How to revert to the old address bar ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to revert to the old address bar ? - Mozilla ; "Corto" wrote > Why do you always send the same answers that don't work, I don't > understand your insistance to want me modify the behavior of the awful There probably isn't a true reversal available, , for now you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    "Corto" wrote
    > Why do you always send the same answers that don't work, I don't
    > understand your insistance to want me modify the behavior of the awful

    There probably isn't a true reversal available, , for now you have to go back
    to an earlier version or modify some of the behavior of version 3.0
    For instance I can't stand the chrome changes in 3.0 and 2.0.0.14 wasn't
    great either, so I modify it so it is more usable to me (though very rough).

    What is the complete version number of the Firefox you were using
    before version 3.0 because there was an autocomplete in 2.0.0.14
    It had url on the left, title on the right (at least that's what I have)
    I've not really been using 2.0.0.14 much for the last 7 months.

    Here is the best article I can find, a bit more than simple settings,
    but mostly looks like what you've already tried.
    9 tweaks for Firefox 3's location bar - Mozilla Links
    http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/06/9...-location-bar/

    and another article
    AwesomeBar Tweak Guide at Damn Machine !
    http://damnmachine.com/174/firefox-3...ar-tweaks.html

    Video: Disable Firefox 3's 'awesome bar' | Webware : Cool Web apps for everyone - CNET
    http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9971026-2.html

    You can also delete history items as they appear under the location bar
    with the Del key other than bookmarked. And you can do a search
    on your History (Ctrl+H) for a string like "timefeed" and then
    use Ctrl+A to select all such entries and delete (from history). Which
    might reduce clutter of unwanted entries.

  2. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    darkrats wrote:
    > I have to agree with Corto when it comes to the "awesome bar". Is there no
    > way that the FF3 designers could have given us a way to absolutely turn off
    > that feature? I also would like to just type in the address and see nothing
    > else appear when I do that. I've managed to reduce the dropdown list to one
    > old, deleted bookmark, but it still drives me up the wall to see it
    > everytime I type in an address.
    >
    > darkrats
    >

    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > news:2IidnaWgY4euMsLVnZ2dnUVZ_h_inZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Corto wrote:
    >>> Hello David McRitchie,
    >>> Why do you always send the same answers that don't work, I don't
    >>> understand your insistance to want me modify the behavior of the awful
    >>> bar, I want to remove it and according to the number of forums,
    >>> nawsgroups, sites with the same question I browsed on the web this week,
    >>> I am not the only one.
    >>> .
    >>> I don't care if it each row is on 1 or two lines
    >>> I don't care if there is 20, 12 15 or 0 lines
    >>> I don't want to install openbook or another extension to do what I use to
    >>> do with just FF
    >>> .
    >>> I don't want any software to keep track of how often I go to which site.
    >>> I started using FF 1 because it was safer than IE and now I see that FF3
    >>> installs security threats on my PC without asking me if I want the option
    >>> or not.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Corto

    >> If you don't feel comfortable with Firefox 3, then you probably shouldn't
    >> even go on the internet at all. And PLEASE bottom post in this group.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    There are more important things for me to worry about, like newsgroup
    posters who ignore polite requests to bottom post in this newsgroup, and
    high taxes, astronomical gasoline prices, and Medicare which is screwing
    me, again. Just type in what you want, and ignore the extra. Works for me.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  3. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    Corto wrote:
    > Hello Ron Hunter,
    > I have read my message again because I thought I may have been somewhat
    > unpolite or something else that would not suit the newsgroup policy and
    > I don't see what. Why do you say that I "shouldn't even go on the
    > internet at all". I will go where I want and when I want with or without
    > your approval.
    > I am not uncomfortable with FF I am uncomfortable with a useless CPU
    > consuming and dangerous in terms of privacy feature that was put IN
    > PLACE of a standard feature that exists on all browsers since there has
    > been browsers.
    > I didn't try to troll in any way, and I am very surprised of your
    > answer. By the way English is not my language and I didn't understand
    > the last sentence but if you mean I should post no more on this
    > newsgroup don't worry, I know other forum where you can give and ask for
    > an advice and still be respected.
    > So stay with your friends and have fun
    >
    > Corto
    >
    > Ron Hunter a écrit :
    >> Corto wrote:
    >>> Hello David McRitchie,
    >>> Why do you always send the same answers that don't work, I don't
    >>> understand your insistance to want me modify the behavior of the
    >>> awful bar, I want to remove it and according to the number of forums,
    >>> nawsgroups, sites with the same question I browsed on the web this
    >>> week, I am not the only one.
    >>> .
    >>> I don't care if it each row is on 1 or two lines
    >>> I don't care if there is 20, 12 15 or 0 lines
    >>> I don't want to install openbook or another extension to do what I
    >>> use to do with just FF
    >>> .
    >>> I don't want any software to keep track of how often I go to which site.
    >>> I started using FF 1 because it was safer than IE and now I see that
    >>> FF3 installs security threats on my PC without asking me if I want
    >>> the option or not.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Corto

    >> If you don't feel comfortable with Firefox 3, then you probably
    >> shouldn't even go on the internet at all. And PLEASE bottom post in
    >> this group.

    Sorry if I wasn't clear.

    IF you are so concerned about security that you don't want the program
    to count your accesses to a website, you should not go to websites,
    because the mere act of doing so IS counted, first by your program,
    second by your ISP, and last by the website. The only solution to this
    is to avoid the internet.

    I am not a fan of the 'awesome bar', myself, but I can't see getting all
    upset over it, and I certainly can't understand why someone would
    actually go back to an earlier release and do without the 15,000 other
    changes, some of which, by sheer luck, will probably be useful to you.

    As for the newsgroup, you persist in posting on top of previous posts,
    which is not the custom in this group.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    PeeGee wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> PeeGee wrote:

    >>> Changed the value to 2 as described, but no visible change in
    >>> operation and *it's getting worse, not better* :-( I note the
    >>> descriptions says it is easy to get items where "typed text will
    >>> match useless items" - a bit misleading as so far "you always get
    >>> useless items" is a better description.
    >>>
    >>> Also noted that browser.urlbar.matchOnWordBoundary is true by default
    >>> and *supposedly* does what I require (though it doesn't appear in the
    >>> config list).

    >>> Tried that and absolutely no change visible.
    >>>
    >>> Whatever I have tried so far results in "wrightsaerials..." appearing
    >>> before "esure..." when I enter "e" as the first letter of the name.
    >>> obviously listing in increasing numbers of visits, starting with 1 :-(
    >>>

    >> My experience with this feature is similar to prior versions. I start
    >> typing what I want, and continue, ignoring what comes up below, then
    >> hit 'enter'. No problem. I would spend a lot more time trying to
    >> find a URL in the list than I would typing it, but then I am a touch
    >> typist. Others may find it useful, and it doesn't bother me that it is
    >> there.
    >>

    > If that's how you use FF, then fine. I have no problem with that. I much
    > prefer to type 2 or 3 letters, press the "down arrow" to move to the top
    > item of the list and press enter than type 128 characters, including a
    > pseudo-random string that some sites appear to use, to get to a page on
    > site I recently visited :-)
    >
    > So far as the OP is concerned, it appears that the change (for the sake
    > of change) is permanent and no amount of tweaking the config or
    > userChrome.css parameters will get anything approaching FF2
    > compatibility, even though the parameters are there.

    I would NEVER type in a complete url of such length. Had I been to the
    site before, I would either have bookmarked it, or I would find it in my
    history file.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    Hello Ron Hunter,
    OK there is no answer to my questions so please stop answering bull****,
    and especially trying to get me for an idiot and a paranoid.
    Of course my ISP can spy me, but unless they put cookies on my computer
    (Which FF allows me to avoid) a website can not know on which other
    sites I have been neither how many times I have been to these sites and
    a web browser should not keep record of my surfing habits even IE
    doesn't. Most people have chosen FF because it is SAFER. I am not
    talking about absolute security just basic security concern but maybe
    you never receive any spam.
    Did you ever heard of spyware, it is software that spies net surfing
    habits because you apparently never heard of it let me give you an
    extract from "Spyware" Wikipedia article
    > While the term spyware suggests software that secretly monitors the user's behavior,

    the functions of spyware extend well beyond simple monitoring. Spyware
    programs can collect
    various types of personal information, such as Internet surfing habit,
    sites that have been
    visited, but can also interfere with user control of the computer in
    other ways, such as
    installing additional software, redirecting Web browser activity,
    accessing websites blindly
    that will cause more harmful viruses, or diverting advertising revenue
    to a third party.
    ... Other spyware behavior, such as reporting on websites the user
    visits, occurs in the background.
    The data is used for "targeted" advertisement impressions.

    Corto

    Ron Hunter a écrit :
    > Corto wrote:
    >> Hello Ron Hunter,
    >> I have read my message again because I thought I may have been
    >> somewhat unpolite or something else that would not suit the newsgroup
    >> policy and I don't see what. Why do you say that I "shouldn't even go
    >> on the internet at all". I will go where I want and when I want with
    >> or without your approval.
    >> I am not uncomfortable with FF I am uncomfortable with a useless CPU
    >> consuming and dangerous in terms of privacy feature that was put IN
    >> PLACE of a standard feature that exists on all browsers since there
    >> has been browsers.
    >> I didn't try to troll in any way, and I am very surprised of your
    >> answer. By the way English is not my language and I didn't understand
    >> the last sentence but if you mean I should post no more on this
    >> newsgroup don't worry, I know other forum where you can give and ask
    >> for an advice and still be respected.
    >> So stay with your friends and have fun
    >>
    >> Corto
    >>
    >> Ron Hunter a écrit :

    >>> If you don't feel comfortable with Firefox 3, then you probably
    >>> shouldn't even go on the internet at all. And PLEASE bottom post in
    >>> this group.
    >>>

    > Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    >
    > IF you are so concerned about security that you don't want the program
    > to count your accesses to a website, you should not go to websites,
    > because the mere act of doing so IS counted, first by your program,
    > second by your ISP, and last by the website. The only solution to this
    > is to avoid the internet.
    >
    > I am not a fan of the 'awesome bar', myself, but I can't see getting all
    > upset over it, and I certainly can't understand why someone would
    > actually go back to an earlier release and do without the 15,000 other
    > changes, some of which, by sheer luck, will probably be useful to you.
    >
    > As for the newsgroup, you persist in posting on top of previous posts,
    > which is not the custom in this group.

