

    >>> You should probably just install Nvu:
    >>>
    >>> http://nvudev.com/index.php
    >>>
    >>> For some more info:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvu.com/
    >>>

    >> More or less replaced by Kompozer:
    >> http://www.kompozer.net/
    >>
    >> lj

    > Not if you read what is written at: http://www.nvu.com/

    What I meant (and should have said) is that, to me, Composer seems
    pretty much dead either in Kompozer form or Nvu form. Neither seems to
    be under active development. Although, both seem to be advanced more
    than the Composer component included with SeaMonkey.

    Having studied this topic for years my conclusion is that there is no
    good WYSIWYG solution. They are all flawed.

    Learn HTML and CSS coding and get a good text editor.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  7. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Lemuel Johnson wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>

    >>> You should probably just install Nvu:
    >>>
    >>> http://nvudev.com/index.php
    >>>
    >>> For some more info:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvu.com/
    >>>

    >> More or less replaced by Kompozer:
    >> http://www.kompozer.net/
    >>
    >> lj

    > Not if you read what is written at: http://www.nvu.com/

    Our Website (VPEA.org) was recently revamped using a system called
    Joomla(?) any body familiar with it.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  8. Re: SeaMonkey in parts

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> More or less replaced by Kompozer:
    >>> http://www.kompozer.net/
    >>>
    >>> lj

    >> Not if you read what is written at: http://www.nvu.com/
    >>

    > Our Website (VPEA.org) was recently revamped using a system called
    > Joomla(?) any body familiar with it.

    http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm