Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP?? - Mozilla ; On 18.06.2008 17:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to generate the following:? : > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: > >> Virtual Guy wrote: >> >> >>> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the ...

  1. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 18.06.2008 17:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    generate the following:? :
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Virtual Guy wrote:
    >>

    >>> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button. It has been
    >>> on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.
    >>>

    >> its not on Opera, its not on Safari, and IE7 doesn't have one.
    >>

    > But it is on IE6 - both arrow and 'Go' :-)

    in my old (but not broken) 1.5.0.9 it is *ALSO* an arrow (in a green
    round button) *AND* the word Go.... but it is still in the customize
    list, as I removed it from the UI

    must admit - the "thing" that the devs have thought up (IF they thought)
    for ver 3 is very dubious - who is *expected* to even notice that
    *LITTLE* arrow-type whatsit??

    reg

  2. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    generate the following:? :
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    > ,snip>
    >
    >> Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has
    >> thousands...
    >>

    > Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >
    > according to this counter....
    > http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

    I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)

    reg

  3. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >> ,snip>
    >>
    >>> Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has thousands...
    >>>

    >> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>
    >> according to this counter....
    >> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>

    > I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    > someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    > what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >
    > reg

    Where? Iran? or Canada?

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  4. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 17.06.2008 22:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Virtual Guy to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 6/17/08 3:48 PM, _Virtual Guy_ spoke thusly:

    >>> The Go arrow will appear when the text in the Location bar is
    >>> different from the page you are at.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the clarification. I guess evolving from a Go button to a
    >> Go arrow is considered progress. I like the new interface, and I guess
    >> I will get used to the new arrow.
    >>

    > *see* - the devs *KNOW* what's good for you!
    >
    > reg

    Yeah, Riiiiiiight!!!

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  5. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Charles W Davis wrote:

    > "Virtual Guy" wrote in message
    > news:nPydnfp8CsH9h8XVnZ2dnUVZ_vjinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Why do you need one? just hit return......

    >> I knew that would be the inevitable reply. Not everyone uses the a Web
    >> browser the same way you do? I find the Go button to be far more
    >> efficient in many circumstances. The way I use my browser, it is a
    >> must. I should NOT be forced to use the browser the way someone else
    >> thinks is best for me. I know what I want. I want a ****ing Go button
    >> on my address bar. It is a simple matter that makes a huge difference
    >> to me, and probably many others.

    > Write your own browser! Then you can have one exactly to your own liking!

    In FF2 using either SKyPilot or Toy Factory Theme by SailFish the was a
    specific *GO* button and *Search* button.

    However, it now long works with FF3 and, if you force it to work, it
    really doesn't. Hope SailFish re writes it to work with it.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  6. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> I knew that would be the inevitable reply. Not everyone uses the a Web
    >> browser the same way you do?

    > Is that a question? Funny question if you ask me...
    >> I find the Go button to be far more efficient in many circumstances.

    > Let's get a little perspective here. "far more efficient"? We're talking
    > about the difference between grabbing your mouse, moving over to a
    > certain area of the screen and correctly clicking on a button as opposed
    > to simply hitting the return key. This is an operation that a 3 year old
    > can perform in a second or two. Are you that ****ing incompetent?!?
    > Geeze what people argue about sometimes....
    >> The way I use my browser, it is a must.

    > A must?!? Surely and demonstrably not! Is your finger that goddamned
    > arthritic that you cannot hit a return key? My god man how do you time
    > more than one paragraph?!? Do you have a return button too? A must my
    > ass! I desire - I'll but that - but a must - no way!
    >> I should NOT be forced to use the browser the way someone else thinks
    >> is best for me.

    > You have every right to not use the browser should you not want to. In
    > fact I'd say return that sucker for a full refund!
    >> I know what I want. I want a ****ing Go button on my address bar. It
    >> is a simple matter that makes a huge difference to me, and probably
    >> many others.

    > In your ****ing retarded mind perhaps. Look I understand people prefer a
    > button. Personally I think it's stupid but if you want one you sure
    > should have it and I bet there's at least an extension to do it. But
    > your bull**** about "far more efficient", "a must" and "I shouldn't be
    > forced to use carriage return" are stupid, weak arguments that kill your
    > credibility.
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Why do they sterilize needles for lethal injections?