  6. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    Corto wrote:
> [...]

    >>> for an advice and still be respected.
    >>> So stay with your friends and have fun
    >>>
    >>> Corto

    >> Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    >>
    >> IF you are so concerned about security that you don't want the program
    >> to count your accesses to a website, you should not go to websites,
    >> because the mere act of doing so IS counted, first by your program,
    >> second by your ISP, and last by the website. The only solution to
    >> this is to avoid the internet.
    >>
    >> I am not a fan of the 'awesome bar', myself, but I can't see getting
    >> all upset over it, and I certainly can't understand why someone would
    >> actually go back to an earlier release and do without the 15,000 other
    >> changes, some of which, by sheer luck, will probably be useful to you.
    >>
    >> As for the newsgroup, you persist in posting on top of previous posts,

    I earned a living in the computer business for 40 years. I know what
    spyware is, and how it works (and how to avoid getting it). If you are
    so paranoid that you object to the software YOU are using counting how
    many times you visit a website, and that you delete all surfing records
    after you close the program, then it is probably better that you avoid
    internet usage entirely.

    Somewhere, somehow, you have to TRUST someone, or your life will be
    pretty empty. Start with trusting Firefox.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    To Ron Hunter,
    I didn't say that I don't trust FF and I would like to thank you for
    learning me that hackers wait that the sensitive data is sent
    personnally to them before using it. You have convinced me, and from now
    I will ask your authorization when I can surf, post on newsgroup or
    honor my wife. But please stop trolling this newsgroup with your
    personnal attacks.
    Subject closed.

    Ron Hunter a écrit :
> [...]

    >>> all upset over it, and I certainly can't understand why someone would
    >>> actually go back to an earlier release and do without the 15,000
    >>> other changes, some of which, by sheer luck, will probably be useful
    >>> to you.
    >>>
    >>> As for the newsgroup, you persist in posting on top of previous
    >>> posts, which is not the custom in this group.
    >>>

    > I earned a living in the computer business for 40 years. I know what
    > spyware is, and how it works (and how to avoid getting it). If you are
    > so paranoid that you object to the software YOU are using counting how
    > many times you visit a website, and that you delete all surfing records
    > after you close the program, then it is probably better that you avoid
    > internet usage entirely.
    >
    > Somewhere, somehow, you have to TRUST someone, or your life will be
    > pretty empty. Start with trusting Firefox.

  8. Re: How to revert to the old address bar ?

    On 23.06.2008 17:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused PeeGee to
    generate the following:? :
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> PeeGee wrote:

    >>> Changed the value to 2 as described, but no visible change in
    >>> operation and *it's getting worse, not better* :-( I note the
    >>> descriptions says it is easy to get items where "typed text will match
    >>> useless items" - a bit misleading as so far "you always get useless
    >>> items" is a better description.
    >>>
    >>> Also noted that browser.urlbar.matchOnWordBoundary is true by default
    >>> and *supposedly* does what I require (though it doesn't appear in the
    >>> config list).

    >>> Tried that and absolutely no change visible.
    >>>
    >>> Whatever I have tried so far results in "wrightsaerials..." appearing
    >>> before "esure..." when I enter "e" as the first letter of the name.
    >>> obviously listing in increasing numbers of visits, starting with 1 :-(
    >>>

    >> My experience with this feature is similar to prior versions. I start
    >> typing what I want, and continue, ignoring what comes up below, then hit
    >> 'enter'. No problem. I would spend a lot more time trying to find a
    >> URL in the list than I would typing it, but then I am a touch typist.
    >> Others may find it useful, and it doesn't bother me that it is there.
    >>

    > If that's how you use FF, then fine. I have no problem with that. I much
    > prefer to type 2 or 3 letters, press the "down arrow" to move to the top
    > item of the list and press enter than type 128 characters, including a
    > pseudo-random string that some sites appear to use, to get to a page on
    > site I recently visited :-)
    >
    > So far as the OP is concerned, it appears that the change (for the sake
    > of change) is permanent and no amount of tweaking the config or
    > userChrome.css parameters will get anything approaching FF2
    > compatibility, even though the parameters are there.

    strange thoughts there, PeeGee

    1) I ONLY type a *full* URL if it is for the first time of use
    2) If I have used a URL previously, and found it useful, I have it BM'ed
    3) If I have a URL BM'ed - /I know it/ and I use it
    4) If I find a URL someplace (eMail, Website) I either copy+paste or
    click. I certainly DO NOT write it down, open FF, find the slip of
    paper, read the URL and TYPE IT IN - Just where are we ??

    reg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2