    Hey Vertual Guy, the troll is out out from under its bridge again. You
    will get to recognise it. It just comes out now and again to let
    everybody know what a twat he is. Most people ignore him, most people
    have him blocked. That's the only way to be with him. Unfortunately, you
    cant block everything eh writes, but dont feed the troll.

  7. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> No, it's not JUST a button. It's the friggin' GO button.

    > Which makes it just a button!
    >> It has been on Web browsers since the Web browser was invented.

    > So what!
    >> It serves a perfectly useful purpose, and when it's where it's
    >> supposed to be, I don't have lift my hand from the mouse, find the
    >> keyboard, then find the mouse again.

    > Why would you be hovering over the go button when you just clicked on
    > the address bar to enter the URL you wish to go to? Wouldn't you be in
    > the address bar with that mouse? Wouldn't you have been over at the
    > keyboard typing in that URL? Wouldn't you have to be going to get the
    > mouse at this point? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to hit
    > enter? (or do you type with one hand?).
    >> Having no GO button reduces my efficiency with wasted movement.

    > If you are truly worried about wasted movement (and as a guitarist
    > myself versed in the concept of economy of motion WRT playing the
    > guilar) then you would have your hands at home row of the keyboard from
    > typing in the URL that you are about to "go" to. The most economical
    > finger movement at this point is to use your right pinky to hit the
    > enter key.
    >> I can only hope there is an add-on that will give it back. I've never
    >> seen one, and I've never needed one, because the Go button was always
    >> there. To me, it seems stupid to eliminate the Go button from the URL
    >> bar. It's like removing the SEND button from your e-mail client.

    > To which, again thinking economically about keyboard motion, I always
    > type Control-Enter to send...
    > --
    > Andrew DeFaria
    > Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....

    I avoid using short-cut keys as much as possible. If FireFox and and in
    Browser portion of SeaMonkey.

    I do use Command -S to bring up Save as menu when I want to save an
    email. in Tbird or Email/News portion of SeaMonkey.

    Using the mouse is much faster otherwise. Less complicated than keeping
    up with all those short cut key combinations.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  8. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >> ,snip>
    >>
    >>> Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has thousands...
    >>>

    >> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>
    >> according to this counter....
    >> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>

    > I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    > someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    > what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >
    > reg

    The downloads from Iran could be the service men over there with their
    with the laptops. I know there arent that many there but it could be why
    its higher than it would normally be.

  9. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 18.06.2008 20:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>> ,snip>

    >>> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>>
    >>> according to this counter....
    >>> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>>

    >> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > Where? Iran? or Canada?

    I wish..... send him on an adventure holiday, inspecting Scud rockets in
    flight...

    reg

  10. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    On 18.06.2008 20:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>> ,snip>

    >>> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>>
    >>> according to this counter....
    >>> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>>

    >> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > The downloads from Iran could be the service men over there with their
    > with the laptops. I know there arent that many there but it could be why
    > its higher than it would normally be.

    hey John - get up-to-date man... those guys are protecting the
    oil-thieves in IRAQ... not IRAN - Bush hasn't plucked up enough false
    evidence yet, to invade them!

    reg

  11. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.06.2008 20:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    >>> generate the following:? :

    >>> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >>> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >>> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>

    >> The downloads from Iran could be the service men over there with their
    >> with the laptops. I know there arent that many there but it could be
    >> why its higher than it would normally be.
    >>

    > hey John - get up-to-date man... those guys are protecting the
    > oil-thieves in IRAQ... not IRAN - Bush hasn't plucked up enough false
    > evidence yet, to invade them!
    >
    > reg

    ooppss, slap my wrist, I'm tired, been up for hours. I misread it as
    Iraq. My bad.

  12. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    squaredancer wrote:
    > I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    > someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    > what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)

    I wonder whatever happened to this agreement:

    This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration
    Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or
    re-exported to certain countries (currently Cuba, Iran,
    Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)

    That little line seems to have disappeared lately:
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)

    > I wonder whatever happened to this agreement:
    >

    > This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations
    > and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain
    > countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)
    >

    > That little line seems to have disappeared lately:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

    That requirement was removed by the US Government several years ago

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Don Nickell wrote:
    >> ,snip>
    >>
    >>> Of course I only had about 50 customers max and FF has thousands...
    >>>

    >> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>
    >> according to this counter....
    >> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>

    > I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    > someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    > what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >
    > reg

    only 30,000 more than Canada

    but Canada has only 33 million people, and Iran has 65 million.
    To keep up with us, they would have to be over 400,000 !

  15. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Kyle wrote:
    > When Virtual Guy wrote:
    >> Firefox 3 took away the Go button on the URL bar...

    > Gordon declared:
    >> Why do you need one? just hit return...

    > And Ron Hunter chimed in:
    >> Good Grief!
    >> It's just a button. If you can't press enter, then download an
    >> extension to put it back on the line. Sheesh!

    > Not everyone uses a keyboard when browsing the Web, so it's not "just
    > a button". I have a Tablet PC and often prefer browsing the web using
    > my Toshy in tablet mode which eliminates access to the keyboard. So,
    > yes, some people cannot use [enter] easily while browsing.
    >
    > (And, yes, I could configure one of the Tablet buttons to be [Enter]
    > but have them configured for other necessary uses.)

    You must really have fun with those text boxes.
    I am sure that you can find an extension to add that button. It really
    isn't difficult to do.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  16. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >>> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >>> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)

    >> I wonder whatever happened to this agreement:
    >>

    >> This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations
    >> and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain
    >> countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)
    >>

    >> That little line seems to have disappeared lately:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
    >>

    > That requirement was removed by the US Government several years ago

    where

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  17. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:78adnYsfOot8HcTVnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > You must really have fun with those text boxes.
    > I am sure that you can find an extension to add that button. It really
    > isn't difficult to do.

    When you paste into the TextField an arrow appears that functions as a Go
    button. It works fine on Tablets, and saves crucial space on smaller
    Tablets.

    Also, these two add-ons are crucial for FF3 on Tablets:
    Gesso: http://gesso.mozdev.org/
    Grab and Drag: http://grabanddrag.mozdev.org/

    Mickey Segal
    www.segal.org/tablet/

  18. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Virtual Guy wrote:
    > You are a complete moron, dude.

    I was just thinking that about you. So were many others who have already
    responded here...
    > We're not talking about text editing. We're talking about a Web browser.

    The address bar is a test *edit* widget ya moron!
    > Take your head out of your ass before you suffocate.

    You should take your own advice.
    > There IS a go button in the FF 3 interface. It just doesn't look the
    > same as it used to, and it's a few centimeters from where the old one
    > was. The programmers designed a go button into the interface, but you
    > think it's stupid?

    I never said that. I challenge you to show me where I did. I said your
    insistence that a go button was absolutely necessary was stupid.
    Unfortunately your too stupid to tell the difference.
    > Hmmm... I thing it's pretty obvious where the stupidity is...

    I agree. It is obvious! Others have commented on it. They agree with me.
    > I use both the keyboard and the mouse, whichever is the more
    > appropriate for what I'm doing at the time. The fact is, there IS a go
    > button, so the whole argument is moot. Go wank on your return key.

    Go wank you mouse!

    Later asshole!
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

  19. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 18.06.2008 17:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused kes to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> Don Nickell wrote:
    >>> ,snip>

    >>> Er... millions ... at least 7,149,572
    >>>
    >>> according to this counter....
    >>> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
    >>>

    >> I see on the map that the IRAN is trying to get on the good side of
    >> someone??? nearly 258.000 d/l's... which is FAR MORE than Canada...
    >> what has Mozilla done wrong (except that ChrisI lives there)
    >>
    >> reg

    > only 30,000 more than Canada
    >

    > but Canada has only 33 million people, and Iran has 65 million.
    > To keep up with us, they would have to be over 400,000 !

    By the same token, can I put a word in for little Luxembourg?
    6306 downloads, pop 400,000 (count them!)
    When normalised, this equates to 520000 Canadian downloads! :-)

  20. Re: Jesus Christ! Who Screwed UP??

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> I wonder whatever happened to this agreement:
    >>>

    >>> This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration
    >>> Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or
    >>> re-exported to certain countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Libya, North
    >>> Korea, Sudan and Syria)
    >>>

    >>> That little line seems to have disappeared lately:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
    >>>

    >> That requirement was removed by the US Government several years ago

    > where

    Wassenaar

    http://www.netcaucus.org/events/1999...tion/bb2.shtml